KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » When was Maul's prime?

When was Maul's prime?
Started by: TheIndyJedi

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Unbowed

I said comparable. And sure, why not? Sidious picked Maul under the premise that he was strong enough to succeed him.

Maul was very powerful and capable as of TPM, and remember that a big chunk of his training was outsourced to the Orsis academy and things like that. But even in his early 20s he was already comparable to people like Mace or Dooku.

Then he got bisected, which, given what we know of Anakin, should lessen his potential tremendously. Then he spent a decade as a madman, with no training or use of the Force whatsoever.

After Talzin heals him he is enough of a threat that both Yoda and Dooku sense him through the Force and are greatly concerned. And in a short while he becomes powerful enough that Sidious steps up and nips the threat in the bud.

Can you honestly say that if Maul hadn't lost half his body and had the benefit of a full 30-40 year apprenticeship, that he wouldn't have surpassed Sidious?

Even if we go by Lucas' now irrelevant "full potential Anakin is twice as strong as the emperor" quote, that would still make a full potential Maul comparable, assuming he caps at 120-140% of Sidious' power.

But leaving all that aside, in case you haven't noticed the Chosen One's potential doesn't mean much these days, with the rise of Rey and Kylo Ren.

Both experienced an insane rise in power way faster than Anakin did. Of course, Luke already did the same, so that's nothing new.

The Chosen One has lost his luster a long time ago.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2019 08:27 AM
Click here to Send Unbowed a Private Message Find more posts by Unbowed Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Yeah since this is all Disney Canon, even a few hours of training can make all the difference apparently.

Not that theres anything to suggest that comic takes place literally hours before TPM. Just the fact that Sidiois sends him to battle against both a seasoned master and padawan (and believing they would be no match for him), suggests some time has past since the days where a solo padawan was a challenge for him.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2019 10:49 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Meh, there is more evidence to suggest that the comics are set very close to the events of TPM, then there is to suggest otherwise...

Aside from the overall depiction of Maul and Palpatine, the opening crawls/intro pages for a few of the issues are indicative of such:
https://i.imgur.com/iucH2hK.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/sLYD8fO.jpg
"The moment of revenge is close at hand..."

https://i.imgur.com/0dQQHoA.jpg
"The Jedi's days are numbered..."

We also know that by the time of these issues, Palpatine had already allied himself with the Trade Federation:
https://i.imgur.com/eBEAYyH.jpg

And had already set his plans against the Jedi in motion:
https://i.imgur.com/eTONyMj.jpg

So yeah.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 27th, 2019 at 11:20 AM

Old Post Mar 27th, 2019 11:16 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ None of those are quantitive though and could still be 1 or 2 years out.

Anyway heres the official interview with the author:

https://www.starwars.com/news/exclu...-variant-covers

He does confirm it takes place shortly before the events of TPM, but he also confirms Maul is younger here than in any of his on screen appearances.

And I personally doubt a few weeks to a month prior would be considered younger. In fact from that statement, I would guess its at least a year prior.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2019 12:45 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

Agreed with Darth Thor. A couple weeks to a month earlier is doubtful that he'd be considered younger. He might even be considered older if anything. thumb up

Old Post Mar 27th, 2019 12:47 PM
Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Thor
He does confirm it takes place shortly before the events of TPM, but he also confirms Maul is younger here than in any of his on screen appearances.

And I personally doubt a few weeks to a month prior would be considered younger. In fact from that statement, I would guess its at least a year prior.
Lol, wut? It could take a place a day before TPM, and Maul would still technically be 'younger' than he was on screen.

Where in the heckfire are you getting a year prior from? Given the evidence I posted above, along with the writer himself stating that the series is set shortly before TPM, and I'd say we're talking about a few weeks here at the most.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2019 12:59 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

So he pointed out that he was a younger by a few weeks lol. Who would say that.

I said a year, because younger usually refer to at least a year lol.

Would be like saying Revenge Maul was younger than Revival Maul. Though technically true, Like who would say that lol.

Originally posted by Galan007
the writer himself stating that the series is set shortly before TPM[/url],

Yes, I already told you that.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2019 01:49 PM
Darth Thor

This is the exact quote (for context before you give more technicalities):

hes younger than he was in ANY of his on screen appearances, but there are still shades of the man HE WILL BECOME....

The man he will become next week? Yeah sure.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2019 02:00 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

So he pointed out that he was a younger by a few weeks lol. Who would say that.

I said a year, because younger usually refer to at least a year lol.

Would be like saying Revenge Maul was younger than Revival Maul. Though technically true, Like who would say that lol.
That's...one heck of a reach.

"The moment of revenge is CLOSE AT HAND..."
"The Jedi's DAYS ARE NUMBERED..."
"This series takes place SHORTLY BEFORE the events of TPM..."

Couple that with Palpatine being allied with the Trade Federation, AND stating that his plans against the Jedi were "already IN MOTION", and you honestly think this is the writer's way of describing "at least" a year gap? C'mon, man.

This is the exact quote (for context before you give more technicalities):

hes younger than he was in ANY of his on screen appearances, but there are still shades of the man HE WILL BECOME....

The man he will become next week? Yeah sure.
"The man he will become" is likely in reference to Maul's revival/portrayal in TCW(and beyond), because we were hardly given any information at all about "the man he was" during TPM itself. Heck, all the film really told us about Maul is that he was Palpatine's apprentice... It was only during TCW/SoD/Rebels that we learned anything deeper about his character(in canon, at least.) /shrug

So yes, ALL the evidence points to the comics being set right before TPM -- likely just a matter of weeks at most. I don't understand how this is even debatable, tbh.

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 28th, 2019 at 01:21 AM

Old Post Mar 27th, 2019 03:04 PM
NewGuy01
perpetual

Re: When was Maul's prime?

Originally posted by TheIndyJedi
I think most people here believe SOD was Maul's prime. We obviously know it wasn't Rebels, as confirmed by Matt Martin. But couldn't it be argued that Maul declined after TPM?

I mean, you could argue that, but it'd be an uphill battle with quotes like these floating around:

Maul had grown more powerful since the last time he'd been in Sidious's presence, before the Neimodian invasion of Naboo had turned diastrous and Obi-Wan had bested him inside the Theed power core. His hermitage on Lotho Minor, his lessons on Umbara, his restoration by Mother Talzin, and his training of Savage had all strengthened him, made him a more worthy vessel for the dark side to fill with its power.
--Darth Maul: Shadow Conspiracy p.180

Old Post Mar 27th, 2019 05:01 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ Probably not canon though.

Old Post Apr 1st, 2019 12:23 PM
Zenwolf

^ Probably not canon though.

Naw, only things be Canon are TCW and everything post 2014(unless noted otherwise).

Old Post Apr 1st, 2019 12:45 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ Right. So Shadow Conspiracy isnt Canon. And that line (plus the one in Sith Hunters) contracdict a lot of Filonis general comments on Mauls resurrection anyway.

Old Post Apr 1st, 2019 03:21 PM