KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » I was wrong about Asuka

I was wrong about Asuka
Started by: TempAccount

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
TempAccount
Nippon Daisuki

I was wrong about Asuka

Up until the beginning of EoE, I took the position that Asuka was nothing more than an annoying **** who brought nothing new to the show. I disliked her more than anyone Shinji included.

Once I reached the episodes showing her depressive phase and past, I felt some pity for her, but maintained my previous attitudes overall. I did not see her history or insecurities as excuses for her inability to behave like a decent human being towards others.

For some reason, I had a radical change of heart during her redemption under the lake and her "last stand" against the SEELE forces and Evas. I can't entirely pin it down, but I think it has something to do with her 'aha' moment where she resolves her issues, takes responsibility for herself, and ultimately makes a rebound from her depressed phase and put on a great performance.

Her motivations during her final stand seem to have changed and she's persistent as shown by the "I'll kill you I'll kill you" statements.

The insight shown during the instrumentality scenes to her psychology also did something.

But probably my favorite moment is when (assuming you believe this theory) she rejects human instrumentality in favor of her individuality and joins Shinji on the beach during the final scene.

I admire the teachings of the Sith and their embracement of individuality above all else, so maybe I see Asuka as candidate for the Sith in some bizarre way?

Anyone care to help me pin down what specific aspects of the aforementioned scenes led to my change of heart? I can't seem to find the words. Asuka went from being my least favorite character to possibly "best girl" (though it is close with Rei).

Banzai Nippon! ばんざい にっぽん!

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2019 02:31 AM
TempAccount is currently offline Click here to Send TempAccount a Private Message Find more posts by TempAccount Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Asuka is indeed best girl, I'm glad you eventually discarded the boring ****doll that Rei is for superior German engineering.

And it's because that Asuka, for all of her emotional and mental hang-ups, is proactive in how she tries to deal with them and with others, even if she's often not doing it in a healthy way. For example, Asuka and Shinji both are clearly attracted to each other, but while Shinji just tries to ignore it while trying to peek at her lewds when he thinks she isn't looking, Asuka outright proposes they kiss, though ultimately her own dysfunctional state of mind and refusal to let herself be vulnerable makes the moment more awkward and she ultimately couldn't make a concession of vulnerability to go through with pursuing her feelings fully.

She's also way hotter than Rei. thumb up

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2019 02:39 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2019 02:41 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TempAccount
Nippon Daisuki

lol I found that video an hour before this post.

But yeah the thing about her being more proactive about her issues than the others is probably what I unconsciously admire.

Do you know any good fanfics of her btw?

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2019 02:58 AM
TempAccount is currently offline Click here to Send TempAccount a Private Message Find more posts by TempAccount Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Nah, I don't really read any fanfiction and honestly never have.

Incidentally, do you plan on watching the Rebuilds?

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2019 03:01 AM
TempAccount
Nippon Daisuki

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NemeBro

Incidentally, do you plan on watching the Rebuilds?
I'll get to it eventually. To avoid my pathetic "Post Anime Depression Syndrome" I purposely do not finish some aspect of every franchise I've seen so far.

E.g Watched Love Live School Idol Project but not the Aquors sequel

Likewise I will hold off on the rebuilds for the indefinite future. It keeps the fire and lust alive, you know?

quote:

Well if you're ever interested I can hook you up with a high-quality Kaji - Asuka pairing if you're into that sort of stuff wink

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2019 03:12 AM
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

FANFICTION YUS.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2019 03:17 AM
victreebelvictr is currently offline Click here to Send victreebelvictr a Private Message Find more posts by victreebelvictr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote