KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » What did Tarkin control as Governor?

What did Tarkin control as Governor?
Started by: Mendax

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mendax
Hand of God

What did Tarkin control as Governor?

It's pretty established at this point that Tarkin was #2 in the Empire by the time of ANH, but as a Governor what did he control exactly? I know he controlled a fraction of the Outer rim, which included Lothal, but what differentiated him from another Governor like Pryce? When both were on Lothal what made him superior to her considering BOTH were Governors?

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 01:17 PM
Click here to Send Mendax a Private Message Find more posts by Mendax Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Simple.

Tarkin was a Grand Moff and Oversector Governor. He controlled the entire Outer Rim(not just a fraction of it), along with ALL worlds/territories within it. Not only is the Outer Rim the largest portion of the galaxy by far, but it also contains more worlds than the Mid and Inner Rims, combined... That's the level of power Palpatine vested in that man.

Anywho, Pryce was just one of Tarkin's many local/planetary Governors. She only controlled Lothal, and still answered to Tarkin(obviously.)

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Apr 25th, 2019 at 01:39 PM

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 01:31 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mendax
Hand of God

Ahh I see.

I was just confused because I was rewatching Rebels and reading the Thrawn novel the other day and pretty much everyone just refers to him as either "Moff" Tarkin or "Governor" Tarkin. Never Grand Moff or Oversector Governor. If he sits above regular Moffs and Governors, you'd think he'd correct people for calling him by those lower ranks. It would be like a doctor letting people call him a nurse lol.

And the Thrawn novel states that Tarkin controlled "a large portion" of the outer rim, not the entire thing? confused

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 01:45 PM
Click here to Send Mendax a Private Message Find more posts by Mendax Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Mendax
Ahh I see.

I was just confused because I was rewatching Rebels and reading the Thrawn novel the other day and pretty much everyone just refers to him as either "Moff" Tarkin or "Governor" Tarkin. Never Grand Moff or Oversector Governor. If he sits above regular Moffs and Governors, you'd think he'd correct people for calling him by those lower ranks. It would be like a doctor letting people call him a nurse lol.
We've had this discussion before.

Tarkin's particular rank/title is somewhat situational, and changes in accordance with whatever issue(s) he is addressing at any given time. In all dealings with Palpatine, for example, he should be referred to as a Grand Moff. In military matters, however, he should be referred to as a Governor:
quote:
"To complement his new station, Tarkin designed and had made a gray-green uniform whose thick-belted, round-collared tunic featured four code cylinders and a rank plaque of twelve multicolored squares, six blue over trios of red and gold. In all dealings with the Emperor he was referred to as Grand Moff, but for ordinary interactions with military personnel he retained the honorific Governor."

-Tarkin

...But aside from Thrawn(and sometimes Vader), who typically did refer to Tarkin as "Governor" when they discussed military affairs, and "Moff" or "Grand Moff" when they discussed all other Imperial matters, no real distinction is usually made -- the titles/ranks are often used interchangeably. Simply put, Tarkin is Tarkin, and his position/status within the Imperial pecking order was well-known to pretty much everyone in the galaxy. As I've said before: it doesn't matter what you call the guy, he was still the Empire's second-highest ranking official in both political AND military affairs, period -- he answered only to Palpatine himself.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Mendax
And the Thrawn novel states that Tarkin controlled "a large portion" of the outer rim, not the entire thing? confused
Yes, but several other sources confirm that he controlled the entire Outer Rim...
quote:
"Was it not you who suggested the creation of oversectors and oversector governance as a means of enhancing our control?"
"It was, my lord," Tarkin replied.
"Then your wish is granted. The Outer Rim is yours to oversee -- and with it, the whole of the mobile battle station project," said the Emperor.

-Tarkin
quote:
"Tarkin's a busy guy. He keeps on the move. You've got to remember that in addition to being in charge of the Death Star operation, he is a Grand Moff. That is, he's the Governor of the ENTIRE Outer Rim territories... He represents the Empire across the ENTIRE Outer Rim.

-Pablo Hidalgo: Rebels Recon S01

"Grand Moff Tarkin Governs ALL of the planets in the Outer Rim for the Empire.":
https://i.imgur.com/2kkEMgO.jpg
-Rebels Visual Guide

"Wilhuff Tarkin--proud and heartless Governor of the Outer Rim territories.":
https://i.imgur.com/Hl0H7eY.jpg
-Star Wars: AEYNTK

"Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin--Governor of the Outer Rim territories.":
https://i.imgur.com/NT4EqmM.jpg
-Star Wars: AEYNTK

To help put that into perspective, here is a fairly recent/updated map of the SW Galaxy:
https://i.imgur.com/WQ7zOMi.jpg

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Apr 25th, 2019 at 02:27 PM

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 02:12 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote