KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars: The High Republic (aka. "Project Luminous")

Star Wars: The High Republic (aka. "Project Luminous")
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zentrex
Hi!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by quanchi112
I evolve from time to time.

quote:
"Fair enough. Preference is preference no point in arguing."

without a doubt.

Also, why do you guys want more films? What good could they possibly provide?

Old Post Apr 5th, 2020 12:56 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I'd rather not see more films... At least not anytime soon. I'm perfectly fine with comics, novels, and the occasional TV show. I tend to enjoy those more anyway.

Although I do believe that Disney still has plans to produce another trilogy(set in an unknown time period) at some point in the next few years.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Apr 5th, 2020 01:13 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

quote:
Although I do believe that Disney still has plans to produce another trilogy(set in an unknown time period) at some point in the next few years.

Oh, for sure. There's a Dan Weiss and David Benioff trilogy, a Rian Johnson Trilogy, and an Ahsoka film by Kevin Feige. Don't know which one's coming out first but the next film is in 2022.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2020 01:20 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Originally posted by Galan007
"Readers will see a very wide variety of Jedi in this era," says Lucasfilm Publishing creative director Michael Siglain. "This is a hopeful, optimistic time, when the Jedi are good and noble, and we want to reflect that in their characters while still giving them enough depth and dimension so that their individual personalities and idiosyncrasies shine through. The Jedi Knights of the High Republic are both aspirational and inspirational. In short, they're the good guys"

While the Jedi are undoubtedly heroes in The High Republic, they promise to be varied, unique, and very 'human' -- no matter their species. "We've put a lot of time and effort into making our Jedi feel like real, rounded individuals," writer Cavan Scott, one of the architects of The High Republic, tells StarWars.com. "They are all different, approaching the Force in individual and unique ways and yet are united with a common goal. They serve not out of unwavering dogma, but a deep passion to protect light and life. And they're all at different stages in their individual journeys. Some have experience on their side, some have the exuberance of youth. Some are still finding their place in the Order while others step naturally into leadership roles. Some may not have chosen to work with the Jedi they've been posted alongside, but all are dedicated to be a guiding light for the galaxy. Individually they are strong, together they are invincible, but like the best heroes they each have lessons to learn and challenges to overcome. Exciting times lie ahead..."

(please log in to view the image)

I want to learn more about Loden Greatstorm. His name alone sounds badass.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2020 02:15 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Thanks to general marketplace delays, this event has been postponed until January 2021:

Very disappointing.

Last edited by Galan007 on May 26th, 2020 at 08:24 PM

Old Post May 26th, 2020 08:21 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

I thought they were going back farther than that.

Yoda will be in his 600's during this.

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post May 26th, 2020 08:37 PM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Well that ****ing sucks. Was the one thing I was still looking forward to. sad

Old Post May 26th, 2020 08:48 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Originally posted by juggernaut74

It's a wise move.

Old Post May 27th, 2020 01:30 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by juggernaut74

200 years before the PT has always been the timeline.

Originally posted by Eli Vanto
Well that ****ing sucks. Was the one thing I was still looking forward to. sad
Same.

I understand why they're delaying this(it's actually a good business move), but it is still disappointing that we have to wait until next year for the launch.

Old Post May 27th, 2020 12:42 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Charles Soule reveals what the "galaxy wide disaster" that kickstarts this event is:
quote:
The moment that changes The High Republic forever, is an explosive disaster on the scale of The Last Jedi's Holdo Maneuver.

The destruction of the Legacy Run is the catalyst for a galaxy-wide disaster. Fragments of the destroyed cargo vessel begin flying out of hyperspace at super-accelerated speeds, meaning that deadly missiles of debris can appear anywhere at any time, from the Outer Rim to the Core. In this moment of crisis, the Republic turns to the guardians of peace and justice: the Jedi.

The opening beats of Light of the Jedi depict an epic disaster, and a heroic, thrilling response by both the Republic and the Jedi to save lives and end the crisis. It's just the beginning, though. The Legacy Run disaster kicks off a much larger story; it really is just one piece of a much bigger saga.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2020 01:10 AM
Zenwolf

Ok while I get that it might be bad for the Outer Rim worlds....but shouldn't the Core worlds have personal defenses in place for this sort of thing? Like planetary shields? Otherwise the planets would be screwed each time if some giant extinction level meteorite came around.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2020 01:18 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Are the Core worlds shielded? Even Coruscant seemed pretty vulnerable when the CIS attacked. /shrug

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2020 01:21 AM
ares834

This shit is so dumb. Not only are they doubling down on the idiocy that was the Holdo Maneuver but having something so simple cause galactic ramifications opens a whole new can of worms. Are we really supposed to believe this is the first time something like this has gone down? Accidents happen. Not to mention its easily achievable. Terrorist groups should be doing shit like this all the time...

Clearly, the people writing SW nowadays don't ever consider the ramifications their shit has on the rest of the universe. It doesn't take long to realize that this concept is inherently broken. And this is the main catalyst of the entire plot! Absolutely unreal.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2020 01:33 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Agree.

Unless it's the size of the Death Star/SKB, HOW can the debris from a single cargo vessel possibly cause galaxy-wide devastation(to the point where the entire Republic is scared shitless)..? And if it can, then why in the f*ck don't more baddies use that tactic?

*Hopefully* there's more to it than it seems(obviously the Nihil are sure to be responsible), but my initial thought is that it isn't just an anticlimactic way to kickstart an event -- it's also outright stupid.

Last edited by Galan007 on Jun 23rd, 2020 at 02:12 AM

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2020 02:10 AM
Zenwolf

Are the Core worlds shielded? Even Coruscant seemed pretty vulnerable when the CIS attacked. /shrug

I mean....I would certainly hope that the capital of the Republic had planetary defenses. .....If not then the Republic is just extremely stupid. As far as the invasion of Courscant, did the CIS not take the Republic by surprise?

Last edited by Zenwolf on Jun 23rd, 2020 at 02:34 AM

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2020 02:30 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Now that I think about it, didn't TFA establish that objects moving at or above the speed of light can bypass planetary shielding? That's how Han got the Falcon through the shields of SKB, iirc. I imagine that other types of planetary defenses would be equally as useless against that kind of thing.

But still, the hyperspace debris from one cargo vessel being able to rock the entire galaxy like this doesn't sit well with me. Really hope there's more to it than that.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2020 12:42 PM
Zenwolf

Now that I think about it, didn't TFA establish that objects moving at or above the speed of light can bypass planetary shielding? That's how Han got the Falcon through the shields of SKB, iirc. I imagine that other types of planetary defenses would be equally as useless against that kind of thing.

But still, the hyperspace debris from one cargo vessel being able to rock the entire galaxy like this doesn't sit well with me. Really hope there's more to it than that.

But if the debris is coming out of hyperspace, the debris isn't moving at lightspeed, it's just moving extremely fast at least coming out. Of course this could very well be the case if the debris is coming out of hyperspace through the planetary shield. But I guess we'll see what's what.

Yeah it still is kinda dumb though, a cargo vessel being the cause of some great galactic problems is kinda...dumb. I could see it being problems for perhaps a sector of space, but the whole galaxy?...Nah.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2020 01:07 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

On a related note, an excerpt from the first chapter which details the 'incident' a bit:

quote:
"Alarm generated by the navicomp, captain," called out her navigator, Cadet Kalwar, a young Quermian. "There's something in the hyperlane. Dead ahead. Big. Impact in ten seconds."

She knew this situation was impossible. The lanes were selected because they were free of potential debris, their clarity calculated down to a meter of resolution. Any granules missed would be detected and evaded by the shipboard navidroids making adjustments along the vector. Lightspeed collisions along established lanes were mathematical absurdities.

She also knew that even though it was impossible, it was happening, and that ten seconds was no time at all at speeds like the Legacy Run was traveling.

You can't trust hyperspace, she thought.

