KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Top 10 lightsaber duelists in canon?

Top 10 lightsaber duelists in canon?
Started by: Eli Vanto

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Top 10 lightsaber duelists in canon?

Just looking for a reputable list for the top 10 CANON duelists.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2020 02:16 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Is it based on skill or overall power, because someone like Oppress is surely less refined than a lot of Jedi, but he will stomp them due to force augmentation:

-Yoda (disarmed Sid)
-RotS Sidious (knows all saber forms
-Mace (Vaapad)
-Luke (?, still an unknown but he should be quite strong, might go up a step if he gets feats)—
-Kenobi (best soresu user, his force augmentation isn’t on par with the guys up above)
-Anakin/Vader (has a lot of strength, but Kenobi clearly beat him in RotS in pure sabers)
-Dooku (best Makashi user)
-Maul (best dual blade user)
-Vos (has an impredictable style apparently)
-Fisto (?? Disarmed grevious after all)

Old Post Jan 16th, 2020 06:41 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

I'm talking about their skill as a swordsmen.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2020 07:17 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Honestly, most of the Jedi masters are very good, and many of them are criminally underappreciated. Still, each of the Sith are extraordinary, and among the Jedi, Yoda, Mace, and Obi-Wan are also known to be particularly great swordsmen. In legends, if only bladework is being considered, then Anakin/Vader is pretty safely the best of the lot. Given what some of the canon materials say about Vader, that may well still be the case in canon.

If there must be ten, Luke, Ahsoka, and Quinlan are probably the most qualified feat-wise for the remaining three spots. It's not really clear though, at least to me, if their swordsmanship is actually more competent than the other Jedi masters'; Like TW said, there's more to being an effective Jedi fighter than just the martial arts skills. Someone like Cin Drallig might actually be more appropriate for this particular list.

Last edited by NewGuy01 on Jan 16th, 2020 at 09:58 PM

Old Post Jan 16th, 2020 09:54 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

The order is difficult but would surely be these 10:

Yoda, Sidious, Luke, Mace, Vader, Dooku, Kenobi, Vos, Maul, Ahsoka.

Issues:

Luke is particularly hard one to place. But hes surely on the list. Do Anakin and Vader get 2 positions or 1?

Vos, Maul and Ahsoka will be the bottom 3 of this elite list, but impossible to know how they rank amongst themselves.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2020 10:10 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Luke defeated arguably the best duelist of the series in single combat so he should be top 3 at least

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jan 16th, 2020 10:29 PM
Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Psychotron

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bentley
Luke defeated arguably the best duelist of the series in single combat so he should be top 3 at least

Who? You don't mean Vader, right? Because Anakin > Vader in pure lightsaber dueling.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2020 10:48 PM
Click here to Send Psychotron a Private Message Find more posts by Psychotron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Total Warrior
-Fisto (?? Disarmed grevious after all)
Fisto has some great accolades.

Mace stated that his skills with a lightsaber were "unrivaled", and Luke stated that he was "one of the finest duelists to ever grace the Jedi Order."

The problem is that Fisto lacks heavily in quantifiable feats, while most of the others mentioned do not.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jan 16th, 2020 11:02 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Psychotron
Who? You don't mean Vader, right? Because Anakin > Vader in pure lightsaber dueling.

Vader still held his own in a pure Saber combat vs Old Man Kenobi. There is a chance he had the time to seal the gap between his uncomfortable body and his saber skills by the time he fought Luke

Old Post Jan 17th, 2020 08:21 AM
Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

(please log in to view the image)

When I left you, I was but the learner. Now I am the master.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2020 08:37 AM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

Yep Vader>Anakin in canon

Last edited by xPRIMEx on Jan 17th, 2020 at 08:44 AM

Old Post Jan 17th, 2020 08:38 AM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Psychotron

Originally posted by xPRIMEx
Yep Vader>Anakin in canon

Overall, yeah. Not in pure dueling. Vader hasn't done anything as impressive as wrecking Dooku.

Originally posted by Bentley
Vader still held his own in a pure Saber combat vs Old Man Kenobi. There is a chance he had the time to seal the gap between his uncomfortable body and his saber skills by the time he fought Luke

It's funny how everyone said Old Ben was rusty and out of practice in ANH, but after beating Maul he has been elevated to the top tier. I still think ROTS Anakin would beat Ben, however.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2020 08:42 AM
Click here to Send Psychotron a Private Message Find more posts by Psychotron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Psychotron

It's funny how everyone said Old Ben was rusty and out of practice in ANH, but after beating Maul he has been elevated to the top tier. I still think ROTS Anakin would beat Ben, however.

ROTS Anakin is in the top 2 or 3 elites. So yeah he would.

That said, Vader looked like he was also going to win, albeit slowly.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2020 10:35 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Arguably there is no feat in canon higher than beating Dooku with sabers except maybe beating the man who beat Dooku. Luke and Kenobi defeated Vader so they are locked in as top tiers.

I guess Sheev did make a short work of (mostly lip-serviced) Fisto in pure sabers?

Old Post Jan 17th, 2020 12:27 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Ani's victory over Dooku was horribly written, Lucas at his worst.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2020 12:51 PM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Yoda effectively bested Palpatine in sabers(confirmed in the RotS script), so he's still at the top.

But yeah, RotJ Luke is right up there as well, as he was =/> Vader in sabers.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jan 17th, 2020 01:19 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Ani's victory over Dooku was horribly written, Lucas at his worst.

What are you talking about? That was a great scene.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2020 02:31 PM
Barron-Ghidorah
Probably in bed

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
(please log in to view the image)

When I left you, I was but the learner. Now I am the master.

“I am accustomed to killing children.”

I love this scene.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2020 07:25 PM
Click here to Send Barron-Ghidorah a Private Message Find more posts by Barron-Ghidorah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Yoda, Windu, and Dooku should be at the top while Sheev is good I think his speed helps him in saber combat but I could be mistaken but he's still in the top category for sure.

I just finished Dooku: Jedi Lost and Dooku has a lot of lip service accolades such as consistently being the top of the saber class since he started training and being called the best student the Jedi lightsaber trainer has ever had(can't remember the Jedi's name). Yoda also took Dooku as a padawan to the surprise of the Jedi Council which apparently it's been quite some time since Grand Master Yoda took a padawan.

As far as feats from the book go Dooku while drinking a glass of wine was fighting Ventress and according to Ventress Dooku didn't even spill his wine.

And a very young Dooku 13 I believe and before he was a Padawan still training in groups was able to apparently make a Jedi Master work hard to defend herself from Dooku's attack. Her voice sounded as she was struggling from Dooku's onslaught.

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2020 08:09 PM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Originally posted by juggernaut74
Yoda, Windu, and Dooku should be at the top while Sheev is good I think his speed helps him in saber combat but I could be mistaken but he's still in the top category for sure.

Yeah, you are mistaken. He's arguably the most skilled of those four.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2020 08:27 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote