KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
Started by: KingD19

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 3 4 [5]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-
Fallen Order borrows:

Combat from Sekiro/Dark Souls/Bloodbourne

Wall-running/Traversal from Prince of Persia/Uncharted/Tomb Raider

The concept of back-tracking once you learn a new ability to explore new areas from a ****ton of other games.

But to me, at least, it does it in a way that's enjoyable. I played it primarily for the story and getting to swing a lightsaber, and on those two things, the game does fine imo, albeit with a couple of frustrating moments.

It's definitely one of those "more than the sum of its parts" games, though.

At this moment, most games copy something from another. It's been too long and too many excellent games to wish all games were new.

Those type of arguments are valid for sure...but it's also personal and generally falls into if you loved/hate the game and need something to say about it. It's the same thing with "plot" holes. People throw them aside if they love the movie, or use them as evidence if they hate the movie.

Too me..this game reminded me of Tomb Raider. It has the same type of puzzles, openish areas you can go back too and Metroid style exploration. Sprinkle in some Dark Souls-ish combat and death system and you got this game.

And that's fine. This game was awesome and I had a ton of fun with it.

Old Post May 7th, 2020 11:56 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

As far as his criticisms of the game? He doesn't get to decide what a "real" Star Wars fan is any more than I do, and I'm as old school as they come. Yeah, it borrows from a bunch of other games, while forgetting that when Uncharted came out, people gave it shit for being a Tomb Raider clone. Either hold them all to the same standard, or don't. It's hypocritical otherwise. For me, not everything needs to be new, and at no point does Fallen Order claim to be.

I agree with this. I own almost every one of the movies on blu-ray except RoS, the entire series of Clone Wars and Rebels.

I own tons of SW games, I've completed KOTOR I & II, Jedi Academy, Classic Battlefront I & II, Republic Commando, Force Unleashed, and tons more, some multiple times over.

My first memory in life, PERIOD, is as a 4-year-old watching TPM for the first time, I'm a massive SW Fan and I L O V E D Fallen Order, it became one of my favorite SW campaigns, and the combat is very fun.

Just cause EA ****ed up Battlefront doesn't mean all their SW games will forever be trash...

..That said, they'll always be a shit company.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post May 7th, 2020 03:56 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I'll make a counter argument that there is only a couple of companies out there who have the resources to make Star Wars games. Also, making a Star Wars game is not easy when every decision is decided by Disney. I believe Capcom has the same issues with Marvel with their fighters.

It has been rumoured that the current EA president does not like the Star Wars deal the previous CEO made.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney takes publishing in house after the deal is over and starts giving projects to individual firms.

Old Post May 7th, 2020 05:11 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

I would love a Guerrilla, Naughty Dog or Insomniac Star Wars game.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post May 7th, 2020 05:30 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Smasandian
At this moment, most games copy something from another. It's been too long and too many excellent games to wish all games were new.

Those type of arguments are valid for sure...but it's also personal and generally falls into if you loved/hate the game and need something to say about it. It's the same thing with "plot" holes. People throw them aside if they love the movie, or use them as evidence if they hate the movie.

Too me..this game reminded me of Tomb Raider. It has the same type of puzzles, openish areas you can go back too and Metroid style exploration. Sprinkle in some Dark Souls-ish combat and death system and you got this game.

And that's fine. This game was awesome and I had a ton of fun with it.

For the most part, agreed.

I generally don't care if they take mechanics or hints from other games, as long as it's executed well. And Fallen Order was, for the most part.

Originally posted by Jmanghan
I agree with this. I own almost every one of the movies on blu-ray except RoS, the entire series of Clone Wars and Rebels.

I own tons of SW games, I've completed KOTOR I & II, Jedi Academy, Classic Battlefront I & II, Republic Commando, Force Unleashed, and tons more, some multiple times over.

My first memory in life, PERIOD, is as a 4-year-old watching TPM for the first time, I'm a massive SW Fan and I L O V E D Fallen Order, it became one of my favorite SW campaigns, and the combat is very fun.

Just cause EA ****ed up Battlefront doesn't mean all their SW games will forever be trash...

..That said, they'll always be a shit company.

I am glad that DICE was able to mostly fix Battlefront, but I'm not sure EA has learned their lesson at all.

I'll make a counter argument that there is only a couple of companies out there who have the resources to make Star Wars games. Also, making a Star Wars game is not easy when every decision is decided by Disney. I believe Capcom has the same issues with Marvel with their fighters.

It has been rumoured that the current EA president does not like the Star Wars deal the previous CEO made.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney takes publishing in house after the deal is over and starts giving projects to individual firms.

I agree to a point about resources. I just think it's a bad idea to put all one's eggs in the same basket.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post May 7th, 2020 05:57 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I agree. Part of the problem was Disney giving the gaming rights to EA.
And EA then not doing a good enough job providing games.

We will see in the future what Disney decides but I have doubts a major publisher will want to take Star Wars on. High cost, high expectations and most likely little profit.

Old Post May 7th, 2020 08:41 PM
NewGuy01
perpetual

Either hold them all to the same standard, or don't. It's hypocritical otherwise. For me, not everything needs to be new, and at no point does Fallen Order claim to be.

I think there's a valuable distinction between a game doing something new and having its own identity. There are plenty of games from tried-and-true genres that don't feel like they're copy/pastes like Fallen Order does.

Old Post May 9th, 2020 03:10 AM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Fallen Order has its own identity.

Old Post May 9th, 2020 03:45 AM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Glad to hear this will be a series. I really liked this game.

Old Post May 9th, 2020 04:15 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I am not sure if I want another Fallen Jedi with the same main character. I think it would be neat to see another Jedi type character.

Old Post May 9th, 2020 12:53 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

The character himself isn’t important. The game itself was a lot of fun. It was like a souls game with a difficulty setting and metroidvania.

Old Post May 9th, 2020 05:30 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Fallen Order has its own identity.

Your opinion has been noted. I, and apparently a lot of other people, felt like the gameplay was very derivative.

The environments were stunning, though. Especially the first level.

Old Post May 9th, 2020 11:34 PM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote