KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Thrawn: Ascendancy Trilogy

Thrawn: Ascendancy Trilogy
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

I hope there will be a full scale all-out war like against the Vong in Legends

Old Post Aug 7th, 2020 06:59 AM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Me too.

I remember thrawn saying that there were numerous threats in the Unknown regions that posed a threat to the Empire. Hopefully we'll see more of that in this trilogy.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2020 11:45 AM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scizard

Commander > Captain is the same for clones as well

Old Post Aug 7th, 2020 12:31 PM
Click here to Send Scizard a Private Message Find more posts by Scizard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Eli Vanto
Me too.

I remember thrawn saying that there were numerous threats in the Unknown regions that posed a threat to the Empire. Hopefully we'll see more of that in this trilogy.
I imagine this trilogy will definitely showcase some of the other threats that Thrawn warned Palpatine of. The Grysks were just one.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Scizard
Commander > Captain is the same for clones as well
Yep. We saw that as recently as TCW S07. Rex was promoted from Captain to Commander, just before the Siege of Mandalore.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Aug 7th, 2020 12:43 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Ah ya, fair point. Completely forgot that Anakin promoted Rex in Season 7.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2020 02:06 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Just got done binging this novel. I'll definitely have to give it another read through, but my first impression is that it's probably just as good as(if not better than) the first Thrawn novel. Easily one of the best things we've gotten in new canon.

It is completely self-contained. There's no Jedi, no Republic, and no Sith in this story(which was a nice change of pace.) It focuses almost entirely on the Chiss families/hierarchy at a very deep level(almost similar to GoT in that respect), Thrawn and Ar'alani's rise within it's ranks, and some of the threats the Chiss have to face in the Unknown Regions -- and on that note, it massively world-builds the Unknown Regions as well. The story is super-dense and packed with a TON of new info, but it's still easy enough to read.

That said, this novel interweaves with the events of Alliances(when Thrawn first met Anakin), so it is set during TCW.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2020 08:54 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

F*ck that's great to hear. big grin

Plan on reading it next week, but I have a few questions-

I know it's probably wishful thinking, but is there any mention of the Vong? If not, who are the villains?

Does the Chiss empire as a whole get expanded on, or just the Chiss homeworld?

And since you said this set during TCW I take it Thrawn gets a promotion? stick out tongue

Old Post Sep 1st, 2020 11:49 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

No Vong, thank god. Main antagonists are a species called the Nikarduns, who are led by a character called Yiv("The Benevolent") -- he's essentially puppeteering the Nikarduns, and seeks to overthrow the Chiss Ascendancy.

The Chiss Empire as a whole(along with its inner hierarchy) gets expanded on massively.

Yes, Thrawn starts off as a Captain, then gets promoted to Commander later on. The events of Alliances(where Thrawn first meets Anakin during TCW) take place about midway through this novel. Zahn wove it together seamlessly.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2020 01:16 AM
Sheev
The All-Sith

Someone on reddit said that Csilla (how the hell do you pronounce that anyway? "Sisila"?) is wiped out in this novel. Is that true?

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2020 02:16 PM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

No. Don't trust everything you read on reddit.

And it's pronounced "Chee-La".

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2020 02:28 PM
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Sorry just one more question.

Saw that there was a reference to Outbound Flight in this. Is that legit?

Are there any Legends references?

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2020 07:41 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

The Chiss cruiser "Whirlwind" and Vagaari pirates were briefly mentioned. Those are the only nods to Outbound Flight that I saw.

Also worth mentioning that at some point in the ancient past, the Chiss fought alongside the Republic in the "Sith Wars", but no further information was given about that.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2020 08:08 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

The second novel in the Ascendancy Trilogy (titled "Greater Good") arrives April 27th:

(please log in to view the image)

An excerpt from the novel can be read here.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2021 01:04 PM
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

oh cool, i'm looking forward to this

Old Post Mar 6th, 2021 09:50 AM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

And to end Zahn's canon Thrawn origin trilogy will be the novel "Lesser Evil", which will be released November 16th:

(please log in to view the image)
quote:
For thousands of years The Chiss Ascendancy has been an island of calm, a center of power, and a beacon of integrity. Led by the Nine Ruling Families, their leadership stands as a bulwark of stability against the Chaos of the Unknown Regions.

But that stability has been eroded by a cunning foe that winnows away trust and loyalty in equal measure. Bonds of fidelity have given way to lines of division among the families. Despite the efforts of the Expansionary Defense Fleet, the Ascendancy slips closer and closer toward civil war.

The Chiss are no strangers to war. Their mythic status in the Chaos was earned through conflict and terrible deeds, some long buried. Until now. To ensure the Ascendancy’s future, Thrawn will delve deep into its past, uncovering the dark secrets surrounding the ascension of the First Ruling Family. But the truth of a family’s legacy is only as strong as the legend that supports it. Even if that legend turns out to be a lie.

To secure the salvation of the Ascendancy, is Thrawn willing to sacrifice everything? Including the only home he has ever known?

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2021 09:44 PM
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Surprised we got a cover reveal and synopsis for the final novel already. Disney must be bored. stick out tongue

Old Post Apr 6th, 2021 09:56 AM