KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Darth Maul vs Obi Wan Kenobi (see details)

Darth Maul vs Obi Wan Kenobi (see details)
Started by: ozz81

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Thor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by YousufKhan1212
Even if so, Maul would also psychologically be at a disadvantage because it's been said that he's especially blinded by vengeance to Kenobi.

Thats just in general yeah.

But Maul did beat him in their first TCW fight by easily dun moching him over Qui-Gons death which was like 10 years earlier.

And Master Tipler notes Kenobis turmoil in facing Maul in SOD, where he admits their last encounter did not go well (the last encounter was in The Lawless where he murdered Satine in front of him).

But aside from that I dont see any version of Maul taking Rebels Kenobi tbh. Rebels Kenobis mental clarity was just on a whole other level.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2020 01:18 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Darth Thor
But aside from that I dont see any version of Maul taking Rebels Kenobi tbh. Rebels Kenobis mental clarity was just on a whole other level.
Rebels Kenobi really was on a completely different level.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jan 20th, 2020 02:09 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Galan007
Rebels Kenobi really was on a completely different level.

Yeah theres just no getting around that. I guess its consistent as well with current canon given what a beast Vader is, and Old Ben did fight him more as a peer than an underdog.

And Master Tipler notes Kenobis turmoil in facing Maul in SOD,

Master Tiplee*

Old Post Jan 20th, 2020 03:20 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Vader has gotten so much wank in canon that Kenobi contending with him really does scale him up quite a bit.

And what's more, I don't know if Kenobi was really even giving it his all there(in canon, at least.) /shrug

Old Post Jan 20th, 2020 03:27 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ozz81

Vader has gotten so much wank in canon that Kenobi contending with him really does scale him up quite a bit.

And what's more, I don't know if Kenobi was really even giving it his all there(in canon, at least.) /shrug

Sweet makes it clearer, sorry just thought i will ask as i wasnt to sure in the star wars cannon cartoons how does Obi Wan actually defeat Maul , maul tries to do the same attack he did to obi on qui gon jin but then all i see is obi slashing his light saber handle in half then maul falls down and dies slowly etc : i didnt quite get that or did obi wans saber slash Maul somehow ?

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 01:30 AM
Click here to Send ozz81 a Private Message Find more posts by ozz81 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
The mutilation and suffering only make Dark Siders stronger. It fuels their powers.

TCW Maul > TPM Maul

Vader > Ani

I'm not disputing that. I just don't think that Maul's hatred, as much as it fueled him, is a match for how much more powerful Kenobi became.

I actually thought you made a good point about Maul being a sycophant for 10+years whilst Kenobi was getting better and better, given they are actually around the same age.

That said, depends when you think their respective peaks are, but certainly late in the Clone Wars, I see no evidence for there being some kind of huge gap between them. And in a direct fight in that period, Maul would likely have the psychological advantage of having murdered Satine in front of Obi.

Not quite that simple.

Especially for Maul who was out of action for many years.

Any psychological advantage Maul had kinda vanished after that first encounter, I think. I mean, look at what Kenobi did to Savage and Maul together.

I'm not saying the gulf between them was massive in the CW era, but I still think there was a legitimate barrier between them. Like, if Kenobi was a 9, Maul would be at best an 8.

I'd take Rebels Kenobi over any version of Maul, but I know how you feel about that fight so I won't rub it in too hard stick out tongue

Originally posted by ozz81
Sweet makes it clearer, sorry just thought i will ask as i wasnt to sure in the star wars cannon cartoons how does Obi Wan actually defeat Maul , maul tries to do the same attack he did to obi on qui gon jin but then all i see is obi slashing his light saber handle in half then maul falls down and dies slowly etc : i didnt quite get that or did obi wans saber slash Maul somehow ?

Kenobi slashed straight down through the lightsaber and through Maul's torso. It was meant to look like a samurai killing someone in one deft stroke. That and they probably didn't want to show a huge gaping wound on what was the kiddiest kids show SW has produced.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 01:50 AM
Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by ozz81
Kenobi slashed Maul's chest open with that final strike. You can catch a glimpse of the wound while Kenobi is cradling him afterward.

Originally posted by -Pr-
I'd take Rebels Kenobi over any version of Maul
thumb up

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 01:55 AM
Darth Thor

Any psychological advantage Maul had kinda vanished after that first encounter, I think. I mean, look at what Kenobi did to Savage and Maul together.

He murdered Satine after the Kenobi vs Maul and Savage fight. And Kenobis turmoil over that event is specifically mentioned in Son of Dathomir.

I'm not saying the gulf between them was massive in the CW era, but I still think there was a legitimate barrier between them. Like, if Kenobi was a 9, Maul would be at best an 8.

Think thats overstating the gap in that era. Kenobi arguably performed better against Maul and Opress and Dooku did against Ventress and Opress. So that was clearly a peak performance. And its quite normal in Star Wars to take on 2 opponents, but later to struggle with just one of them. Just look at Ventress vs Anakin and Obi-Wan. Or Dooku vs the same two.

But I agree if anyone had the edge it was Obi. I just think after murdering Satine that might give Maul the psychological advantage, hence equalling the odds for a period.

I'd take Rebels Kenobi over any version of Maul, but I know how you feel about that fight so I won't rub it in too hard stick out tongue

Lol dont worry. I agree Rebels Kenobi was beyond him, and theres just no point denying that.

I just really hope Maul doesnt lose to Ahsoka sad Honestly I will be relieved with even a stalemate.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 09:12 AM
NewGuy01
perpetual

Don't we already know how this fight will go? It was covered in the Ahsoka novel, wasn't it? IIRC [SPOILER - highlight to read]: she lures him into a ray shield trap, or something to that effect.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2020 12:16 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Yep. thumb up

quote:
Maul bore down on her, cruel laughter scraping out of his throat, and still she waited. Then, just before she was in his reach, she sprang the trap.

Maul lunged forward and Ahsoka took a quick step back, drawing him past the point of no return. He swung down, directly at her head, and she responded with all her strength. Her weapons locked with his, holding him exactly where she wanted him to be.

"Now!" she commanded her unseen allies. The response was fast, too fast for Maul's distracted defense. Ahsoka threw herself clear just in time. The ray shield came to life, trapping her prey with his lightsaber still raised against her.

Granted, Filoni could always retcon that bit in TCW. /shrug

Old Post Jan 24th, 2020 12:29 AM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Like, if Kenobi was a 9, Maul would be at best an 8.

(please log in to view the image)

Lol, just messing with you. Good post overall thumb up

Quan and Darth Thor are the only posters on this dark corner of the Internet who still desperately try to ride Maul's limp dick.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2020 01:30 AM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

What dick?

Old Post Jan 24th, 2020 02:16 AM
Darth Thor

thumb up

Well done Stilt. I knew you were secretly a Maul fan!

Last edited by Darth Thor on Jan 24th, 2020 at 10:33 AM

Old Post Jan 24th, 2020 10:25 AM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by NewGuy01
Don't we already know how this fight will go? It was covered in the Ahsoka novel, wasn't it? IIRC [SPOILER - highlight to read]: she lures him into a ray shield trap, or something to that effect.

It might still end like that. But the fight itself is obviously going to be much more competitive than the way it was portrayed in the Ahsoka novel.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2020 10:49 AM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

What dick?

laughing out loud

thumb up

Well done Stilt. I knew you were secretly a Maul fan!

And I always knew you were Quan smile

Last edited by StiltmanFTW on Jan 24th, 2020 at 06:22 PM

Old Post Jan 24th, 2020 06:18 PM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

And I always knew you were Quan smile

We’re all Quan!

Old Post Jan 24th, 2020 09:12 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

That we are...

Old Post Jan 24th, 2020 09:56 PM
NewGuy01
perpetual

It might still end like that. But the fight itself is obviously going to be much more competitive than the way it was portrayed in the Ahsoka novel.

Why is that an issue? There's no reason for Ahsoka at the end of the Clone Wars to be weaker than she was during Rebels.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2020 11:43 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by NewGuy01
Why is that an issue? There's no reason for Ahsoka at the end of the Clone Wars to be weaker than she was during Rebels.

Oh ill certainly argue to death that this is Prime Ahsoka thumb up

Old Post Jan 25th, 2020 01:03 AM
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

Obi-Wan Kenobi wins, since the OP says that it's prime versions of them both. A couple of sources infer that Obi-Wan reached his prime on Mustafar, and it's arguable that Obi-Wan as of the end of RotS is better than Dooku and Maul, so I'd wager that he beats Maul.

That said, depends when you think their respective peaks are, but certainly late in the Clone Wars, I see no evidence for there being some kind of huge gap between them. And in a direct fight in that period, Maul would likely have the psychological advantage of having murdered Satine in front of Obi.

This sounds like conjecture tbh because Obi-Wan likely would've accepted Satine's death, given that he's holistically portrayed as the quintessential Jedi. In fact, I think there's a source saying Obi-Wan would have the psychological advantage over Maul. there's an actual source alluding to that.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2020 08:25 PM
Click here to Send YousufKhan1212 a Private Message Find more posts by YousufKhan1212 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote