KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Darth Maul vs Obi Wan Kenobi (see details)

Darth Maul vs Obi Wan Kenobi (see details)
Started by: ozz81

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bentley
Seitei

I agree that it makes much more sense to think of Maul as a sith that could be groomed to be as strong as Sheev himself

What's weird about Maul is that he never tried to get a disciple himself. Dooku and Vader both boasted the ambition of overthrowing Palpatine which is also the logical Sith thing to do

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jan 16th, 2020 12:48 PM
Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bentley
What's weird about Maul is that he never tried to get a disciple himself.

Savage Oppress

Old Post Jan 16th, 2020 12:53 PM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ And he tried with Ezra (canon). But he meant while his was Palpatines apprentice. Im guessing he knew he still had a lot more to learn from Palps first. Plus I guess he was just young and loyal.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2020 12:57 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Yep, I meant it as during his tenure as the official apprentice.

It's weird because either explanation for his lack of betrayal could be interpreted as a self-doubt or limitation in Maul's mentality at that point. Even if he was in peak physical form I think he was too laser focused in his technical prowess to be the most effective Sith he could be at that point

Old Post Jan 16th, 2020 01:02 PM
Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
McP

Basing on Legends:

They were about equals. While I do believe, that their lightsabers skill were on par, Maul had a slight edge in the Force. But it wouldn't be much of a factor in a single combat on neutral ground.
Prime Kenobi would be ROTS, Maul TCW I would say. SoD is actually TCW Maul who might be after a months in Dooku/Sidious' prison. He should be weaker, but maybe his anger was greater and that finally made him a bit stronger, not the difference that would matter anyway.

And yes, they fought during "Jedi prime" and after Clone Wars Obi-Wan was rusty old man, while Vader was just a half-machine half-man. Per Lucas. And disney suck balls.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2020 02:10 PM
Click here to Send McP a Private Message Find more posts by McP Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Originally posted by Psychotron
Did Sidious really think Maul could ever be his successor? Seems to me like Maul was just a blunt instrument (no pun intended) and an enforcer he could use against his enemies until her found a good enough apprentice.

That's a somewhat outdated take. His presentation has been different ever since TCW. With regards to how much Sidious valued him as an apprentice candidate, the fact that he was willing to betray Talzin, who at the time was poised to become his shadow hand, to get his hands on Maul is telling.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2020 03:54 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by Bentley
Yep, I meant it as during his tenure as the official apprentice.

Palps brainwashed him, lol.

He had little thoughts of his own, unlike Dooku or Vader.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2020 04:27 PM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Psychotron

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Of course he would always replace Maul if a better apprentice came along. Thats how the Rule of Two works. Heck Palpatine was ready to replace Vader as soon as Luke came along.

But (in canon at least), Sidious betrayed Mother Talzin just to get hold of Darth Maul due to his potential. So he was definitely intended to be trained as a Sith.

The EU had him as more of an assassin, blunt instrument. But that never really made much sense given the amount of time Palps must have personally put into training him.

Anyhow if TCW did not even convince people that Maul was more than just a blunt instrument, then him being brought back really was pointless.

Eh, I don't know. If Maul's potential is so high why was he so utterly outclassed by Obi-Wan? Doesn't seem right.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2020 08:56 PM
Click here to Send Psychotron a Private Message Find more posts by Psychotron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Eh, I don't know. If Maul's potential is so high why was he so utterly outclassed by Obi-Wan? Doesn't seem right.

Cut in half, his training under Palpatine cut short and basically in a straight jacket for 10+years.

Plus Obi-Wan might not be the most powerful but he is like the perfect Jedi. So much so he was a near equal to Vader.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2020 09:58 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Bad luck. Also, because Obi-Wan is a beast. He also butchered Vader, who potentially could've been a great deal better than Sidious.

Last edited by NewGuy01 on Jan 16th, 2020 at 10:02 PM

Old Post Jan 16th, 2020 09:59 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Psychotron

Fair points. I still don't think Maul's potential was equal to or greater than Palpatine's, however.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2020 10:50 PM
Click here to Send Psychotron a Private Message Find more posts by Psychotron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ Well apparently not given that if you have Palpatine blood you will just wake up one day and find you can shoot out starship destroying lightning without even having any training in the ability erm

Old Post Jan 17th, 2020 12:00 AM
Psychotron

^ Well apparently not given that if you have Palpatine blood you will just wake up one day and find you can shoot out starship destroying lightning without even having any training in the ability erm

Only if you're a girl, apparently.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2020 08:44 AM
Bentley
Seitei

If only Palpatine had been a Jedi instead of a sh_tty Sith he would've been all the more impressive

Old Post Jan 17th, 2020 12:22 PM
Psychotron

He would have been Yoda.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2020 03:52 PM
xPRIMEx

Kenobi

Old Post Jan 18th, 2020 12:11 AM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I think the assumption might be that Peak Maul is TPM Maul.

Although this is the EU forum (default), and its confirmed in the EU that TCW Maul > TPM Maul. But then we also have to consider that Rebels isnt part of EU canon, so if we go by those rules then Kenobi never killed Maul.

Honestly, I was mostly joking with my phrasing.

In general though, I feel like the more time passed, the gap between them just got bigger and bigger. Even if we take TCW Maul as being his peak, he's still lagging behind Kenobi's peak by quite a bit, imo,

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jan 18th, 2020 03:31 AM
Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

The mutilation and suffering only make Dark Siders stronger. It fuels their powers.

TCW Maul > TPM Maul

Vader > Ani

Old Post Jan 18th, 2020 07:10 AM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by -Pr-
Honestly, I was mostly joking with my phrasing.

In general though, I feel like the more time passed, the gap between them just got bigger and bigger. Even if we take TCW Maul as being his peak, he's still lagging behind Kenobi's peak by quite a bit, imo,

I actually thought you made a good point about Maul being a sycophant for 10+years whilst Kenobi was getting better and better, given they are actually around the same age.

That said, depends when you think their respective peaks are, but certainly late in the Clone Wars, I see no evidence for there being some kind of huge gap between them. And in a direct fight in that period, Maul would likely have the psychological advantage of having murdered Satine in front of Obi.

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
The mutilation and suffering only make Dark Siders stronger. It fuels their powers.

TCW Maul > TPM Maul

Vader > Ani

Not quite that simple.

Especially for Maul who was out of action for many years.

Old Post Jan 18th, 2020 09:07 AM
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

Around late Clone Wars/ROTS he might not actually. If you keep up with their conflict, Kenobi would psychologically be at a disadvantage.

Even if so, Maul would also psychologically be at a disadvantage because it's been said that he's especially blinded by vengeance to Kenobi.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2020 12:52 PM
Click here to Send YousufKhan1212 a Private Message Find more posts by YousufKhan1212 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote