KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » The Rise of Skywalker (novelization)

The Rise of Skywalker (novelization)
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zenwolf

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
Tbf, Vader/Anakin doing so is even more "wtf".

At least Ben had trained under Luke for a number of years before the events of the ST... Vader somehow managed to become a Force Spirit on the fly, without ever receiving any training/guidance in that area.

Didn't Obi-Wan/Yoda teach him when he died?

Old Post Mar 7th, 2020 10:03 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Canon hasn't said anything definitive, but yeah, they must have taught him the ability postmortem(akin to how Qui-Gon learned), because his physical body didn't sublimate into the Force when he died.

...But Anakin learning how to fully manifest himself as an actual spirit(and not just a disembodied voice) a few hours after he died is pretty crazy. I get that he's the Chosen One and a prodigy, but damn...

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 7th, 2020 at 11:25 PM

Old Post Mar 7th, 2020 10:10 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

So evidently "The Doctrine of the Dyad" predates even the Sith Rule of Two...

"The Emperor gasped. Stared at his hands, which hand begun knitting themselves back together, bones regrowing, pale flesh closing over them. "The life-force of your bond," he said, his voice tingled with wonder. "A Dyad in the Force!"

His gleeful triumphant thoughts washed over Rey, as she struggled against his grip, unable to move. He had won. At last. All those years, all that searching. He'd tried to create a Dyad with Anakin, as his Master had tried to create one with him. The Rule of Two, a Master always in search of a yet more powerful apprentice, was a pale imitation, an unworthy but necessary successor to the older, purer Doctrine of the Dyad.

"Unseen for generations," he crowed. "And now the power of two restores the one true Emperor!"

He raised his perfect, healed hands, and called on all the dark power of the Force and the Sith who had come before him, and pulled their life from their very bodies. It poured from them like a river of light, leaving them weaker and weaker.

The Emperor laughed as his body strengthened, became whole. The milky film faded from his eyes, revealing golden irises around obsidian pupils."

Old Post Mar 8th, 2020 02:21 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

So they’ve retcon the Rule of Two now with the Dyad nonsense...

laughing out loud

**** Disney.

There's no way he couldn't have known. Even if he wasn't part of the storygroup, this info has been exploding the internet the past few days.

And yet he didn’t. He even dismissed it initially as click bait nonsense.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2020 02:48 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by ares834
So they've retcon the Rule of Two now with the Dyad nonsense...

laughing out loud

**** Disney.
The Rule of Two is now the second-string("unworthy") variation of The Doctrine of the Dyad. So essentially, when the Sith realized how hard it was to create a Dyad in the Force, they adopted the RoT out of necessity.

...Because god forbid they just keep the Dyad BS between Rey and Ben.

Originally posted by ares834
And yet he didn't. He even dismissed it initially as click bait nonsense.
That's really f*cking bad. sick

Old Post Mar 8th, 2020 03:01 AM
Sheev
The All-Sith

Oh boy.....

Well hey, at least we know for sure that Sidious was definitely harnessing the power of ALL the Sith before him.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2020 03:04 AM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

...I can't with this Dyad nonsense. Ok sure for Rey and Ben....fine I guess. But I feel it complicates things.

In fact, you know what this sounds like to me with the whole "amplifying one another and all that nonsense?"

Sounds to me like...Force Bond.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2020 03:42 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

but less cool than force bonds

Old Post Mar 8th, 2020 03:58 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

thumb up

Seems like the main difference is that Force bonds can be initiated at will, whereas these Dyads just sort of happen naturally and can't really be learned. Does that seem about right?

Old Post Mar 8th, 2020 12:38 PM
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

So evidently "The Doctrine of the Dyad" predates even the Sith Rule of Two...

"The Emperor gasped. Stared at his hands, which hand begun knitting themselves back together, bones regrowing, pale flesh closing over them. "The life-force of your bond," he said, his voice tingled with wonder. "A Dyad in the Force!"

His gleeful triumphant thoughts washed over Rey, as she struggled against his grip, unable to move. He had won. At last. All those years, all that searching. He'd tried to create a Dyad with Anakin, as his Master had tried to create one with him. The Rule of Two, a Master always in search of a yet more powerful apprentice, was a pale imitation, an unworthy but necessary successor to the older, purer Doctrine of the Dyad.

"Unseen for generations," he crowed. "And now the power of two restores the one true Emperor!"

He raised his perfect, healed hands, and called on all the dark power of the Force and the Sith who had come before him, and pulled their life from their very bodies. It poured from them like a river of light, leaving them weaker and weaker.

The Emperor laughed as his body strengthened, became whole. The milky film faded from his eyes, revealing golden irises around obsidian pupils."
So creating a dyad is always a Sith's main goal with their apprentices?

Plaguies tried creating one with Sidious, and Sidious tried creating one with Anakin. When they couldn't create a dyad, they just went with the Rule of Two.

Quite a revelation. confused

Old Post Mar 8th, 2020 12:55 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

thumb up

Seems like the main difference is that Force bonds can be initiated at will, whereas these Dyads just sort of happen naturally and can't really be learned. Does that seem about right?

Force bonds happen naturally too as far as I remember. But sounds about right, that and Sith could also have bonds too, wasn’t just a Jedi thing.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2020 02:04 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Eli Vanto
So creating a dyad is always a Sith's main goal with their apprentices?
Yep.

But because Dyads are evidently nigh-impossible for Sith to create, they use the less-preferable Rule of Two.

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Force bonds happen naturally too as far as I remember. But sounds about right, that and Sith could also have bonds too, wasn’t just a Jedi thing.
thumb up

Old Post Mar 8th, 2020 02:40 PM
Zenwolf

Yep.

But because Dyads are evidently nigh-impossible for Sith to create, they use the less-preferable Rule of Two.

thumb up

Yeah from what I've read on the Wookiee(I know, not too reliable, but the basis I mean)...Canon has Force bond separate from Dyad, the Bond in Canon can only have the pair connected and communicate across distances. The Dyad seems to be that amplifying aspect or whatever.

....So Canon essentially took Force Bond from Legends and split it in two because....reasons?

Old Post Mar 8th, 2020 02:48 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Yeah, Luke explained bonds a bit in Secrets of the Jedi. Funnily enough, he lists it under "Dark Force Abilities":
https://i.imgur.com/qdEOaXi.jpg

The bond itself is relatively benign, and essentially just allows the users to communicate across vast distances, sense each other's feelings, etc., but they are also very exploitable -- like when Palpatine used the bond between Yoda and Dooku to project the illusion into Yoda's mind to try and break him in TCW S06.

Dyad connections, however, not only amp the users' powers/abilities, but they can also inextricably teleport/materialize the users across galactic distances and have them occupy the same space, pass matter back and forth, etc. Based on what we saw with Rey and Ben(who had barely even scratched the surface of the ability), I imagine that a perfected Dyad connection would allow for absolutely ridiculous shenanigans to take place... Which is likely why the Sith always tried to create Dyads with their apprentices first.

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 8th, 2020 at 03:12 PM

Old Post Mar 8th, 2020 03:08 PM
Darth Thor

Oh jeez instead of explaining the Dyad better, they just keep digging a bigger hole for themselves.

Just give up justifying this trilogy Disney, and move on.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2020 04:05 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

One of the other leaked quotes implies that Plagueis also knew how to preform essence transfer, but wasn't able to when Sidious killed him because he didn't have any vessels ready.

So I wonder how far back that ability goes, and how many Sith knew it? I also have to wonder HOW Sidious was able to gather the power of every Sith before him?

Old Post Mar 8th, 2020 04:10 PM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

Well, it sort of makes sense if you think about it. The only reason is doesn't work is because it comes out of nowhere and they have to have these breaks in the text just to explain what's going on.

The same can be said for a bunch of stupid things about this movie: Palpatine coming back, the way he looks, being "all the sith," etc. I'm open to the ideas, had they executed them properly.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2020 06:05 PM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

Originally posted by Zentrex
Well, it sort of makes sense if you think about it. The only reason is doesn't work is because it comes out of nowhere and they have to have these breaks in the text just to explain what's going on.

The same can be said for a bunch of stupid things about this movie: Palpatine coming back, the way he looks, being "all the sith," etc. I'm open to the ideas, had they executed them properly.
As much as I love Sidious wank, they should not have brought him back.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2020 01:20 AM
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Sheev
As much as I love Sidious wank, they should not have brought him back.

I still can't get over the fact....Abrams could have literally undone Snoke's death with the cloning thing and yet...he didn't. ...He had the means to continue off of TFA, the movie he made....but didn't...just...uughh...

Old Post Mar 9th, 2020 01:44 AM
Sheev
The All-Sith

He should have definitely stuck with Snoke.

New character with an unknown backstory that he could have spun any number of interesting ways. But instead he tried cramming fan service down our throats and it just didn't work at all. There was zero need for Sidious to be a part of this.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2020 01:51 AM