KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Matrix Movies » Why does the One have super powers?

Why does the One have super powers?
Started by: mirthrandir63

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
mirthrandir63
Computer Freak

Why does the One have super powers?

Whay makes Neo so special besides the fact that he is meant to reset the matrix? Why should he be given super powers? I mean sure, he rebels can all bend the laws of physics to some extent, but why should Neo be any more powerful than them?

"Money frees you from doing things you dislike. Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy."
~~ Groucho Marks

Old Post Jun 10th, 2003 06:27 PM
mirthrandir63 is currently offline Click here to Send mirthrandir63 a Private Message Find more posts by mirthrandir63 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Because he is the representation of the collective will of the people to be free. This is the source of his power.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 10th, 2003 06:37 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mirthrandir63
Computer Freak

The collective will of the people of Zion (don't see how it could be the will of every human since most don't even know about the matrix)? That seems to delve into real strange stuff with no possible scientific explanation. Then again neither does Neo's coming back to life in M1 make any scientific sense.

But supposing Neo draws his powers from the will of the people of Zio to be free, wouldn't that mean that Neo would get weaker anytime somebody from Zion dies? That would mean that an all out war against Zion would probably leave Neo very weak indeed.

"Money frees you from doing things you dislike. Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy."
~~ Groucho Marks

Old Post Jun 10th, 2003 07:05 PM
mirthrandir63 is currently offline Click here to Send mirthrandir63 a Private Message Find more posts by mirthrandir63 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
hatemachine

Afraid Not. The only reason he can do all the stuff that he can is because he KNOWS that the "rules" of the Matrix world don't apply to him. There has never been any mention of the collective will of all the enslaved folks..... sorry you are wrong.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2003 09:27 PM
hatemachine is currently offline Click here to Send hatemachine a Private Message Find more posts by hatemachine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mirthrandir63
Computer Freak

Ok that makes a bit more sense. But then couldn't anybody who believed hard enough do what Neo does or would they need to be the One?

~~ Groucho Marks

Old Post Jun 10th, 2003 09:29 PM
hatemachine

yes. that is why morpheus and trinity can jump across buildings and walk on walls.... the only thing they cant get past, is that there are NO limits.... and Neo can.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2003 09:33 PM
hatemachine is currently offline Click here to Send hatemachine a Private Message Find more posts by hatemachine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Of COURSE it is the collective will. Not of the people of Zion, of the people of the MATRIX who reject their surroundnings- subconsciously. They don't have to know it.

The One is the sum of the anomaly caused by that rejection, as the Architect describes. That is where his power comes from, that is why he can do what he does.

His powers are WAY beyond what any mere hacker can do.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 10th, 2003 09:34 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
hatemachine

I think that you misunderstood the Architect......

The anomaly was not caused by the rejection of the matrix by the people within the matrix. The anomaly was caused by the introduction of "freewill" into the Matrix. The coding that was implemented caused an error of sorts that enabled a person in the matrix to conciously reject it, and also to bend the rules of the matrix. After time the "error" would snowball to point of making it possible for the One to exist.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2003 09:47 PM
turin

I always thought that his powers come from himself not the will of others. like hatemachine said, Neo has reached a higher level of understanding of the matrix. he understands there is no limits. a person with that understanding only pops up every once and awhile. but then again like Ush said the architect does corilate the one to the building up of the subconcious resistence to the matrix, hence the need to reload. very good question, I never really thought of why he has the powers beyond the assumption that he is just damn good.

and filled with wrath and despair he mounted upon Rochallor his great horse and rode forth alone, and none might restrain him. He passed over Dor-nu-Fauglith like a wind amid the dust, and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Oromë himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2003 09:49 PM
turin is currently offline Click here to Send turin a Private Message Find more posts by turin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

To quote, hate:

"99% of all test subjects accepted the program, as long as they were given a choice...even if they were only aware of the choice at a near unconscious level. While this answer functioned, it was obviously fundamentally flawed, thus creating the otherwise contradictory systemic anomaly, that if left unchecked might threaten the system itself."

The obvious flaw being it has there is still a 1% rejection. This subconscious will creates the anomaly.

"Your life is the sum of a remainder of an unbalanced equation inherent to the programming of the matrix. you are the eventuallity of an anomaly which despite my sincerest efforts I have been unable to eliminate from what is otherwise a harmony of mathematical precision"

And this anomaly makes Neo what he is. It is not a bug in the free will concept, it is an inevitable result of free will's introduction.

Hence his powers derive from the subconscious desire of the people. As far as I can see your answer compliments mine.

To simplify:

Free choice creates the anomaly
The One is the final product of that anomaly
Therefore the One's powers are created by the free choice of the people-but not consciously.

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Jun 10th, 2003 at 09:57 PM

Old Post Jun 10th, 2003 09:53 PM
hatemachine

But, the anomaly is created by mathimatical equations. Which also created the 1% that subconsciously reject the matrix. The abilities Neo has and the fact that 1% of the people in the matrix reject it are caused by the same mathimatical equation. Not by the fact that people reject it.

He has powers because he is the One, he is not the One because he has powers.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2003 10:00 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

No, the 1% rejection CREATES the anomaly. The anomaly eventually ends up as the One.

He is the One simply because he IS the One, and the One has powers.

BtVS

Old Post Jun 10th, 2003 10:01 PM
hatemachine

To simplify:

The Mathimatical Equation created Free Choice
The same equation created the anomoly
Therefore freechoice and the anomoly were created at the same time.
Hence the anomoly could not have been created by the will of those still inside the matrix.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2003 10:04 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

No I do not agree, they introduce free will and that free will creates the anomaly. That is how I interpret it. The anomaly is not independant of the free will, it stems directly from it.

BtVS

Old Post Jun 10th, 2003 10:13 PM
hatemachine

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion

Old Post Jun 10th, 2003 10:15 PM
hatemachine

even if it is wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong

Old Post Jun 10th, 2003 10:15 PM
hatemachine

at least in my opinion

Old Post Jun 10th, 2003 10:16 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

"Ergo those that refused the program, while a minority, if unchecked would constitute an escalating probablility of disaster."

If the anomaly was independant of the free will these people would not matter, the damage would already be done. They DO matter, therefore clearly the anomaly springs from them

BtVS

Old Post Jun 10th, 2003 10:22 PM
Darth Vicious

I agree with HateMachine in my opinion the only reason Neo has powers its because he understands all the rules not because he draws the power from the people i think that as a programmer Neo understands whats going on and how he can change and do all the stuff he does and someone might say if they havent already that Trinity and Morpheous among others are hackers, while they are i dont think they have the programing aspect of hacking like Neo does to me all he does is ben the matrix to his will

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2003 11:10 PM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well I think the Architect's words are clear in describing Neo's powers coming from the anomaly created by the people, as Turin says.

Neo is not simply better than everyone else. He is fudamentally different.

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Jun 10th, 2003 at 11:20 PM

Old Post Jun 10th, 2003 11:17 PM