The Legacy Run was not an Incom Z-24 Buzzbug, or even one of the new Republic Longbeams. It was a sixty-year-old freighter at the end of--if not beyond--its operational lifespan, loaded to capacity, with engines designed for slow, gradual acceleration and deceleration, and docking with spaceports and orbital loading facilities. It maneuvered like a moon.

The Legacy Run was no warship. Not even close. But Hedda flew it like one.

She saw the obstacle in their path with her fighter pilot's eye and instincts, saw it advancing at incredible velocity, large enough that both her ship and whatever it was would be disintegrated into atoms, dust drifting forever through the hyperlanes. There was no time to avoid it. The ship could not make the turn. There was no room, and there was no time.

But Captain Hedda Casset was at the helm, and she would not fail her ship.

The tiniest tweak of the left control stick, and a larger rotation of the right, and the Legacy Run moved. More than it wanted to, but not less than she believed it could, and the huge freighter slipped past the obstacle in their path, the thing shooting past their hull so close Hedda was sure she felt its passing ruffle her hair despite the many layers of metal and shielding between them.

But they were alive. No impact. The ship was alive.

Turbulence, and Hedda fought it, feeling her way through the jagged bumps and ripples, closing her eyes, not needing to see to fly. The ship groaned, its frame complaining.

"You can do it, old gal," she said, out loud. "We're a couple of cranky old ladies and that's for sure, but we've both got a lot of life to live. I've taken damn good care of you, and you know it. I won't let you down if you won't let me down."

Hedda did not fail her ship.

It failed her.

The groan of overstressed metal became a scream. The vibrations of the ship's passage through space took on a new timbre Hedda had felt too many times before. It was the feeling of a ship that had moved beyond its limits, whether from taking too much damage in a firefight or, as here, just being asked to perform a maneuver that was more than it could give.

The Legacy Run was tearing itself apart. It had seconds to live, at most.

Hedda opened her eyes. She released the control sticks and tapped out commands on her console, activating the bulkhead shielding that separated each cargo module in the instance of a disaster, thinking that perhaps it might give some of the people aboard a chance. She thought about Serj and his friends, playing in the common area, and how emergency doors had just slammed down at the entrance to each passenger module, possibly trapping them in a zone that was shortly about to become vacuum. She hoped the children had gone to their families when the alarms sounded.

She didn't know.

She just didn't know.

Hedda locked eyes with her first officer, who was staring at her, knowing what was about to happen. He saluted.

"Captain," Lieutenant Bowman said, "it's been an--"

The bridge ripped open.

Hedda Casset died, not knowing if she had saved anyone at all.

Last edited by Galan007 on Jun 23rd, 2020 at 01:31 PM

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2020 01:29 PM
Zenwolf

...Hooold up lol. Did a pilot just react to things coming at lightspeed while in hyperspace?

Also I can't get over this, a cargo freighter....a FREIGHTER being this huge disaster piece to the entire galaxy is just...Even if it's a bulk freighter.

The galaxy even if it's much smaller than before(I still can't get over that huge drop either), it's still a huge place. What are the odds that pieces would hit consistently important worlds at all?

Last edited by Zenwolf on Jun 23rd, 2020 at 02:46 PM

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2020 02:37 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Zenwolf
...Hooold up lol. Did a pilot just react to things coming at lightspeed while in hyperspace?
Lol, yep... I believe she did.

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Also I can't get over this, a cargo freighter....a FREIGHTER being this huge disaster piece to the entire galaxy is just...Even if it's a bulk freighter.

The galaxy even if it's much smaller than before(I still can't get over that huge drop either), it's still a huge place. What are the odds that pieces would hit consistently important worlds at all?
It was a bulk freighter, but yeah, still dumb that it can cause this massive galactic calamity.

The canon galaxy is still at least 100,000 light years in diameter, ffs. The hyperspace debris from one cargo freighter being able to compromise even a micro-fraction of that is stupid... But again, I'm really hoping there's more to the story.

**The entire excerpt from the first chapter can be read here:
https://www.ign.com/articles/read-t...y-charles-soule

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2020 03:53 PM