KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » ROTJ Luke Gauntlet

ROTJ Luke Gauntlet
Started by: Scizard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Thor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
Jedi vs. Sith (2016) states:

"Father and son were now equally strong with the Force, and equally skilled with their lightsabers."

Luke and Vader not trying to kill each other doesn't change the fact that they were intended to be equals(and that was before Luke tapped into the dark side.)

Intended is a strong word. Lucas disagrees with that being his intention (ROTJ Audio commentary). I guess his words are not canon to Disney But just pointing out Intention is the wrong word there given Lucas is the one that made those films, not Disney.

Also equally strong with the Force doesnt necessarily mean they have the same mastery over TK. And we know how strict these source books are on technicalities.

And personally I still think ROTS Anakin is > Vader in Sabers.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2020 07:18 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Psychotron
1)He swung at him while Luke's saber was of. Twice. You can't honestly say he wasn't trying. And Luke wasn't going all out on Vader either. Not until Vader threatened Leia.

2)No, but now we have pre-ESB Luke shaking Star Destroyers and Luke shortly after ROTJ bringing down Star Destroyers in the battle of Jakku. His TK is implied to be pretty monstrous.

1) We can because Luke says himself- Your thoughts betray you Father.. I feel the good in you... the Conflict...

And Vader even tells him later - You we’re right about me... Tell your sister, you were right...

Plus Vader is mainly seen as a beast due to his TK, not Sabers.

2) Shaking the SD he did accidentally. So mastery is important. Battle of Jakku would change things though. But its still a Post ROTJ feat.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2020 07:22 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scizard

What is your reasoning for thinking ROTS Anakin > Vader regarding Sabers?

Old Post Mar 19th, 2020 08:26 PM
Click here to Send Scizard a Private Message Find more posts by Scizard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by Scizard
What is your reasoning for thinking ROTS Anakin > Vader regarding Sabers?

He's one of those prequel maniacs, who believes that Vader lost most of his midichlorians or some shit.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2020 08:43 PM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Intended is a strong word. Lucas disagrees with that being his intention (ROTJ Audio commentary). I guess his words are not canon to Disney But just pointing out Intention is the wrong word there given Lucas is the one that made those films, not Disney.

Also equally strong with the Force doesnt necessarily mean they have the same mastery over TK. And we know how strict these source books are on technicalities.

And personally I still think ROTS Anakin is > Vader in Sabers.
This is canon Vader, though. So if GL's comments contradict new canon, they are irrelevant.

I think you're digging a bit. Per the source I referenced, Vader and Luke were definitely intended to be on equal footing during RotJ. They may not have been actively trying to kill each other at first(Vader was trying to turn Luke, and Luke was trying to turn Vader), but that doesn't change the the fact that Luke was meant to be operating on Vader's level... Vader no longer had a discernible advantage over him(be it with the Force or with lightsaber skill.)

Dunno, man. Nothing in canon suggests that Vader did anything but increase over the years.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 19th, 2020 at 09:21 PM

Old Post Mar 19th, 2020 09:02 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

I believe there’s a quote by filoni saying that Rebels was Vader in his prime. But that’s probably just because he had no conflict. There are many other sources that state Vader’s power grew over time.

My interpretation is that although Vader was more powerful during rotj, the conflict in him was such a hindrance that he was actually more formidable during rebels.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2020 09:27 PM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

It’s also possible that Filoni’s statement might not be referring to his power

Old Post Mar 19th, 2020 09:28 PM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scizard

Yeah, I think it was referring to his character or perhaps even the prime of that time, (basically, he has never been stronger). Just my interpretation though since I don't see a specific reason for Vader to have deteriorated.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2020 09:50 PM
Click here to Send Scizard a Private Message Find more posts by Scizard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Psychotron

Originally posted by Darth Thor
1) We can because Luke says himself- Your thoughts betray you Father.. I feel the good in you... the Conflict...

And Vader even tells him later - You we’re right about me... Tell your sister, you were right...

Plus Vader is mainly seen as a beast due to his TK, not Sabers.

2) Shaking the SD he did accidentally. So mastery is important. Battle of Jakku would change things though. But its still a Post ROTJ feat.

I don't deny his inner conflict, but he did take shots at an unarmed Luke. This is a fact. Also, there's nothing that indicates Vader's lightsaber skills diminished after ROTS in Disney canon to my knowledge.

But the raw power is there. The battle of Jakku happened only a year after ROTJ. Luke's learning curve is crazy, but I don't think Luke can grow from sub-Vader level to bringing down Star Destroyers with his TK in just one year. Galan's quote supports this.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2020 10:02 PM
Click here to Send Psychotron a Private Message Find more posts by Psychotron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote