KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Martin Scorsese Slams Marvel

Martin Scorsese Slams Marvel
Started by: BrolyBlack

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Insane Titan

Meh MS is right with some points he made and wrong with other. laughing out loud at Disneyshill freaking out, seriously get a grip.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2019 05:47 PM
Insane Titan is currently offline Click here to Send Insane Titan a Private Message Find more posts by Insane Titan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kazenji
Joss Whedon replied to it on twitter.

So did James Gunn

Old Post Oct 5th, 2019 06:21 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Re: Re: Martin Scorcese Slams Marvel

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
[B

Lol, So all you comic nerds, try not to get all your panties in a bunch, because Scorsese is an old-school filmmaker, so this shouldn't be all that surprising.

nah i said that coz i knew you and others would be butthurt over it.... rob has the best statement in here

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Oct 5th, 2019 07:46 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
scorcese is correct. thumb up

unlike him, I enjoy some comic book movies, but they are all pretty dumb and lacking any true substance

The Dark Knight in 2008 was maybe the Best film that year, and one of the Best of the decade. It actually shook up the Oscars, as they realized they were being too snobbish towards genre films, that they could be the equal of any indie drama. So the Best Picture nominees got expanded from five to ten the next year.

Scorsese is one of the greatest filmmakers, but it's disappointing hearing this from him as he's long been a lover of all film history. Now he's just another sourpuss complaining about Marvel & other Comic Book films sucking up almost all the attention from audiences; he and Steven Spielberg should start a club for grumpy old directors.

Complaining about these genre films is the same as the decades long complaint about Science Fiction & Fantasy films being the dominant genre in Hollywood, ever since Star Wars in 1977. You'd think these guys would be used to it by now.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Oct 5th, 2019 08:52 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Steven Spielberg didn't exactly slam comic book movies, but he did affirm that they have a shelf life. He said something to the effect of comic book movies fading out of popularity over time like Westerns did.

I personally disagree.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Oct 5th, 2019 09:01 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Scorsese's criticism of films from Marvel - I mean, this is the guy who made a movie celebrating the life & career of Georges Melies (Hugo, 2011) who basically pioneered special effects at the beginning of the movie industry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_M%C3%A9li%C3%A8s

If he traveled back in time and met Melies, would he actually say to him his films are just rides with no substance?

Old Post Oct 5th, 2019 09:18 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

Originally posted by Impediment
Steven Spielberg didn't exactly slam comic book movies, but he did affirm that they have a shelf life. He said something to the effect of comic book movies fading out of popularity over time like Westerns did.

I personally disagree.

I think if anything they’re growing, even on TV there’s loads of comic book shows coming out

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Oct 5th, 2019 09:38 PM
steverules_2 is online now! Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
nah i said that coz i knew you and others would be butthurt over it.... rob has the best statement in here

...So Says QueenDisneyShillCuck!

Old Post Oct 5th, 2019 09:41 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

He's wrong in the sense that the statement that they aren't cinema is whiny girlish hyperbole, but on the whole he is right that the MCU is a largely spectacle-driven experience. I don't know how he feels about comic book films in general, but note he mostly is talking about the MCU here, of which there is not a single film in the entire franchise on par with The Dark Knight or Logan.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2019 09:47 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

If the MCU was half as dominant, he wouldn't be saying anything at all. Comic Book related movies were just a weird genre that used to 'over there'; now they're sucking all the oxygen out of the room, and Scorsese just made a movie that will mostly be seen online via Netflix. He's clearly frustrated.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2019 10:20 PM
NemeBro

Originally posted by roughrider
If the MCU was half as dominant, he wouldn't be saying anything at all.
I don't care and it doesn't matter. He's still mostly correct.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2019 01:36 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

The MCU Marvel films is cinema, It's just not the sort of cinema that he likes

doesn't surprise me Scorcese attacking these sort of films, The Hollywood elite are always doing it.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2019 02:49 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

What others have said: MS is entitled to his (subjective) opinion, doesn’t make it universally objective.

I will never be a memory.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2019 03:21 AM
Eon Blue is currently offline Click here to Send Eon Blue a Private Message Find more posts by Eon Blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

(please log in to view the image)

laughing out loud

The unintentional humor here is just exquisite.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2019 05:31 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ Lmao

Old Post Oct 6th, 2019 05:38 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Originally posted by ares834
(please log in to view the image)

laughing out loud

The unintentional humor here is just exquisite.

Yes. Welcome to the McCU.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2019 06:55 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Personally, i’ll never watch THE IRASHMAN, so I guess Martin and I are even.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2019 10:01 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

90 years ago, talkie movies replaced silent movies, and silent screen stars like Lillian Gish complained that the movies were ruined, that talkies were an inferior art form. The older generation often complains about what replaces them.

Of these older directors, the one I don't hear making complaints about Comic Book movies is George Lucas. Maybe because he's retired and rich AF, but maybe because he's the only other one who knows about building a massive movie universe that can't be contained by one film.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2019 07:30 PM
riv6672

90 years ago, talkie movies replaced silent movies, and silent screen stars like Lillian Gish complained that the movies were ruined, that talkies were an inferior art form. The older generation often complains about what replaces them.

Of these older directors, the one I don't hear making complaints about Comic Book movies is George Lucas. Maybe because he's retired and rich AF, but maybe because he's the only other one who knows about building a massive movie universe that can't be contained by one film.

Wise af words right there.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2019 07:46 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Yes. This happens Every Generation. Always funny to see how the "Current" Generation always acts like it Won't Happen to them!

I always Larf at that.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2019 08:04 PM