KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Useless Characters In Films

Useless Characters In Films
Started by: SquallX

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Rose Tico

Old Post Jan 24th, 2020 11:37 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

quote: (post)
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
The Summers brothers in the Fox X-Men movies were both arguably even less than useless. Scott's most notable feat is busting the dam in X2, nearly killing his allies. Alex's most notable feat is busting the X-Mansion in Apocalypse, nearly killing his allies.

For Alex: and killing himself in the process. I really don't know what got into Singer, Kinsberg, etc. with the Summers brothers, they could've been great characters, but they took a dump on them every. single. movie. Except maybe First Class.

Originally posted by riv6672
That’s a good one! big grin

Thanks Riv! Great character actor, love that movie, but 'tis the truth about Mr. Knox.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2020 05:51 PM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

And yet in Dark Phoenix, Scott actually IS useful. A bit late, but still.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jan 27th, 2020 06:06 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

Originally posted by -Pr-

Was he though?

wink

Old Post Jan 27th, 2020 07:38 PM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Finn from sequel trilogy...

horribly written.. boyega really phoned it all in for the trilogy.. he acted like a stalker.. he was just there to scream "REYYYYYYY"... "REYYYYYYYY..."

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jan 27th, 2020 07:50 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by John Murdoch
Thanks Riv! Great character actor, love that movie, but 'tis the truth about Mr. Knox.

It -was- pretty cool seeing his cameo at the start of CW’s Crisis, though!

Old Post Jan 28th, 2020 09:58 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by John Murdoch
For Alex: and killing himself in the process. I really don't know what got into Singer, Kinsberg, etc. with the Summers brothers, they could've been great characters, but they took a dump on them every. single. movie. Except maybe First Class.

Even in First Class, Alex was portrayed as kind of an a-hole who could barely control his powers (yet proceeded to still make fun of others). The only decent portrayal he had was in DoFP, because he was only in it for 5 minutes. And then they kind of still ruin it to a degree by changing his powers from heat effect to force effect.

Not all that much IMO. Beyond fulfilling a combat role relatively competently for a change (but you could have stuck any decently powerful generic mutant in there to do similar for the action scenes, tbh), when he tried to actually stop Jean from heading off, she just casually put him to sleep. And in terms of the emotional aspect, Mystique's death and how everyone reacts to it plays a much bigger role in the narrative than Scott does. Unless I am forgetting something specific he did in that regard. Admittedly, I found that movie boring as shit, so have forgotten a lot of it.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2020 03:53 PM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by SquallX
Was he though?

wink

He got a fairly decent body count on the train. That's about it, but still.

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Even in First Class, Alex was portrayed as kind of an a-hole who could barely control his powers (yet proceeded to still make fun of others). The only decent portrayal he had was in DoFP, because he was only in it for 5 minutes. And then they kind of still ruin it to a degree by changing his powers from heat effect to force effect.

Not all that much IMO. Beyond fulfilling a combat role relatively competently for a change (but you could have stuck any decently powerful generic mutant in there to do similar for the action scenes, tbh), when he tried to actually stop Jean from heading off, she just casually put him to sleep. And in terms of the emotional aspect, Mystique's death and how everyone reacts to it plays a much bigger role in the narrative than Scott does. Unless I am forgetting something specific he did in that regard. Admittedly, I found that movie boring as shit, so have forgotten a lot of it.

Yeah, but they didn't put any other mutant in there. They put him. So it counts, as crappy as the FX looked. stick out tongue

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jan 28th, 2020 04:12 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

Originally posted by riv6672
It -was- pretty cool seeing his cameo at the start of CW’s Crisis, though!

I haven't watched much of anything from the DC CW stuff since Flash season 1 and most of Black Lightning season 1, but I've been looking up Crisis on Infinite Earths clips on YouTube, but missed his cameo. My goodness, the Danny Elfman theme with him in that scene...simply magnificent. I think between it and Endgame, my nerd-dome is now complete. Thank you sir!

Old Post Jan 28th, 2020 08:08 PM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Yeah, but they didn't put any other mutant in there. They put him. So it counts, as crappy as the FX looked. stick out tongue

It shows you how badly Singer (and co.) treated the brothers though. That one of them being portrayed reasonably competently at using their powers is pretty much the best that we got.

Last edited by TheVaultDweller on Jan 29th, 2020 at 04:18 AM

Old Post Jan 29th, 2020 04:15 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote