KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Trivia: Count Dooku's opinion of Darth Maul.

Star Wars Trivia: Count Dooku's opinion of Darth Maul.
Started by: YousufKhan1212

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

Star Wars Trivia: Count Dooku's opinion of Darth Maul.

DISCLAIMER: This is just some Star Wars trivia that I felt like posting because I found it interesting, some people on this board may already be aware of this, but not necessarily everyone.

In TCW, Dooku describes Maul (TPM Maul specifically) as a "great Sith Lord" in a conversation with Savage:

quote:
Count Dooku: I foresee we will do great things together. I shall teach you the ways of the dark side. Soon, your powers will rival that of the great Sith Lord, Darth Maul. We will be even more powerful than Lord Sidious. We will rule the galaxy together, my apprentice.

Source — The Clone Wars Season 3, Episode 13, Monster.

Dooku calls Savage a great Sith Lord, which suggests he has some respect for Maul, but I don't think he was being genuine with his actual opinion of Maul. He may have exaggerating how highly he thinks of Maul to stroking Savage's ego, and I think it's odd for a Sith Lord like Dooku, to think highly of his predecessor in the position of being apprentice to Darth Sidious. In the RotS senior novel, Dooku seems to show a drastically different opinion of Maul:

quote:
"Get help!" The edge of panic in his hoarse half whispher sounded real even to Dooku. "You must get help. Neither of you is any match for a Sith Lord!"

Now Skywalker turned, meeting Dooku's direct gaze for the first time since the abandoned hangar on Geonosis. His reply was clearly intended as much for Dooku as for Palpatine. "Tell that to the one Obi-Wan left him pieces on Naboo."

Hmp. Empty Bravado. Maul had been an animal. A skilled animal, but a beast nonetheless." — Revenge of the Sith Novel.

In other words, Dooku's opinion of TPM Maul is that he is an animal, a animal who has some level of competency, but is a beast. It's very brief, but I think author Matthew Stover's intent was that Dooku doesn't dispute that TPM Maul was a skilled warrior, but considers TPM Maul to be very primitive and basic in his approach to fighting. This passage from the RotS senior novel is giving us a description of Dooku's private thoughts, a person's private thoughts have more truth to them than what they say to other people, so unless if Dooku suffers from dissociative identity disorder, he's being truthful. Before I move on, I just want to stress that the RotS senior novel was published with the subtext that Maul died from being cut in half on Naboo because it was written long before Maul's apparent death in TPM got retconned many years later by TCW, it's a pre-TCW source, it's not taking the TCW retconns into account. So Dooku, based on the subtext of the RotS senior novel, is reflecting on what he knows about Maul in the context of the pre-TCW EU.

There's also another novel that gives us more information:

quote:
In a forward hold of Grievous's flagship, Dooku watched the cyborg duel with his elite Magna Guards, three of his trophy lightsabers in constant motion, parrying thrusts of the guards' pulse-weaponed staffs, slicing the recycled air a hairbreadth from the expressionless faces of his opponents, incapacitating arm and leg servos when he could. Grievous was a force to be reckoned with, to be sure, but Dooku deplored his habit of collecting lightsabers. It had merely bothered him that Ventress and lesser combatants such as the bounty hunter Aurra Sing had adopted the foul practice. Grievous's habit struck Dooku at the worst kind of profanation. Even so, he was not about to discourage the practice. The more Jedi that could be dispatched, the better.

The only aspect of Grievous's technique that vexed him more was the general's penchant for using four blades. Two was bad enough—in the form they had been used by Darth Maul, or in Anakin Skywalker's sad attempt to employ the technique on Geonosis." — Labyrinth of Evil

As you can tell, Dooku held prejudice against anyone who used more than a single blade in lightsaber duels, believing that a single blade should suffice. People who used two blades, such as Darth Maul who wielded a double bladed lightsaber, and Anakin Skywalker who briefly used dual blades against Dooku on Geonosis - were bad enough, General Grievous however made Dooku sick to his stomach because of his use of four blades. The reason why Dooku has such a distaste for anyone who wielded multiple blades is because he was a Makashi purist, and only a single blade. Granted, Dooku does resort to using dual blades against Yoda in the AotC Comic Book Adaptation of their fight, but this depiction is based on an early screenplay, in fact this screenplay was filmed during the production of AotC:

(please log in to view the image)

However, George Lucas and the other filmmakers working on AotC evidently scrapped this idea, and Dooku was only using a single blade against Yoda in the final version of the movie. It's not just the movie itself that depicts Dooku using a single blade, the script, senior novel and junior novel only depict Dooku as using a single blade. So the concept of Dooku being willing to use more than one blade is incredibly outdated. Furthermore, even if we ignore that it's outdated, all it proves is that Dooku is a hypocrite. Even if he's a hypocrite by that standard, this doesn't change the fact that part of why he doesn't have anything nice to say about Maul is because of Maul's use of the double bladed lightsaber as opposed to a single bladed lightsaber.

CLOSING STATEMENTS: I hope this serves as an interesting piece of trivia.

Last edited by YousufKhan1212 on Mar 13th, 2020 at 10:05 PM

Old Post Mar 13th, 2020 10:01 PM
Click here to Send YousufKhan1212 a Private Message Find more posts by YousufKhan1212 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

It does!

Old Post Mar 14th, 2020 03:02 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

That was quite interesting indeed. Didn’t know Dooku despised dual-blade wielders

Old Post Mar 14th, 2020 03:02 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scizard

It is interesting, doesn't make too much sense though considering most of his disciples wield more than one blade. Ventress, Grievous, Savage. You'd think he'd tell them to use a single blade? I can see maybe an exception for Grievous though, what do you think?

Old Post Mar 14th, 2020 06:27 PM
Click here to Send Scizard a Private Message Find more posts by Scizard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Total Warrior
That was quite interesting indeed. Didn’t know Dooku despised dual-blade wielders

Didn't know that, either.

It makes perfect sense, though.

Originally posted by Scizard
You'd think he'd tell them to use a single blade?

My guess is he didn't want them to be as good as he is. He wanted to have the edge on them.

Old Post Mar 14th, 2020 07:09 PM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Good stuff, Yousuf. thumb up

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Mar 14th, 2020 08:35 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Scizard
It is interesting, doesn't make too much sense though considering most of his disciples wield more than one blade. Ventress, Grievous, Savage. You'd think he'd tell them to use a single blade? I can see maybe an exception for Grievous though, what do you think?

I think Dooku knows that his personal distaste for multiple blades isn't a valid excuse to force his disciples to limit themselves to one blade because they won't share that distaste, and different fighters have tend to prefer different tactics and techniques. Plus, I think if he tried doing that, Sidious would find out and be pissed off at Dooku for putting his disciples under such petty limitations because let's not forget that they're also Sidious's tools.

Old Post Mar 14th, 2020 08:37 PM
Click here to Send YousufKhan1212 a Private Message Find more posts by YousufKhan1212 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

thumb up

They were all just assassins/pawns in the end. Dooku may have looked down on those who used dual blades, but I would imagine that they would still give 'lower level' beings some sort of an advantage in most battles.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Mar 14th, 2020 08:46 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Galan007
Good stuff, Yousuf. thumb up

Thanks.

Old Post Mar 14th, 2020 11:51 PM
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Galan007
thumb up

They were all just assassins/pawns in the end. Dooku may have looked down on those who used dual blades, but I would imagine that they would still give 'lower level' beings some sort of an advantage in most battles.

This is correct.

Old Post Mar 14th, 2020 11:52 PM
Darth Thor

I mean theres literally no disadvantage to having a Saber staff or duel blades because you can always just use the 1 sword anyway. So all it does is add variety to the users fighting style.

However if the lower level combatants got too accustomed to using dual blades or a staff, then that could be a technical disadvantage they have.

Pont Krell was a total bad ass though with his 2 Saber staffs.

And lets not forget even Sidious has duel blades.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2020 02:22 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Darth Thor
I mean theres literally no disadvantage to having a Saber staff or duel blades because you can always just use the 1 sword anyway. So all it does is add variety to the users fighting style.

However if the lower level combatants got too accustomed to using dual blades or a staff, then that could be a technical disadvantage they have.

Pont Krell was a total bad ass though with his 2 Saber staffs.

And lets not forget even Sidious has duel blades.

This is true. Dooku's distaste for multiple blades is just his personal grumpyness.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2020 01:33 PM
McP

Originally posted by YousufKhan1212
DISCLAIMER: (...)but I don't think he was being genuine with his actual opinion of Maul. He may have exaggerating how highly he thinks of Maul to stroking Savage's ego, and I think it's odd for a Sith Lord like Dooku, to think highly of his predecessor in the position of being apprentice to Darth Sidious. In the RotS senior novel, Dooku seems to show a drastically different opinion of Maul:

Well, I would say that in Canon Dooku respected Maul. At least his skills. TCW is clear in that matter and I rather disagree that Dooku said that to hit Savage's ego.

Stover's interpretation is quite different, but one thing stays the same: Dooku respected Maul's skills. Animal, yet skilled animal, yes. After all, Maul killed Jinn, who was also respected by Dooku as I remember (perhaps I'm wrong though).

You know, its like with that saber throw. As I remember, in either book of sith or book of jedi, there was a notion from Dooku that sword should never left a fencer's hand. Or smth like that. But during his duel with Yoda, he used a saber throw. So some of the authors should be much more careful. Star Wars' Canon is not always consistent, but that's quite normal. After all, SW Canon in Legends was huge.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2020 04:37 PM
Click here to Send McP a Private Message Find more posts by McP Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by McP
Well, I would say that in Canon Dooku respected Maul. At least his skills. TCW is clear in that matter and I rather disagree that Dooku said that to hit Savage's ego.

Stover's interpretation is quite different, but one thing stays the same: Dooku respected Maul's skills. Animal, yet skilled animal, yes. After all, Maul killed Jinn, who was also respected by Dooku as I remember (perhaps I'm wrong though).

You know, its like with that saber throw. As I remember, in either book of sith or book of jedi, there was a notion from Dooku that sword should never left a fencer's hand. Or smth like that. But during his duel with Yoda, he used a saber throw. So some of the authors should be much more careful. Star Wars' Canon is not always consistent, but that's quite normal. After all, SW Canon in Legends was huge.

TCW exists in Legends as well. If you don't agree that Dooku was stroking Savage's ego, then perhaps you could assume TCW retconned Stover'a interpretation.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2020 07:40 PM