KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » The Mad Max Timelines - original trilogy & Fury Road

The Mad Max Timelines - original trilogy & Fury Road
Started by: X-Continuity

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
roughrider
Thunderer

I grew up with the original trilogy, and The Road Warrior made the biggest impression on me as a kid when I was able to rent it on VHS. It was the most influencial of the three.

Mad Max 1, it was an impressive debut. Though Miller hadn't fully formed his post apocalyptic world at the time, everyone remarked on the film making talent behind what could have been just another exploitation revenge thriller. But it would take decades for me to see it without the hilarious bad American voice dubbing.

Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome, it actually took me forever to sit down and watch it in a full sitting. It just smacked of Hollywood taking the property and sanding down the rough edges, complete with the stunt casting of Tina Turner as his nemesis. As Miller shared his directing duties with someone else, his lack of passion behind the camera was reflected on screen. It's still good, but not really great.

Now, Mad Max: Fury Road - it was one the ten greatest movie experiences I ever had in a movie theatre, where I was so engaged it was like an out of body experience. That's only happened with films like the Original Star Wars trilogy, Saving Private Ryan, The Lord Of The Rings trilogy - films where I feel the director has me totally in grip. It was the best film of 2015.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Last edited by roughrider on Jul 12th, 2020 at 03:43 PM

Old Post Jul 12th, 2020 03:40 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
X-Continuity
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)

Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome, it actually took me forever to sit down and watch it in a full sitting. It just smacked of Hollywood taking the property and sanding down the rough edges, complete with the stunt casting of Tina Turner as his nemesis. As Miller shared his directing duties with someone else, his lack of passion behind the camera was reflected on screen. It's still good, but not really great.

[/B]

"Thunderdome" is a movie full of passion, vision, sense of dynamics and kinetic energy.
It's one of the most visionary and epic movies of the eighties.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2020 01:25 AM
X-Continuity is currently offline Click here to Send X-Continuity a Private Message Find more posts by X-Continuity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Oliver Lau
Restricted

Account Restricted

glisch

I'm not a fan of the Mad Max series. But Fury Road was very good. I watched Fury Road on Netflix. The movie is continuous action.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2022 10:01 PM
Oliver Lau is currently offline Click here to Send Oliver Lau a Private Message Find more posts by Oliver Lau Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by roughrider
I grew up with the original trilogy, and The Road Warrior made the biggest impression on me as a kid when I was able to rent it on VHS. It was the most influencial of the three.

Mad Max 1, it was an impressive debut. Though Miller hadn't fully formed his post apocalyptic world at the time, everyone remarked on the film making talent behind what could have been just another exploitation revenge thriller. But it would take decades for me to see it without the hilarious bad American voice dubbing.

Now, Mad Max: Fury Road - it was one the ten greatest movie experiences I ever had in a movie theatre, where I was so engaged it was like an out of body experience. That's only happened with films like the Original Star Wars trilogy, Saving Private Ryan, The Lord Of The Rings trilogy - films where I feel the director has me totally in grip. It was the best film of 2015.
Gladiator is the best movie experience I think I ever had.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2022 10:37 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Re: The Mad Max Timelines - original trilogy & Fury Road

Originally posted by X-Continuity

Of course, "Mad Max: Fury Road" (2015) is an alternate universe, so there's a standalone timeline only for it.

Is it now?

Miller clarified that he thinks of it as neither a sequel nor a reboot... rather a "revisiting".

How is Mad Max: Fury Road connected to the previous three Mad Max movies? Do you consider it a sequel, a reboot?

It’s connected in spirit. It’s kind of revisiting a familiar place for me. The films are loosely connected. Each one was made with different impulses, and this is clearly a postapocalyptic wasteland. (...)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...ebooted-794780/

Old Post Feb 4th, 2022 05:44 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Forget where I posted this before, maybe the Fury Road thread in the movies section, but Miller has said three different stances in regards to Fury Road. He's said it's a sequel to MM3, he's said it's a hard reboot and he's said the above, a re-imagining of the character.

It being a sequel to MM3 makes no sense, as his car was destroyed in MM2. The hard reboot and re-imaging stances do.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Feb 4th, 2022 06:51 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
X-Continuity
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
Forget where I posted this before, maybe the Fury Road thread in the movies section, but Miller has said three different stances in regards to Fury Road. He's said it's a sequel to MM3, he's said it's a hard reboot and he's said the above, a re-imagining of the character.

It being a sequel to MM3 makes no sense, as his car was destroyed in MM2. The hard reboot and re-imaging stances do.

Well,

Tom Hardy's Mad Max probably lived through some events vaguely or completely reminiscent of the ones that Mel Gibson's Mad Max lived through, so basically Fury Road could be a sequel to an alternate counterpart of the original "version" of Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

Last edited by X-Continuity on Apr 27th, 2022 at 10:50 PM

Old Post Apr 27th, 2022 10:46 PM
X-Continuity is currently offline Click here to Send X-Continuity a Private Message Find more posts by X-Continuity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote