KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Where do morals come from?

Where do morals come from?
Started by: Peach

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Peach
mordrem

Where do morals come from?

This is something that we've been discussing a lot in my philosophy class, so I thought I'd ask it here.

Where do you think morals come from? Are they something that comes from religion/God, from society, from yourself, or born into you?

I believe that your morals are a mixture of what you learn from your society/culture and something that you come up with yourself. I don't believe in the thought that morals come from God, and I don't think that they're born into you because the difference between right and wrong is something that most children can't grasp at a young age and it must be taught to them.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Oct 4th, 2004 03:15 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Surgent
KMC's #1 Fake Mod

Someone respond......

Old Post Oct 5th, 2004 10:32 AM
Darth Surgent is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Surgent a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Surgent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Imperial_Samura
Anticrust Smurf

Good points, and I agree. In my eyes, a culture/society is the primary influence, often by way or family. Nurture I believe its called. We are not inherit built as moral creatures, we learn them to a large degree based upon the views and forces of family, state, sometimes Church, and very much Law. And they change, I mean, a moral noble in Medieval times believed it was morally right to burn witches and to fight non-Christians, as that is what the broad moral rules where of the day. These days new morals have replaced them based upon the different views of society.

However, some, such as the Ancient Greek Philosophers like Socrates, believed that we are basically good, and have inbuilt morals, which maybe can be right, after all, we know loyalty and killing is wrong.... to a degree. So yes, nurture over nature, we learn morals, we aren't born with them....

From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2004 11:10 AM
Imperial_Samura is currently offline Click here to Send Imperial_Samura a Private Message Find more posts by Imperial_Samura Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WhiteEagle
Bionic Commando

I believe morals are a byproduct of human interaction. In that way, anyone who lives in a society can learn morals without religion or god.

"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend."
-Albert Camus

Old Post Oct 5th, 2004 11:48 AM
WhiteEagle is currently offline Click here to Send WhiteEagle a Private Message Find more posts by WhiteEagle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

Re: Where do morals come from?

quote:
Originally posted by Silver Stardust
This is something that we've been discussing a lot in my philosophy class, so I thought I'd ask it here.

Where do you think morals come from? Are they something that comes from religion/God, from society, from yourself, or born into you?

I believe that your morals are a mixture of what you learn from your society/culture and something that you come up with yourself. I don't believe in the thought that morals come from God, and I don't think that they're born into you because the difference between right and wrong is something that most children can't grasp at a young age and it must be taught to them.

I have to agree on one level, that IMO morals don't stem from God, because I am not religious. But what about those who believe in the Christain faith? Moses? Wasn't it him who got the Ten Commandments?

(please excuse me if I have the details wrong)

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 5th, 2004 03:20 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
But what about those who believe in the Christain faith? Moses? Wasn't it him who got the Ten Commandments?
yes according to the bible it was Moses who got them, both jews and christians live by them

Old Post Oct 5th, 2004 03:27 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

quote:
Originally posted by finti
yes according to the bible it was Moses who got them, both jews and christians live by them

So when I said that those with certain faith believe that morals came from God I wasn't waaaay off?

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 5th, 2004 03:59 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

Aesop!

Old Post Oct 5th, 2004 04:00 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
So when I said that those with certain faith believe that morals came from God I wasn't waaaay off?
depends on who ou ask wink

Old Post Oct 5th, 2004 04:01 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

quote:
Originally posted by Linkalicious
Aesop!

Right back at ya rudeboy stick out tongue

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 5th, 2004 04:03 PM
Syren
dreaming

quote:
Originally posted by finti
depends on who ou ask wink

Of course big grin

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 5th, 2004 04:03 PM
Peach
mordrem

quote:
Originally posted by Syren

Nope, there are a lot of people who believe that morals come from God, and they don't all follow the same religion.

I don't believe in that, though.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Oct 5th, 2004 05:04 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ytaker
Humpty the whale.

Some morals clearly come from humans... ones that don't work in a society like robbery, murder, or traitor speech against the leader.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2004 09:59 PM
Ytaker is currently offline Click here to Send Ytaker a Private Message Find more posts by Ytaker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

Our morals come from our parents. People born to bad parents will usually become bad people. And the reverse is also true.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2004 10:45 PM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HiddenPotential

Sequence of events everything comes from everything.

From people that use their mind and not their instinct.

Last edited by HiddenPotential on Oct 6th, 2004 at 05:30 PM

Old Post Oct 6th, 2004 05:27 PM
HiddenPotential is currently offline Click here to Send HiddenPotential a Private Message Find more posts by HiddenPotential Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

quote:
Originally posted by Ytaker
Some morals clearly come from humans... ones that don't work in a society like robbery, murder, or traitor speech against the leader.

I'd like to quote Finti here; "It depends who you speak to"......

Ten Commandments again? 'Thou shalt not steal', 'Thou shalt not kill' etc etc?

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 7th, 2004 01:50 PM
Turbo-Cajun
Big Baby Jesus

What about the negative connotation placed on polygamy by the Catholic Church? This was not handed down by God, it was a decree that originated from the church leadership at the time intending to increase the amount land inheritted by the church. It is now immoral to take part in polygamy, and while it did in fact come from a religious source, it was motivated by clearly human motives such as greed and the desire to build wealth.

mmmm....polygamy...

Ytaker agreed with me once on October 9th, 2004

Old Post Oct 7th, 2004 04:46 PM
Turbo-Cajun is currently offline Click here to Send Turbo-Cajun a Private Message Find more posts by Turbo-Cajun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smallville
Last Son of Krypton

The basis of your morals are taught by:

1) Teachers
2) Parents
3) Muppets/various other educational and entertaining televisions
4) Adults in general.

You learn most of them, but shape them to how you feel a decent human being should act.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2004 08:17 PM
Smallville is currently offline Click here to Send Smallville a Private Message Find more posts by Smallville Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ytaker
Humpty the whale.

quote:
Originally posted by Syren
I'd like to quote Finti here; "It depends who you speak to"......

Ten Commandments again? 'Thou shalt not steal', 'Thou shalt not kill' etc etc?

Primitive societys also made some of those rules. It is unlikely that
a. Murdering somebody (e.g. killing without a valid reason, which isn't easy) like Abel, wasn't a happy act.
b. Stealing the fruit of truth from the tree, or stealing any leader's gold is not appreciated.
c. Calling your leader a stuck up prig just speaks for itself, doesn't it.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2004 11:12 PM
Ytaker is currently offline Click here to Send Ytaker a Private Message Find more posts by Ytaker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
Murdering somebody (e.g. killing without a valid reason, which isn't easy) like Abel, wasn't a happy act.
all depends on idiology

Old Post Oct 8th, 2004 12:57 AM