KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Is Palpatine/Snoke's feat more impressive than Luke's?

Is Palpatine/Snoke's feat more impressive than Luke's?
Started by: Big Gerald

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Thor

Yeah and for all Luke knew, Kylo might have had Rey prisoner or some shit. Was stupid as hell to use Anakins.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 05:33 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
...Or maybe Luke could have survived that blaster fire in person, which is why Kylo wasn't overly surprised to see him alive afterward. shifty

I wish...

Kylo being retarded seems far more likely.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 06:40 PM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Psychotron

^ I've mentioned this before, but it was stated in the RoS VD that Luke created the projection by pouring his own living force into the cosmic force in order to bridge the distance(literally hundreds of light years) -- which is something we have never seen before in the mythos.

The result was more than just a simple 'illusion', imo, as the projection clearly had solid elements to it...

-Luke gripped Leia's hands and kissed her forehead. He also manifested Han's dice, which were 'solid' and could be held by others.
-3PO's optic sensors registered Luke actually being there.
-His robes/hair were flapping in the wind on Crait.
-Kylo and Leia(who can very accurately sense presences in the force and had very strong connections to Luke) didn't realize that the projection wasn't actually Luke at first.

I believe it was literally Luke's essence/life force standing in front of them, which is why it was indistinguishable from the real deal. /shrug

Considering Sidious can Force choke Dooku from a galaxy away in Disney canon I'm not exactly impressed by Luke killing himself to save 10 people in a cave via illusion. Also, in ROS we see that his X-wing was perfectly operational and that he could easily raise it from the water even as a ghost, so it makes Luke killing himself even more retarded.

Last edited by Psychotron on Jan 23rd, 2020 at 07:13 PM

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 07:03 PM
Click here to Send Psychotron a Private Message Find more posts by Psychotron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I don't think Luke wanted to force choke/kill Kylo, lol... And if he did, it would have completely f*cked the plot in RoS. wink

As for the X-Wing, two things:
a.) Rian clearly intended it to be fully out of commission in TLJ. JJ was again just playing damage control by having Luke raise it from the depths for Rey.
b.) Even if Luke would have used it in TLJ after his chat with Yoda, he would not have been able to get to Crait in time to help... Even Rey(who left in the Falcon well before Luke would have) barely got there in time.

Either way, my only point is that Luke's projection technique wasn't just your run of the mill illusion or whathaveyou. Even though the effort killed him, it was actually a very impressive/unique force ability(now that it has been fleshed out more in secondary material, that is) -- a literal manifestation of Luke's very life essence, projected hundreds of light years via the cosmic force.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Jan 23rd, 2020 at 08:27 PM

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 08:20 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Psychotron

I don't think Luke wanted to force choke/kill Kylo, lol... And if he did, it would have completely f*cked the plot in RoS. wink

As for the X-Wing, two things:
a.) Rian clearly intended it to be fully out of commission in TLJ. JJ was again just playing damage control by having Luke raise it from the depths for Rey.
b.) Even if Luke would have used it in TLJ after his chat with Yoda, he would not have been able to get to Crait in time to help... Even Rey(who left in the Falcon well before Luke would have) barely got there in time.

Either way, my only point is that Luke's projection technique wasn't just your run of the mill illusion or whathaveyou. Even though the effort killed him, it was actually a very impressive/unique force ability(now that it has been fleshed out more in secondary material, that is) -- a literal manifestation of Luke's very life essence, projected hundreds of light years via the cosmic force.

More than the plot already was.

Yeah, I know what Rian wanted. This out-dicking each other contest with JJ was stupid is my point.

I don't consider something that does effectively nothing and kills you to be impressive.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 08:46 PM
Click here to Send Psychotron a Private Message Find more posts by Psychotron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Perspective, I guess.

What impresses me about the ability is *how* it was accomplished.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 08:51 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

Is it stated anywhere that he died from the *strain* of the attack?

It seemed like he was only a little shook afterwards, and then chose to die.
Or maybe the whole "turning his living force into the cosmic force" brought his spirit into becoming one with the force.
It just didn't look like it was the strain of it that got to him.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2020 08:27 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Zentrex
Is it stated anywhere that he died from the *strain* of the attack?

It seemed like he was only a little shook afterwards, and then chose to die.
Or maybe the whole "turning his living force into the cosmic force" brought his spirit into becoming one with the force.
It just didn't look like it was the strain of it that got to him.
"This discipline requires extreme concentration and focus, as Luke essentially pours his living Force presence into the all-encompassing cosmic Force, bridging incredible distances. The transition is so complete that Luke gives his all into the Force, finding serenity in his final mortal moments and becoming one with the great beyond."

-RoS: VD

Old Post Jan 24th, 2020 12:15 PM
Zentrex
Hi!

thanks

Old Post Jan 26th, 2020 10:45 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote