KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Doctor Strange in the Multiverse Of Madness

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse Of Madness
Started by: carthage

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « First ... « 8 9 [10]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ares834
This movie was basically just some cool scenes and moments strung together by a bare-bone and shoddy plot. And those good moments were almost all pure Raimi. They should just have let him go all the way.

I'd have to agree.

There's a ton of bad writing tropes in this movie, and the entire plot is so weakly supported that characters have to act stupid in order to maintain its momentum.

At some point in this film, people who are explicitly geniuses do the dumbest things possible at the moment just to sabotage themselves and further the drama. Doctor Strange gets no arc and some pretty shoddy treatment from the narrative.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Also, how convenient for the story that every multiverse US of America Quantum Leaps into has an alternate Wanda that didn't die and has powers for evil-Wanda to Dreamwalk into and then teleport to whereever the plot needs her to be. Or the Memory Store sequence. Or how the Illuminaughty exist to basically get roflstomped and act stupid. Or how everyone acts like Doctor Strange is a huge liability and ******* even though he's literally been through hell and died multiple times to save the world/reality before this both in the original film and Infinity War.

And feels bad for Vision. I guess the writer didn't know about him being relevant in WandaVision or something. Just the fake kids that are somehow real in alternate dimensions because reasons.

Old Post May 20th, 2022 01:42 AM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ackley

Big crush! A darker, more mature episode told by the excellent Sam Raimi, the master of horror and adventure, with screenwriter the master of universes and multiverses, Michael Waldron (Rick and Morty, Loki).

Appvalley TutuApp Tweakbox

Last edited by ackley on May 25th, 2022 at 11:36 PM

Old Post May 25th, 2022 11:31 PM
ackley is currently offline Click here to Send ackley a Private Message Find more posts by ackley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by ackley
Big crush! A darker, more mature episode told by the excellent Sam Raimi, the master of horror and adventure, with screenwriter the master of universes and multiverses, Michael Waldron (Rick and Morty, Loki).

Appvalley TutuApp Tweakbox

Why do you steal stuff from other sites?

https://gettotext.com/is-doctor-str...ie-of-the-week/

Old Post May 26th, 2022 12:12 AM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Watched this. It was kind of messy, but had its fun moments.

It wasn't too scary for my 5 year old son, heh. I think that speaks to how watered down Sam Raimi's style had to be. It was visually awesome, though I would have liked to see more practical effects to accent the CGI, but sadly Marvel doesn't do much of that. It started strong, but the middle act got tedious AF.

Why did the fighting Doctor Stranges have a guitar hero battle by throwing literal music notes at each other? Lol

Ultimately I feel pretty similarly to the way RLM did. It has its moments but it's also kind of all over the place. I thought it started strong, those first two sequences were really nifty. My son even said something like, "I love this movie, I want to watch it again and again, everyday. Okay, Dada?" haha. Then characters started talking and he got kind of bored, heh.

Also, It needed more of the Cow Guy. I hope he gets a spin off... laughing out loud

Attachment: 5415855.jpg
This has been downloaded 0 time(s).

Old Post Jun 25th, 2022 08:40 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I watched this too last night, First time watching it too since i missed out on its
overall i'd give it a 7/10

i'd have to agree with Leech which doesn't happen alot, It started strong, but then after all that seemed to loose its way

Spider-Man: No Way Home is still better for the Marvel multiverse shenanigans.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2022 04:05 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Kazenji
I watched this too last night, First time watching it too since i missed out on its
overall i'd give it a 7/10

I give it the exact same. It wins a lot of points for being so imaginative. And I probably credit most of that to Raimi. But it loses some points for being a little too all over the place. I guess that's sort of to be expected given it's about traveling through the multiverse, though. I enjoyed watching Elizabeth Olsen do some acting. She was good (I haven't seen that TV show, though, Wandavision. I probably won't get around to it). I think this film was a huge improvement over the first one, for sure, but I also think this film would have been better if the first film had established a better foundation. Ultimately I think Doctor Stephen Strange works much better as a side character. I remember hating the first Doctor Strange, but then when I saw him in Avengers Infinity War I actually rather liked him. And I think that's why.

This movie was still pretty fun, though. I'd even consider throwing it back on just for the visual excitement.

I have a question, though: Why was Scarlet Witch so in need of the multiverse travel powers that the girl had if she could already basically do it? That wasn't explained well, or I missed it (my kids were distracting me).

Originally posted by Kazenji
i'd have to agree with Leech which doesn't happen alot, It started strong, but then after all that seemed to loose its way

C'mon, Kaz. We're not so different, you and I. We're just from opposite sides of the planet.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2022 11:17 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Ultimately I think Doctor Stephen Strange works much better as a side character. I remember hating the first Doctor Strange, but then when I saw him in Avengers Infinity War I actually rather liked him. And I think that's why.

For me its the Hulk in that department

not sure if its the director involved or the scriptwriters, Hulk & Doctor Strange just haven't been excellent in their solo movie outings.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2022 03:54 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote