KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » What do you like about your favorite characters?

What do you like about your favorite characters?
Started by: Zentrex

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zentrex
Hi!

What do you like about your favorite characters?

There's lots of threads in this forum asking who your favorites are, but I wanted to ask you to list some reasons for why you like them.

Honestly, though, I just made this as a way to understand Total Warrior's obsession with Vos.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2020 01:07 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Mainly because they are Non-Force Users and despite not having The Force or using a lightsaber, they are still interesting and can kick butt. Plus being well written is always a plus.

That and regurgitating the same information time and again for Jedi/Sith, it makes looking up these characters far more appealing to me with seeing something new as far as backstory, abilities, equipment and so on.

However some of my fave characters though are also Force Users, but not the mainstream ones, now granted the likes of Luke/Anakin/Vader and so on will always be in my fav list.

But these other Force Users I like come from the fact I like my Non-Force Users too, in that they are more interesting because they aren't known by everyone and everyone knows the tiniest of detail of their lives.

Basically I like them, because people don't know them and thus the information is far newer and has that new appeal. The stories they are involved in are also pretty good too, at least imo.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2020 01:33 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Merchant

One of my favorite characters is Luke from the OT, especially ANH Luke. Just feel I relate with him the most, being stuck at some dead end job and just hoping things turn out 4 the best.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2020 03:03 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ozz81

Obi wans: nobleness , wisdom, and kindness .

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2020 03:58 AM
Click here to Send ozz81 a Private Message Find more posts by ozz81 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

Sidious

because hes always ALWAYS in control, nothing phases the guy, hes the mastermind and everything goes to plan for him, especially in the PT era of course.. but nobody knows about him and those that do fear him greatly in that era, even as you movie into the Empire era hes still a mystery and only those close to him know his true nature... a man to model a business approach from for sure wink

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2020 05:11 AM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ozz81

Yoda: wisdom, humbleness, and kindness,

Darth Maul: his confidence, perseverance, fitness, agility etc , fearlessness . light Saber skills and acrobatics .

Sidious :- calmness, cool accent, good strategist, confidence. His powers and abilities .

Mace windu :- his fearlessness and confidence, his interesting ability, perception and insightfulness

Darth Vader:- awesome accent or voice always a Classic especially the dialogue between him and old obi wan.. Again his confidence .

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2020 05:27 AM
Click here to Send ozz81 a Private Message Find more posts by ozz81 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

Wow, I...I didn't know what I was expecting, but these are really great answers! Thanks, guys! big grin

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2020 10:03 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Vos is a jedi, but he is not a conventional one, since he works a lot in the underworld he is more pratical and realistic, he is not some kind of monk detached from reality like the most stoic Jedi. In general I like characters that are a bit more complex, rather than just being completely good and kind (like obi or yoda) or compeltely evil (like sidious)

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2020 10:18 AM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Total Warrior
Vos is a jedi, but he is not a conventional one, since he works a lot in the underworld he is more pratical and realistic, he is not some kind of monk detached from reality like the most stoic Jedi. In general I like characters that are a bit more complex, rather than just being completely good and kind (like obi or yoda) or compeltely evil (like sidious)

Yeah, Star Wars has always been different from typical science fiction because everyone actually acts and speaks like a real person. Lucas screwed it up in the Prequels, making all the Jedi just these unbelievable, stoic, unrealistic monks, unlike anything we saw or imagined in the originals.

Vos is what the Jedi were always meant to be like, I would imagine.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2020 11:10 PM
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

Originally posted by Zentrex
Yeah, Star Wars has always been different from typical science fiction because everyone actually acts and speaks like a real person. Lucas screwed it up in the Prequels, making all the Jedi just these unbelievable, stoic, unrealistic monks, unlike anything we saw or imagined in the originals.

Vos is what the Jedi were always meant to be like, I would imagine.

that was the entire point of the PT Jedi though, they were out of touch and that's the chief reason why they were wiped out

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2020 04:29 AM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Eli Vanto is obviously my favorite.

The kid started out as a country bumpkin that was basically Thrawn's secretary. But Thrawn soon noticed that Eli had a brilliant tactical mind and spent years subtly helping him cultivate that.

Thrawn gained so much trust in Eli and his abilities that he eventually had him begin working directly with the Chiss ascendancy in the Unknown Regions, where he became an invaluable asset.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2020 01:12 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

Originally posted by relentless1
that was the entire point of the PT Jedi though, they were out of touch and that's the chief reason why they were wiped out

Well, that's exactly the problem. We didn't need an incompetend, idiotic jedi council in an era like that. Obi-Wan being a bad teacher could have been enough to fail Anakin. And Palpatine should've outsmarted competent jedi by being better than them.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2020 08:47 AM
Zentrex
Hi!

Originally posted by Eli Vanto
Eli Vanto is obviously my favorite.

The kid started out as a country bumpkin that was basically Thrawn's secretary. But Thrawn soon noticed that Eli had a brilliant tactical mind and spent years subtly helping him cultivate that.

Thrawn gained so much trust in Eli and his abilities that he eventually had him begin working directly with the Chiss ascendancy in the Unknown Regions, where he became an invaluable asset.

thumb up

Old Post Mar 24th, 2020 08:48 AM
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

Originally posted by Zentrex
Well, that's exactly the problem. We didn't need an incompetend, idiotic jedi council in an era like that. Obi-Wan being a bad teacher could have been enough to fail Anakin. And Palpatine should've outsmarted competent jedi by being better than them.

we did need that though, we needed a more adult approach as to why the Jedi failed and fell... them being out of touch as a whole is a much better narrative then being these infallible people; thats been the issue most have with characters like superman for decades now... being black or white with no shades of grey just isn't realistic or believable in storytelling anymore

Old Post Mar 25th, 2020 12:37 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

we did need that though, we needed a more adult approach as to why the Jedi failed and fell
Shame we never actually got that. The PT Jedi were braindead morons who huff glue. Incredibly stupid characters aren't the same as flawed characters.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2020 12:52 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

we did need that though, we needed a more adult approach as to why the Jedi failed and fell... them being out of touch as a whole is a much better narrative then being these infallible people; thats been the issue most have with characters like superman for decades now... being black or white with no shades of grey just isn't realistic or believable in storytelling anymore

I think infallibility can coexist with the likability of characters. But that's not really the point I was making. The council didn't need to even be involved, or to even exist, really. Obi-Wan's failure woud have been enough.

I interpreted, from the originals, that the Jedi would be like Knights to the Vassals to the Good Monarch. Eventually, the Evil Emperor would overthrow the Good Monarch, with a Fallen Knight by his side.

Having the Jedi council fail so miserably just makes them look stupid.

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Incredibly stupid characters aren't the same as flawed characters.

thumb up

Old Post Mar 25th, 2020 06:16 AM