KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » The Rise of Skywalker (novelization)

The Rise of Skywalker (novelization)
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « First ... « 9 10 [11]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zentrex
Hi!

I'm pretty sure that's fanfiction you're citing, friend.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2020 12:03 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Merchant

Are you referring to me? I mean the lightning zapping the fleet...

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Mar 21st, 2020 12:07 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Merchant
How does the book explain Palpatines fleet busting lightning?

"The creature raised his ruined hand; Kylo sensed him drawing on the Force, but before he could react, his surroundings disappeared as if into a fog, and a vision filled their place. Lightning flashed, revealing cracked ground. The barren landscape shook, then shattered. A mountain erupted onto the surface. Dirt and chunks of soil fell away, revealing a metal hull, striped with red. Around it, more mountains broke the surface, resolving in massive Star Destroyers, half again the size of the Destroyers from the days of the Empire. More ships rose--and more and more--until tens of thousands hovered in the atmosphere.The vision was whisked away, replaced by hundreds of thousands of Stormtroopers, shining in crimson armor.With tremendous effort, Kylo thrust the vision aside. Everything he'd seen would be his."

quote:
I think Palpatine having all the Sith might have something to do with Exagol. I wish they expanded more on the planet, I would have liked it if it were the strongest dark side nexus in the universe and Palpatine landing on it was able to access Chaos itself and absorb all previous Sith before him within him. His final goal would have been absorbing Exagol itself and become a God of the Dark Side like the Son. Maybe Exagols backstory is when the Ones of Mortis were trying to create Mortis, their first attempt was Exagol. But, instead of creating a planet where balance is natural, they accidentally made the strongest dark side nexus ever.

That's some nice headcanon. I doubt they're going to explain this any further, or even reference it in any new material, though. It would be wise of them to just pretend it never happened.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2020 12:10 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

Are you referring to me? I mean the lightning zapping the fleet...

Oh, no, I meant to respond to Zamp.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2020 12:11 AM
The_Tempest

Originally posted by Zamp
(emphasis mine)
[Citation Needed]

Your quote specifies only that Plaguies acted in the moment of his murder, not that the target of an essence transfer was Sidious himself.

In Legacy of Evil, Andeddu's Essence transfer converts the entire body into dark side energy "at the speed of thought" and initiates a battle of wills with the target.

Plaguies's technique is described exclusively as biokinesis aimed at midi-chlorians. He narrates this method of death used for a politician in his book. Sidious describes this kind of biological manipulation as Plaguies's only form of defense attempted against the Force choke that ultimately killed the Muun. Moreover, Sidious indicates that he has learned at least some degree of mastery over this technique, and muses on using biokinesis to save his former master. No mention is made of Plagueis using a technique aimed at Sidious (or at anyone else).

Unfortunately, nothing like an essence transfer is described in the Plagueis book. This means that the description from the novel version of TRoS must be a retcon. However, based on the information in LoE & the screenshots you've shared here, Bane's version of the transfer works faster and in more different situations than the one attempted by Sidious.

citations:

Here's the essence transfer from the bane/zannah fight:

Here's the description from Plagueis, where the Muun kills someone from the senate:

Here's of Sidious's murder of his master:

Zamp, what tf are you talking about?

The Bane and Plagueis books have not been canon since 2014 when Disney officially wiped the publishing continuity out. All pre-2014 works, with the exception of the movies and Clone Wars TV show, are considered “Legends” and are not canon.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2020 12:25 AM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

How does the book explain Palpatines fleet busting lightning?
Same as what we see in the film, with some added emphasis on how awesome it looked.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Mar 21st, 2020 02:23 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Galan007
Yoda likely did not have that knowledge while he was alive.... and if he did, he's a dick.

....Yeeeaaahhh...that would be a dick move. Then again, he did see the fall of the Jedi did he not?

Still if he does know this healing thing, I'm sure there would be some other powerful Jedi who could also use it, not just him...if he can that is.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2020 02:27 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

I certainly haven't read all of the new canon... has there been a Disney novel that introduced Bane and the essence transfer? Because when I mentioned the Zannah gestalt idea, you didn't say "Oh, Bane's essence transfer is now non-canon, so we can't possibly discuss it."

Compared to the Legends canon, where Bane can drop the essence transfer at the drop of a hat, Sidious's body switching in Disney seems to be situationally constrained.

Your counterargument, that Plagueis used the essence transfer to try to possess Sidious, fails to demonstrate that the technique was used offensively. Instead, I read the clip you shared as though Plagueis tried to flee to some other (unfinished) clone.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2020 04:14 AM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

I certainly haven't read all of the new canon... has there been a Disney novel that introduced Bane and the essence transfer?

No, Bane's only appearance has been as an illusion in season six of TCW. TROS novelization implies essence transfer originated with Plagueis, the mysterious "secret" of eternal life.

quote:
Because when I mentioned the Zannah gestalt idea, you didn't say "Oh, Bane's essence transfer is now non-canon, so we can't possibly discuss it."

Because I thought you were referring to Palpatine's line from the movie, "as all the Sith live in me," not literally referring to Karpyshyn's non-canon Bane trilogy.

quote:
Compared to the Legends canon, where Bane can drop the essence transfer at the drop of a hat, Sidious's body switching in Disney seems to be situationally constrained.

Canon essence transfer is different from Legends transfer in that, in Legends, essence transfer could be attempted at any time by any practitioner against any target whereas in canon, the Emperor needs his intended target to strike him down in anger if it isn't a clone. That's why he was unable to possess Rey when she killed him at the end of TROS; she slew him in self-defense as opposed to murdering him in anger.

Additionally, Bane's essence transfer failed against Zannah because in Legends, a strong personality is capable of neutralizing the invading consciousness. In canon, Sheev is confident that as long as Rey strikes him down in anger, she will be unable to resist his possession.

quote:
Your counterargument, that Plagueis used the essence transfer to try to possess Sidious, fails to demonstrate that the technique was used offensively. Instead, I read the clip you shared as though Plagueis tried to flee to some other (unfinished) clone.

I read it as offensive in light of a number of reasons:

• Plagueis is not known to have had clones or to have anticipated Sheev's betrayal, whereas Sheev's anticipation of Vader's betrayal is presented as a contrast to Plagueis
  • The only explicit requirement for the essence transfer is for the possessed to strike down the possessor in anger and hate (which Sidious most certainly did with Plagueis)
  • Per the other excerpt I cited, Sheev claims he presented the same scenario to Luke at Endor as he did with Rey. If that's true and he intended to possess Luke, with whom Sheev shares no genetic commonality, the technique must be able to be used offensively

Inference favors the interpretation that essence transfer can indeed be used offensively against any target so long as that target is a Force sensitive who strikes down the possessor in an act of anger and hate.

So getting back to it, Sheev's essence transfer can indeed be weaponized against powerful Force users, with the explicit caveat that they open a channel to possession by striking him down in anger. There is a possible secondary constraint of genetic commonality, but I don't think that's been sufficiently demonstrated.

In Legends, Bane and Sidious and other adepts can attempt essence transfer against any Force-sensitive target without the need for that target to lash out in anger or hate, but it's also never worked against a resistant target, which is why Zannah pretty quickly snuffs Bane out of existence.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2020 04:39 AM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Originally posted by The_Tempest

Canon essence transfer is different from Legends transfer in that, in Legends, essence transfer could be attempted at any time by any practitioner against any target whereas in canon, the Emperor needs his intended target to strike him down in anger if it isn't a clone. That's why he was unable to possess Rey when she killed him at the end of TROS; she slew him in self-defense as opposed to murdering him in anger.

Additionally, Bane's essence transfer failed against Zannah because in Legends, a strong personality is capable of neutralizing the invading consciousness. In canon, Sheev is confident that as long as Rey strikes him down in anger, she will be unable to resist his possession.

In other words, Sidious's technique is situationally constrained. It would prove ineffective against any trained Jedi, whose creed is rooted entirely in a zen-like detachment from anger. Imagine if he'd tried this sh*t on Yoda.

(...and you know that my contention will be that Bane's essence transfer did not fail against Zannah. But that doesn't actually matter for the comparison of the two techniques lol)

I read it as offensive in light of a number of reasons:

• Plagueis is not known to have had clones or to have anticipated Sheev's betrayal, whereas Sheev's anticipation of Vader's betrayal is presented as a contrast to Plagueis
  • The only explicit requirement for the essence transfer is for the possessed to strike down the possessor in anger and hate (which Sidious most certainly did with Plagueis)
  • Per the other excerpt I cited, Sheev claims he presented the same scenario to Luke at Endor as he did with Rey. If that's true and he intended to possess Luke, with whom Sheev shares no genetic commonality, the technique must be able to be used offensively

Inference favors the interpretation that essence transfer can indeed be used offensively against any target so long as that target is a Force sensitive who strikes down the possessor in an act of anger and hate.

Your assertion that Plagueis "is not known" is at best trivially true; you've just gotten done reminding me that Plagueis as a character is entirely unexplored in the Disney canon. Moreover, you are using a highly uncharitable set of assumptions about his level of preparation. In particular, the invention of the canon essence transfer almost certainly involved experimentation or testing. Plagueis is just as likely to have a clone or mind-wiped slave waiting somewhere as Sidious was.

The passage about making the offer to Luke is really puzzling to me, to be honest. If Luke is a valid target, then certainly Kylo Ren would be as well. Given the revelation that Sidious has been manipulating his entire life, Kylo would be eager to strike him down at minute 7 of the movie. More importantly, if Luke is a valid target then why on earth would Sidious permit Vader to block Luke's strike when he breaks down and takes a swing during RotJ? No, this line seems to directly contradict the on-screen events from a higher order canon source (the movie from 1983).

So getting back to it, Sheev's essence transfer can indeed be weaponized against powerful Force users, with the explicit caveat that they open a channel to possession by striking him down in anger. There is a possible secondary constraint of genetic commonality, but I don't think that's been sufficiently demonstrated.

In Legends, Bane and Sidious and other adepts can attempt essence transfer against any Force-sensitive target without the need for that target to lash out in anger or hate, but it's also never worked against a resistant target, which is why Zannah pretty quickly snuffs Bane out of existence.

Sidious's essence transfer is useless against any trained Jedi. It also seems to require that he actually get stabbed, which can make rituals & Force techniques more difficult, as seen in various (legends) sources.

On the whole, our discussion has only convinced me that the novelization did little to clarify the parts of the Saga's finale that were most confusing to me. With a little reaching you can interpret it as yet another powerup for Sidious, but the ultimate power portrayed by Disney seem to fall short of the bar set by his own incarnation in DE & that displayed by other legends characters.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2020 05:47 PM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

In other words, Sidious's technique is situationally constrained. It would prove ineffective against any trained Jedi, whose creed is rooted entirely in a zen-like detachment from anger. Imagine if he'd tried this sh*t on Yoda.

Yes, but not only did I never deny that Sidious's technique is situationally constrained, I repeatedly emphasized it. I've simply refuted your insinuation that the Emperor can't possess powerful Force users. He can and it was the entire point of his [initial] confrontation with Rey. But if they don't lash out at him in anger, it's doomed to fail.

So to your remark here, it would be unlikely to succeed against someone like Yoda. Not because of anything to do with Yoda's power, but because Yoda is unlikely to hatefully attack Sidious.

quote:
(...and you know that my contention will be that Bane's essence transfer did not fail against Zannah. But that doesn't actually matter for the comparison of the two techniques lol)

Yes, but it did fail.

quote:
Your assertion that Plagueis "is not known" is at best trivially true; you've just gotten done reminding me that Plagueis as a character is entirely unexplored in the Disney canon.

Still true though!

quote:
Moreover, you are using a highly uncharitable set of assumptions about his level of preparation. In particular, the invention of the canon essence transfer almost certainly involved experimentation or testing. Plagueis is just as likely to have a clone or mind-wiped slave waiting somewhere as Sidious was.

"Just as likely?" No, there's no evidence for that. We have no idea what sort of experimentation was involved with essence transfer nor do we know if Plagueis or Sidious had ever successfully employed the technique prior to the Emperor's death at Endor. In Legends, Bane himself mastered the technique without ever having employed it prior to his battle with Zannah.

(please log in to view the image)

Per the text, the Emperor's Sith Eternal adepts on Exegol toiled for years with advance notice and preparations and still didn't manage to complete the job. Apparently cloning Force users is incredibly more intricate and complex than mass producing the bog standard non-Force sensitive clone.

quote:
The passage about making the offer to Luke is really puzzling to me, to be honest. If Luke is a valid target, then certainly Kylo Ren would be as well. Given the revelation that Sidious has been manipulating his entire life, Kylo would be eager to strike him down at minute 7 of the movie.

Yes, much of this film and its novelization is puzzling. I already offered offhand references to other major plot incoherences of the film and novel earlier in the thread:

quote:
Me
Yes, that's a thing TROS does.

For example, like Sidious ordering Kylo repeatedly to kill Rey, only to claim at the film's end that his intention was always for her to survive and wind up on Exegol. That contradicts the plot as well.

So too does the time Sidious tells Allegiant General Pryde that Leia inspiring Kylo to renounce the dark side "has disrupted [his] plans." Why does he care?

quote:
More importantly, if Luke is a valid target then why on earth would Sidious permit Vader to block Luke's strike when he breaks down and takes a swing during RotJ?

Who knows? With this revelation in mind, who's to say Sidious permitted Vader to block the strike in the first place?

Perhaps Vader took the initiative ostensibly to protect Sidious (or perhaps to spare Luke from a worse fate if Vader suspected that the Emperor had more sinister intentions for Luke's youthful, supple form).

Or perhaps, since the circumstances were different, Sidious considered either outcome to be a win-win scenario. At the time of Vader and Luke's duel in his throne room, the Emperor's form was relatively intact. If Luke strikes him down in anger, the Emperor could possess him. If Luke refuses or is prevented from striking him down, the Emperor can manipulate him into killing and replacing Vader and thus the Emperor has a stronger apprentice as a result... whom he might then be able to possess later on.

The Emperor works on the Xanatos Gambit and that situation can be seen as one. Either way, it's entirely speculative.

quote:
No, this line seems to directly contradict the on-screen events from a higher order canon source (the movie from 1983).

No, a contradiction is only the case when two propositions are mutually exclusive and you haven't demonstrated that this is the case. I just presented a scenario (however labyrinthine) where Sidious could have sought to possess Luke in the event Luke struck him down in anger but would also not be perturbed if Luke simply killed and replaced Vader, thus eliminating any contradiction.

Secondly, the canon tier system went away with the Disney continuity wipe. It's a Legends construct. All Star Wars works are equally canon.

quote:
Sidious's essence transfer is useless against any trained Jedi.

Not true. Rey is a trained Jedi:

And without Ben's intervention, she would have succumbed. So too was Luke a trained Jedi. And had Vader not intervened, as Sidious notes, he would have succumbed as well.

quote:
It also seems to require that he actually get stabbed, which can make rituals & Force techniques more difficult, as seen in various (legends) sources.

This is demonstrably false, as Sidious successfully performed the essence transfer at Endor without being stabbed.

quote:
On the whole, our discussion has only convinced me that the novelization did little to clarify the parts of the Saga's finale that were most confusing to me.

Yes, the novel is poorly written both as a clarifying document and as a story of its own. Shit prose, dialogue, and characterization from start to finish. Please don't waste your money on it as I did.

quote:
With a little reaching you can interpret it as yet another powerup for Sidious, but the ultimate power portrayed by Disney seem to fall short of the bar set by his own incarnation in DE & that displayed by other legends characters.

The Emperor disabling a 16,000 ship fleet with Force lightning is an extraordinary feat even in a Legends context and he's by far the most powerful individual Force user in canon with the possible exception of the Mortis Anchorites.

That said, no, I would not say he's the equal of his Legends counterpart. With a few outliers, the baseline of canon characters is discernibly lower than Legends and canon characters tend to lack the exceptional feats of their Legends counterparts.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2020 07:01 PM
xPRIMEx

So if Sidious originally wanted Luke to strike him down in anger so that his spirit could pass into him, why did Vader block his strike? 🤔 TRoS creates so many plot holes

Old Post Mar 21st, 2020 07:06 PM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

Originally posted by xPRIMEx
So if Sidious originally wanted Luke to strike him down in anger so that his spirit could pass into him, why did Vader block his strike? 🤔 TRoS creates so many plot holes

The novel, being ass, doesn't ever clarify. It just dumps that shit out of nowhere and moves on like nothing happened.

However, I offered my own hypothesis:

quote:
Who knows? With this revelation in mind, who's to say Sidious permitted Vader to block the strike in the first place?

Perhaps Vader took the initiative ostensibly to protect Sidious (or perhaps to spare Luke from a worse fate if Vader suspected that the Emperor had more sinister intentions for Luke's youthful, supple form).

Or perhaps, since the circumstances were different, Sidious considered either outcome to be a win-win scenario. At the time of Vader and Luke's duel in his throne room, the Emperor's form was relatively intact. If Luke strikes him down in anger, the Emperor could possess him. If Luke refuses or is prevented from striking him down, the Emperor can manipulate him into killing and replacing Vader and thus the Emperor has a stronger apprentice as a result... whom he might then be able to possess later on.

The Emperor works on the Xanatos Gambit and that situation can be seen as one. Either way, it's entirely speculative.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2020 07:09 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote:
"The Merry Rise of Skywalker" by Ian Doescher, coming July 28, will reimagine The Rise of Skywalker as a Shakespearean drama, complete with authentic meter and verse, and theatrical dialogue by everyone from Kylo Ren to Babu Frik. It will also complete Doescher's incredible nine-book Star Wars-as-Shakespeare series.

Jfc...

Old Post Apr 10th, 2020 12:16 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Wait is that real? confused

Old Post Apr 10th, 2020 02:01 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Oh it's very real, unfortunately.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2020 02:56 PM
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

sick

Old Post Apr 10th, 2020 04:33 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote