KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » False Idol: Why the Christian Right Worships Donald Trump

False Idol: Why the Christian Right Worships Donald Trump
Started by: Patient_Leech

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Eternal Idol
Isn't that exactly what they're doing though? Abortions make them uncomfortable, but they don't affect the quality of their lives. It's the best course of action for many other people's lives, and it's none of their business, but instead of simply choosing to not abort pregnancies themselves, they vote to make it illegal because they feel it's wrong and equate it to murder.

Anyhow, you asked if they'd be better off voting for Democrats, and the answer is yes...unless they're wealthy and want the biggest tax breaks they can get.

It's not rational, but it is what it is. Some illegal getting deported doesn't impact a lefties life, but they'll cry about it all the same.

And I guess I should rephrase my question to "would they be better off *based on what appears to be important to them*"

When I see evangelicals talk, it's not usually to cry about tax cuts.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2019 10:40 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Lol, Surt. To say all politicians participate in the same level of pandering and corruption as Trump is to be damn near blind.

Originally posted by Eternal Idol
Anyhow, you asked if they'd be better off voting for Democrats, and the answer is yes...unless they're wealthy and want the biggest tax breaks they can get.

see attached

Attachment: fb_img_1574596342078.jpg
This has been downloaded 0 time(s).

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2019 10:44 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Who said the same? It shouldn't *need* to be the same. Either corruption bothers you or it doesn't. Choose. "My guy is less corrupt than yours" is a shitty defense.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2019 10:45 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Lol, Surt. To say all politicians participate in the same level of pandering and corruption as Trump is to be damn near blind.

see attached

See: Equalization Tactics

-Blindly support X
-X does something bad
-Claim: "they're all bad!"
-Blindly support X

It's the way they justify the unjustifiable.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2019 10:48 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
See: Equalization Tactics

-Blindly support X
-X does something bad
-Claim: "they're all bad!"
-Blindly support X

It's the way they justify the unjustifiable.

^Only the unintelligent agree with this

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2019 10:51 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Lol, Surt. I don't support semi-corrupt candidates either. Bernie Sanders doesn't take corporate handouts. So he's actually trying to represent The People.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2019 10:52 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eternal Idol
Lono, "The Dog"

Originally posted by Surtur
It's not rational, but it is what it is. Some illegal getting deported doesn't impact a lefties life, but they'll cry about it all the same.

And I guess I should rephrase my question to "would they be better off *based on what appears to be important to them*"

When I see evangelicals talk, it's not usually to cry about tax cuts.

No, but it does affect the quality of life for the people being deported and the families back home they were sending money to. Big glaring difference there between that example and abortions.

When you word it like that, sure, the evangelicals will feel better represented by Republicans, at least on the surface. They'd be better off under Democrats, not because they're Democrats, but because they're generally more progressive than Republicans, which tends to benefit non-wealthy people more.

Eternal Idol is currently offline Click here to Send Eternal Idol a Private Message Find more posts by Eternal Idol Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

And yes, you are using an equalization tactic.

Robtard
Senor Member

He literally did it in his reply to you...

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2019 10:54 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Lol, Surt. I don't support semi-corrupt candidates either. Bernie Sanders doesn't take corporate handouts. So he's actually trying to represent The People.

That's fine, but people tend to think whining over a behavior Trump does and supporting someone who does the same(even to a lesser extent) is okay. It is not. I'm glad you don't do that.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2019 10:55 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

No I'm not.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2019 10:55 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

That's fine, but people tend to think whining over a behavior Trump does and supporting someone who does the same(even to a lesser extent) is okay. It is not. I'm glad you don't do that.

Here you're saying that if a given candidate accepts one shady donation of $50, it's no different than a candidate that accepts forty shady donations of $1,000,000.00.

When in reality, the latter is much worse. See: Equalization Tactics

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2019 10:58 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm saying you either whine over both or neither. Only a piece of shit would think shady donations are okay as long as they are under a certain price.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2019 10:59 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Not equalizing isn't excusing the behavior, no matter how hard you try.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2019 11:05 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Good, don't excuse it. And if you feel taking shady donations means someone should not be in power you feel that way about *anyone* taking those kind of donations, no matter if it's 50 bucks or 50 million.

Hell the best part? You can do that while *still* thinking taking the 50 mil was worse. Awesome.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2019 11:08 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Equalization Tactic sandwich.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2019 11:12 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

So tell me how much money in shady donations a person would have to take before you give a shit smile

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2019 11:14 PM
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Evangelicals would lean more Democrat if they actually followed Jesus's teachings.

Though I can see the argument for being democrat based on the faith, ie. caring through the poor and dispossessed, I don't think it's necessarily set in stone on the level of policy.

My personal stance on government largely derives from more pacifistic-leaning and peace upholding values in my faith, an aversion I have towards the use of violence and threat of violence, save for the preservation of human rights against violent actors, and I find the state to inherently exist as an institution of violence. Thus I am convicted towards a more classical liberal political philosophy, as while I believe in caring for the poor and and believe in a certain standard of sexual ethics beyond mere consent, I do not view these goals as justification for the leveraging of the violence of the state over other people.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2019 11:21 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Jesus probably wouldn't appreciate people who don't believe in him pulling this "what would jesus do " shit tho.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2019 11:23 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

So tell me how much money in shady donations a person would have to take before you give a shit smile

I'd have to know the specifics and context, as not everything is either black or white so to speak in reality, no matter how hard you try with your tactics.

eg if Buttigeig took $1,000.00 from the anti-Abortion lobby, I'd think that's shit, but he'd not lose my vote on that alone, as $1,000.00 effectively buys zero political pull. I'd also want to know why he did.

Same question to you. Go.

Last edited by Robtard on Dec 3rd, 2019 at 11:32 PM

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2019 11:29 PM