KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Is Chicago's School system broken?

Is Chicago's School system broken?
Started by: Putinbot1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Is Chicago's School system broken?

As Chicago school district, the third largest in the US and one of the most underachieving enters the 5th day of a teachers strike over pay, class size and conditions. The mayor begs teaching staff to return to work. In a City with historically poor levels of educational attainment and very high levels of unemployment. It is clear Education is not high on the Chicago list of priorities. The people of Chicago continue to be educationally disadvantaged and by demographic unlikely to gain a College education. Thoughts?

Last edited by Putinbot1 on Oct 23rd, 2019 at 07:32 AM

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2019 07:29 AM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I thought this was going to be about the Chicago School of economics. To which the answer would have been: yes, it's f*cking gay.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2019 07:48 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Teachers are demanding unreasonable shit like rent control. Just the latest deal...once it fully kicks in, if you were making 72 grand you'd be making nearly 90(heard this on the radio today). Whenever I go out I see protesters, adults and kids just standing on the corner holding signs. Kids that should be in school.

Brother says his sources say it will end Friday, but who knows. The other day protesters were literally walking out into the street and I don't just mean when the light was red, they did it when it was green too.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2019 08:57 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
Teachers are demanding unreasonable shit like rent control. Just the latest deal...once it fully kicks in, if you were making 72 grand you'd be making nearly 90(heard this on the radio today). Whenever I go out I see protesters, adults and kids just standing on the corner holding signs. Kids that should be in school.

Brother says his sources say it will end Friday, but who knows. The other day protesters were literally walking out into the street and I don't just mean when the light was red, they did it when it was green too.
This all ties in with Chicago's low performing school rating.

https://www.chalkbeat.org/posts/chi...is-report-card/

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2019 09:55 AM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

given the intellectual performance of chicago natives on this forum, I think the answer to the topic is a resounding "yes"

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2019 11:27 AM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
given the intellectual performance of chicago natives on this forum, I think the answer to the topic is a resounding "yes"
Who is the Chicago native on this forum Bash?

Edit: Oh, just realised... It's Surt.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2019 11:42 AM
snowdragon

Re: Is Chicago's School system broken?

Originally posted by Putinbot1
As Chicago school district, the third largest in the US and one of the most underachieving enters the 5th day of a teachers strike over pay, class size and conditions. The mayor begs teaching staff to return to work. In a City with historically poor levels of educational attainment and very high levels of unemployment. It is clear Education is not high on the Chicago list of priorities. The people of Chicago continue to be educationally disadvantaged and by demographic unlikely to gain a College education. Thoughts?

I would imagine a large part of that problem comes from relatively high levels of poverty in many areas and even if many people don't earn below the poverty line they still don't make enough to realistically make ends meet.

The teachers union in chicago is very powerful and demands ALOT puts a huge burden on the city resources that are already lacking.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2019 11:51 AM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I saw a protester in a Gumby costume earlier. Props for that at least.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2019 02:18 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

I live in Chicago, I am a progressive, and I support both teachers and unions, but even I find their demands unreasonable. They are asking things of the mayor that are not in her power to grant—things that are decided by state lawmakers—which signals to me, that they are using those things as a pretense to strike.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2019 04:26 PM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I've never been to Chicago so excuse my ignorance, but are the schools crappy across the whole city or just in the shithole parts of Chicago?

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2019 04:27 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Originally posted by Robtard
I've never been to Chicago so excuse my ignorance, but are the schools crappy across the whole city or just in the shithole parts of Chicago?

The same few neighborhoods with all the gun violence.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2019 04:35 PM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Chicaco is a Left Wing City has been run by Extremely Leftist Individuals. They have Polluted and Infected the City from the Top down to its very core.
People like Adam.

Of Course Chicago is BROKEN! The Left Destroys everything it Touches.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2019 06:48 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Trump is attempting to visit Chicago for the first time since Chicagoans forced him to abort his 2016 rally. Let's see how that works out for him.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2019 07:57 PM
dadudemon

Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Trump is attempting to visit Chicago for the first time since Chicagoans forced him to abort his 2016 rally. Let's see how that works out for him.

I hope Trump stays safe during his visit and nothing bad happens to him so we don't have to deal with a Democrat being in office for four years.

Ugh, with how well the Democrats are doing these days with their anti-Trump and anti-GOP propaganda, they may have whipped a moronic leftist up into such a frenzy that someone tries to take out Trump.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2019 08:36 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

If someone tried to take out Trump it's far more likely going to be a frothed up disgruntled Rightist who lost their job due to Trump's policies and upset that Trump hasn't made 'America great again" as promised. Easily a 94.6% chance if it going that way.

But agreed on nothing bad happening to Trump, we don't need something even worse than the Patriot Act and Homeland Security thought up by Rightist and implemented, cos that would happen if an assassination attempt were to occur now.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Oct 23rd, 2019 at 08:49 PM

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2019 08:43 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by dadudemon
I hope Trump stays safe during his visit and nothing bad happens to him so we don't have to deal with a Democrat being in office for four years.

Ugh, with how well the Democrats are doing these days with their anti-Trump and anti-GOP propaganda, they may have whipped a moronic leftist up into such a frenzy that someone tries to take out Trump.

Yup, wouldn't put it past some crazed lefty at this point.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2019 08:50 PM
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by dadudemon

If Trump is assassinated or somehow otherwise incapacitated to the point that he is unable to continue on as president then Pence will become president, not a democrat.. and honestly, I think crazed lefties would realize pretty damn quickly that they'd rather have Trump than Pence anyday lol.

Or perhaps you were trying to say that if anything did happen to Trump then Pence would end-up losing the 2020 election? Considering you said "deal with a democrat in office for four years" I guess it's more likely that you were talking about the latter.

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2019 09:05 PM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Surtur
Yup, wouldn't put it past some crazed lefty at this point.

It's pretty pathetic (but not at all surprising) that Robbie is making the claim that if Trump were to be assassinated that it would be a right-winger rather than a typical crazy leftist lol.

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2019 09:11 PM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

SOME Rightist like to shoot people in cowardly ways. Far more of those rightists than violent leftists.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2019 09:55 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's not rightists responsible for a majority of gun homicides.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2019 09:58 PM