KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Why is Rey so powerful *SPOILERS for TROS*

Why is Rey so powerful *SPOILERS for TROS*
Started by: Darth Thor

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Thor

Why is Rey so powerful *SPOILERS for TROS*

Not going to use spoiler tags here for The Rise of Skywalker. You have been warned.

————————

So why was Rey so powerful all along?

Is it because of her Empress bloodline, or is it because Jedi spirits have been empowering her this whole time?

I specifically mean why she was powerful prior to any training.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 11:21 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Because she is a Mary Sue and the Force is female. KK wanted an OP female Jedi to push her feminist agenda. That's the reason.

Being a Palpatine shouldn't make her anywhere near as powerful as she is in these films. Remember Palpatine is supposed to be inferior to Anakin and Luke. The Palpatine bloodline is weaker than the Skywalkers. And the Jedi Spirits didn't help her until the end of this film (which further reinforces her Sue status).

RoS does try to explain it with the Force Dyad nonsense. But it's just that.... nonsense.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 11:38 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Because of her bloodline, she is a Palpatine, the strongest Sith in the history of the galaxy. But overall, she is not that strong tbh. I mean, in ep 7 she held her own against a very wounded Kylo (and maybe he wasn’t even going for the kill). In the last movie she trained with Leia (and with Luke in TLJ) and was weaker than Kylo. She got no diff ed by Sidious alongside Ben. So I guess it depends on what you mean by “strong”.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 11:44 AM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Not that strong? She has a single year of training but that's enough to allow he to accidentally blow up a large ship with Force Lightning. She randomly learns Force Powers for no reason like the mind trick in Ep 7. Or how about how she rediscovered some super force healing skill that Anakin the god damned Chosen One was looking for and unable to discover! In Ep 8 she was able to effortlessly moves hundreds of boulders with a single day of training. By comparison, Luke was barely able to summon his saber in ESB after he trained for nearly three years! And then at the end of RoS she was able to go Avatar state and kill Super Sidious. She is hilariously over powered.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 11:51 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Obviously we know shes a Mary Sue...

But Im just trying to put together the In Universe reasoning. Because yeah she got beat by Kylo in TROS, so that would suggest its just down to her being a Palpatine...

But how does that explain the stuff she did with no training? Are we sure different Jedi spirits were not helping her from TFA since she touched Lukes Saber? After all she did hear Yoda and Obi-Wans voices at that moment.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 12:17 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

No reason to believe so. Like I said, if there is an explanation it's the Dyad nonsense.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 12:19 PM
Dark-Kenshin
Blocked

The force is female. That IS the in-universe explanation as far as Kennedy is concerned.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 01:47 PM
Click here to Send Dark-Kenshin a Private Message Find more posts by Dark-Kenshin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ares834
Not that strong? She has a single year of training but that's enough to allow he to accidentally blow up a large ship with Force Lightning. She randomly learns Force Powers for no reason like the mind trick in Ep 7. Or how about how she rediscovered some super force healing skill that Anakin the god damned Chosen One was looking for and unable to discover! In Ep 8 she was able to effortlessly moves hundreds of boulders with a single day of training. By comparison, Luke was barely able to summon his saber in ESB after he trained for nearly three years! And then at the end of RoS she was able to go Avatar state and kill Super Sidious. She is hilariously over powered.
Doubt she can replicate that lighting feat so easily. When a force user gets pissed off sometimes he becomes more powerful for a short amount of time (in Dark Disciple, we have also seen an angered Quinlan vos disarming Dooku, while just a few minutes earlier Ventress and him couldn't defeat dooku 2v1), Kylo even specifically said he was trying to anger her. I don't remember that boulder feat from ep 8 (I'm actually trying to forget that ep 8 happened). About your Luke comparison, well I'm pretty sure that's a bad feat from Luke. I remember there is this canon comic about anakin set more or less 1 year after TPM, so when Anakin is a padawan and goes on a mission to a snowy planet with Obi wan. Even his feats in that comic are far better than Luke struggling to lift his lightsaber after 3 years. Don't know, maybe just like in real life there are people who grow faster (especially in sports) and other who get there later. Even though the easy answer is that nowadays they CGI everything, while back then they had to find other methods to do this kind of stuff. And the Avatar state is not something she can enter at will either, just like Kanan couldn't do it at will but he happened to become uber powerful when maul was about to kill him. Well now that I think of it, Anakin was pretty lucky that during Operation Knightfall no Jedi in the temple happened to go avatar state and kick his ass.

(Edit: also, contrary to kanan, at least Rey died after using this power, or did she die to palpy's lightnings?)

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 02:43 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Kanan just tripped Maul over a statue. Maul underestimated his other senses after he was blinded.

And as soon as he threw Maul, he himself collapsed.

Might have been a oneness moment, but a very temporary one, and in terms of power boosts, nothing that major tbh.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 03:40 PM
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

To be fair the Avatar state kills her in a matter of seconds.

The North Remembers

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 04:21 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Lord Stark
To be fair the Avatar state kills her in a matter of seconds.

I thought it was the effort of deflecting Palpatines power that killed her.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 04:24 PM
Psychotron

Keep in mind that Rey was drained of her power/life force by Palpatine before. That's probably why she collapsed.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 08:29 PM
Click here to Send Psychotron a Private Message Find more posts by Psychotron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Originally posted by Darth Thor
I thought it was the effort of deflecting Palpatines power that killed her.

Nah I think its the Jedi tbh. Palpatine's power never had to be absorbed by her ala tutaminis. It was the power required to deflect it that killed her imo. We probs won't know for sure until the novel/screenplay though

The North Remembers

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 11:22 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Why is this so hard to understand? She died because she used too much force power. This happens multiple times in these films. It happens to Luke, Leia, and Kylo as well.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2019 11:49 PM
Zenwolf

Why is this so hard to understand? She died because she used too much force power. This happens multiple times in these films. It happens to Luke, Leia, and Kylo as well.

Not exactly sure if I like that tbh....I men I realize that it happened to Dorsk 81, but that was really like something of a special case. I can't recall anyone else just dying because they used too much power....it's something like out of DBZ or Naruto, using too much Ki or chakra= dead person...

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2019 02:27 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slowpoke

She was born with extreme power. Just like Vaylin.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2019 02:34 AM
Click here to Send Slowpoke a Private Message Find more posts by Slowpoke Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

It was confirmed that Luke died in TLJ because he poured all of his living force into the cosmic force when he projected himself to Kylo.

I assume that expending their living force is also what killed Kylo and Leia... Not sure about Rey, though, but I'm guessing it's a similar angle.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 22nd, 2019 at 01:20 PM

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2019 11:26 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

So Qui-Gons exact words to Rey-

Every Jedi who ever lived, lives in you... We stand behind you, Rey... Rise

That sounds to me like more than just a one off amp tbh.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2019 05:03 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Kind of like Luke's "a thousand generations of Jedi live in you" comment.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2019 05:06 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Guess we’ll find out when she eventually gets a novel set after RoS

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2019 06:01 PM