KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » The Rise of Kylo Ren (comic series)

The Rise of Kylo Ren (comic series)
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ares834

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Sheev
Or Sidious was just embellishing his abilities to make Kylo realize that he'd orchestrated everything behind the scenes. One of those "I made and commanded Snoke, therefore anytime he spoke to you, it was really ME speaking to you" sort of things.

Because the implication here is that Snoke [and -only- Snoke] has been telepathically communicating with Kylo for years, and has clearly built a close relationship with Kylo based on that.

Or that's what Kylo is led to believe. TFA suggests that "Vader" has also communed with Kylo and we now know that voice is actually Sidious. I don't see why Snoke's voice would be anything different. The implication in TROS is clear, it was all Sidious. Now the EU may not follow that implication but I'd like to see concrete evidence otherwise.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2020 09:28 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Ah the joy the writers must have with trying to make everything coherent.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2020 09:42 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I'll be curious to see how the Snoke/Palpatine dynamic is fleshed out in the future.

In lieu of Palpatine's line in RoS, where he claims to be 'every' voice Kylo has 'ever' heard in his head, we know that Snoke himself was also capable of reading Kylo's thoughts/emotions, and had very powerful telepathic abilities(even Rey noted that Snoke's TP was immensely beyond Kylo's.)

Aside from that, the Visual Dictionary states that Snoke's primary role was to essentially groom Kylo into the next Sith Emperor -- and in RoS itself, Palpatine tells Kylo: "Snoke trained you well." IOW, it's clear that even though Snoke was a clone that Palpatine engineered, he was still acting fully independent from Palpatine the entire time. Moreover, Snoke also possessed the power to telepathically communicate with Kylo himself... Why would Palpatine trust him to groom/train Kylo for all those years, but not trust him to have random TP convos?

Granted, Palpatine obviously *could* telepathically speak to Kylo under the guise of Snoke and Vader, but does that mean he was literally the only being who ever communicated with him in such a way? I'm not so sure.

Hopefully the novelization(and maybe even this comic series) gives us a bit more insight. /shrug

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jan 8th, 2020 09:59 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Psychotron

Originally posted by ares834
Grandpa Sheev.

Sheev is Snoke's puppeteer so it's the same thing.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2020 11:04 PM
Click here to Send Psychotron a Private Message Find more posts by Psychotron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Well, more like the issue made it clear that Master Luke is a powerhouse. Not a knock on the KOR at all to get trounced by him.

It means Kylo is absolutely nothing next to Luke given his fight against the KOR in TROS.

Remember Luke wasnt being the least bit aggressive here. He chose to kill none of them and let them all walk away.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2020 11:49 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Originally posted by Galan007
Which was written by Cavan Scott, who is also one of the writers heading up Project Luminous.

I started the book and I'm about 3 hours into so far I'm digging it.

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2020 12:23 AM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

I'll be curious to see how the Snoke/Palpatine dynamic is fleshed out in the future.

In lieu of Palpatine's line in RoS, where he claims to be 'every' voice Kylo has 'ever' heard in his head, we know that Snoke himself was also capable of reading Kylo's thoughts/emotions, and had very powerful telepathic abilities(even Rey noted that Snoke's TP was immensely beyond Kylo's.)

Aside from that, the Visual Dictionary states that Snoke's primary role was to essentially groom Kylo into the next Sith Emperor -- and in RoS itself, Palpatine tells Kylo: "Snoke trained you well." IOW, it's clear that even though Snoke was a clone that Palpatine engineered, he was still acting fully independent from Palpatine the entire time. Moreover, Snoke also possessed the power to telepathically communicate with Kylo himself... Why would Palpatine trust him to groom/train Kylo for all those years, but not trust him to have random TP convos?

Granted, Palpatine obviously *could* telepathically speak to Kylo under the guise of Snoke and Vader, but does that mean he was literally the only being who ever communicated with him in such a way? I'm not so sure.

Hopefully the novelization(and maybe even this comic series) gives us a bit more insight. /shrug

thumb up I do not believe Palpatine was responsible for literally every single interaction with Kylo, and indeed the comic makes it clear that Snoke is the one directly involved with turning Ben to the dark side and orchestrating this whole plot. Sure, Palpatine”s patient hand was always behind Snoke”s own goals and actions, but the latter is ultimately an independent entity acting in the galaxy in lieu of Palpatine doing the dirty work himself, (beyond speaking to Kylo masquerading as Vader).

”You presume limits to my power. There are none.”

Old Post Jan 9th, 2020 01:26 AM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Originally posted by Darth Thor
It means Kylo is absolutely nothing next to Luke given his fight against the KOR in TROS.

Remember Luke wasnt being the least bit aggressive here. He chose to kill none of them and let them all walk away.

While I agree with your sentiment, i don”t think you can draw a clear comparison given a beaten/injured Kylo absolutely slaughtered the KOR in 10 seconds flat after receiving the lightsaber from Rey. Luke”s performance was probably more impressive, but you can”t really say Kylo is nothing to Luke given the two fights alone.

”You presume limits to my power. There are none.”

Old Post Jan 9th, 2020 01:29 AM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

The only distinction I would make is that Luke was explicitly not trying to kill the KoR, while Kylo [obviously] was.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2020 02:08 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

The only distinction I would make is that Luke was explicitly not trying to kill the KoR, while Kylo [obviously] was.
I agree.

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2020 02:43 AM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
While I agree with your sentiment, i don”t think you can draw a clear comparison given a beaten/injured Kylo absolutely slaughtered the KOR in 10 seconds flat after receiving the lightsaber from Rey. Luke”s performance was probably more impressive, but you can”t really say Kylo is nothing to Luke given the two fights alone.

Except Luke only used his lightsaber to deflect blaster bolts. He didnt use it offensively at all.

Kylos performance before getting a Saber was pretty embarrassing by comparison.

Luke is leagues ahead Kylo. Not a comparable performance in the slightest.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2020 08:41 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

^agreed tbh

Old Post Jan 9th, 2020 09:02 AM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Psychotron

Luke was also dominating them with the Force, while Kylo was helpless without a lightsaber.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2020 10:49 AM
Click here to Send Psychotron a Private Message Find more posts by Psychotron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Yeah, it was very obvious that Luke(even when restraining himself as to not kill them) was still SO far above the KoR that they didn't even begin to compare to him on any conceivable level.

In fact, the final page of their 'battle':
(please log in to view the image)

Reminded me of the Yoda/Asajj encounter from TCW:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcsrxcHZz6s&t=0m45s

The KoR's abilities were literally infantile in comparison to Luke. It was a glimpse of the bonafide 'Jedi Master' that I've been waiting to see appear in Disney canon. thumb up

Last edited by Galan007 on Jan 9th, 2020 at 05:47 PM

Old Post Jan 9th, 2020 05:30 PM
Mendax
Hand of God

Is Ren intentionally supposed to look like Kylo's twin brother? confused

Old Post Jan 9th, 2020 06:08 PM
Click here to Send Mendax a Private Message Find more posts by Mendax Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Yes. I'm pretty sure Ren is supposed to be one of the key players who fully seduces Kylo over to the dark side. Who better to help do that then someone who reminds Kylo of himself?

Old Post Jan 9th, 2020 06:36 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Psychotron

It was a glimpse of the bonafide 'Jedi Master' that I've been waiting to see appear in Disney canon. thumb up

Too bad it's in some crappy comic book instead of a movie.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2020 08:34 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Oh I would have much rather seen this Luke in the films instead of the emotionally broken, facepalm-inducing version Rian gave us instead... But here we are.

I'll take it, though. thumb up

Last edited by Galan007 on Jan 9th, 2020 at 09:06 PM

Old Post Jan 9th, 2020 08:55 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by Total Warrior
Knights of Ren : “We are legendary”
Me: “Who the heck are you? No one knows you”
That was as my reaction :P

WE ARE LEGENDARY

HAVEN'T YOU HEARD OF KMC FORUMS

GALAN TALKS ABOUT US ALL THE TIME THERE

; )

Thanks for the scans.

So that's where Kylo got the "I'm pretty but I still want to wear the mask" idea...

Old Post Jan 9th, 2020 09:11 PM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

The comic book isnt crappy. Im enjoying it.

Funny thing is I always imagined a sequel film Luke fight like that. Even imagined an indoor dark environment like that. Weird.

But yeah ill take it as a comic. Maybe we will get more in an animated show at some point. Now THAT id be happy with.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2020 09:12 PM