KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Martin Scorsese Slams Marvel

Martin Scorsese Slams Marvel
Started by: BrolyBlack

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Psychotron

He's right. Marvel is the McDonald's of cinema. Cheap and unhealthy.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2019 01:41 PM
Psychotron is currently offline Click here to Send Psychotron a Private Message Find more posts by Psychotron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
That's basically how I feel, except they've also made some utter shit, like Captain Marvel. Of course, no one except quanch gives them creepy loyalty. lol

Captain Marvel has grown on me after repeated viewings, but still yeah it's not up to the caliber of most marvel films.

quote:
I'm just saying it's idiotic to write off such an accomplished filmmaker's opinion as just a "whiny bi#ch of an old man" (in your beautifully eloquent words). Obviously he cares about the integrity of film as an artform and not just a themepark machine for sucking money out of teens and fanboys. He probably would have felt the same way in his 30s, so being in his 70s likely has nothing to do with it. I think he could have qualified his statement a little bit more (for example it's obviously still cinema, just kitsch), but it is just a short blurb.

So yeah, you don't have to agree with him, but he has a point. A very good point.

If he cares about the integrity of film as an artform I'm not sure why he hasn't made similar comments about rom coms. Or hell most comedies in general wouldn't uphold the integrity of film as an art form. And forget marvel for a second, his logic would apply to all movies that are just mindless action movies. Hope you aren't a fan of the Fast and Furious franchise.

And I disagree I don't think he has a point. A shitty movie or a hugely successful movie that is good but lacks depth do not somehow take away from films with "integrity". What about some of his films? Is a cliche mob movie like "The Departed" a movie with integrity? Don't get me wrong, I like the film, but it's not like it brings anything new to the genre. And likewise I feel the upcoming "The Irishman" will be good, but I also am not expecting anything new to be brought to the genre.

Last edited by Surtur on Oct 18th, 2019 at 01:58 PM

Old Post Oct 18th, 2019 01:53 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Surtur
If he cares about the integrity of film as an artform I'm not sure why he hasn't made similar comments about rom coms. Or hell most comedies in general wouldn't uphold the integrity of film as an art form.

Romance, drama, comedy, etc... all fundamentally based on real-world human experience and emotion.

Nice try, though.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2019 02:00 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Romance, drama, comedy, etc... all fundamentally based on real-world human experience and emotion.

Nice try, though.

So Eurotrip has integrity, but Avengers Infinity War does not?

EDIT: Also are you saying a movie must have real world human experience and emotion for it to have integrity?

Last edited by Surtur on Oct 18th, 2019 at 02:03 PM

Old Post Oct 18th, 2019 02:01 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

You just like to argue, Surt. Of course you can quibble over specific films.

But the point (that you seem to be missing) is that Avengers is a theme park ride not based in reality and comedy/romance, etc is based in reality.

That's his point, and it's a good one. I'm sorry it goes over your head.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2019 02:04 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

You just like to argue, Surt. Of course you can quibble over specific films.

But the point (that you seem to be missing) is that Avengers is a theme park ride not based in reality and comedy/romance, etc is based in reality.

That's his point, and it's a good one. I'm sorry it goes over your head.

I'm not missing his point I just disagree.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2019 02:08 PM
Drsoe08
Nutjob

Francis Ford Coppola joins the fight hahaha

https://news.yahoo.com/coppola-back...-173112180.html

"When Martin Scorsese says that the Marvel pictures are not cinema, he's right because we expect to learn something from cinema, we expect to gain something, some enlightenment, some knowledge, some inspiration. I don't know that anyone gets anything out of seeing the same movie over and over again, Martin was kind when he said it's not cinema. He didn't say it's despicable, which I just say it is."

Old Post Oct 20th, 2019 04:00 AM
Drsoe08 is currently offline Click here to Send Drsoe08 a Private Message Find more posts by Drsoe08 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

But it's literally cinema.

Not that I don't agree mostly with their sentiment.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Oct 20th, 2019 04:04 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Its like when you say Restaurant. TECHNICALLY McDonalds can be grouped in with places like Cheesecake Factory.

Now where near the same thing but TECHNICALLY....

Old Post Oct 20th, 2019 04:07 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Drsoe08

"When Martin Scorsese says that the Marvel pictures are not cinema, he's right because we expect to learn something from cinema, we expect to gain something, some enlightenment, some knowledge, some inspiration. I don't know that anyone gets anything out of seeing the same movie over and over again, Martin was kind when he said it's not cinema. He didn't say it's despicable, which I just say it is."

So what Coppola is saying we're not aloud to have some fun when we go to the movies, Always has be some educational experience.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2019 05:09 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by Drsoe08

Says the guy who milked The Godfather for HOW many sequels?
And gave us the cinematic classic Captain EO...:

(please log in to view the image)

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2019 05:18 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

How does making sequels equate at all with what he is saying?

You don't have to agree with him. But nothing he stated was hypocritical in the slightest.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2019 05:36 AM
ares834 is online now! Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I just don't think it is up to any one person to try to define what cinema is. And you can certainly learn things from a Marvel film.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2019 02:03 PM
Darth Thor

Lol the more the Marvel fans get triggered over others opinions, the more big names are gonna speak out against Marvel.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2019 09:43 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
playa1258
Fear is the mind killer

The fanatical fanbase of the MCU is now becoming an easy target.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2019 11:02 AM
playa1258 is currently offline Click here to Send playa1258 a Private Message Find more posts by playa1258 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Looks more like it's the "big names" that are triggered.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2019 11:04 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Silent Master
Looks more like it's the "big names" that are triggered.

Seems like you just got triggered by me calling them big names. If so youve ironically just proven whose getting more triggered.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2019 11:42 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Seems more like you got triggered by me using "".

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2019 11:48 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Wow, I'd never thought the MCU fans would be so full of salt

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Oct 21st, 2019 11:54 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Lol the more the Marvel fans get triggered over others opinions, the more big names are gonna speak out against Marvel.

It's the opposite, it comes off once again like grouchy old men whining. Plus when you've made Godfather 3 you have no room to talk shit.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2019 03:01 PM