KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Sidious vs Vader (Details)

Sidious vs Vader (Details)
Started by: Scizard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Not to mention him once overpowering The Son and Daughter combined ffs.
On Mortis... The ultimate universal Force nexus that was amping all of them(especially Anakin.) That is certainly not something that Anakin would have been able to do under normal circumstances.

For a point of reference, not even The Father could control his children off of Mortis.

-The databank has made it clear Palpatine KNEW Vader would be weaker after his injuries. He wasnt talking about needing recovery time after coming off the operating table.
That quote is clearly referring to Vader just off the operating table in RotS, as per the corresponding picture.

After becoming accustomed to his armor, however, Vader's abilities were not hindered at all... To the contrary, he was more powerful than ever.

-Ahsoka did run from Palpatine. Her and Ezra combined could not hold Palpatine off.
Right.

But the point is that even Palpatine didn't instantly ragdoll/own Ahsoka, despite wielding hyper-powerful Sith magics at the time(so powerful, in fact, that he literally ripped into TWBW without a proper gateway)... So I'm not sure why you would expect Vader to just waltz up and TK ragdoll her in a Filoni-created/produced show? We all know that's not going to happen, and certainly doesn't diminish Vader's standing.

- Vader needed Luke to overthrow the Emperor. This was according to Lucas himself, because Vader possibly lost the potential to do so. Nothing in the new canon has changed that. The plot of the OT has not been retconned.
Again, Palpatine's power certainly continued increasing in the 20+ years between RotS and RotJ as well, due to his incessant knowledge-hoarding.

However, this does not preclude the notion that Vader also grew tremendously over the same period, and could have very well surpassed the level of RotS Palpatine, due to reasons I have already detailed. He simply needed Luke's help to overthrow Palpatine at that point in time(ESB/RotJ-era.)

- Exactly where was this room for improvement
See above.

Vader improved in his use of TK. And in consistent performances. So that is an improvement, and power up of sorts. But aside from that hes not levelled up one from Anakins peak performances. Nothing shows that anywhere.
One more time:
-Vader didn't lose any of his potential.
-His injuries made his connection to the Force stronger than ever.
-His lightsaber skill was just as good, if not better, than ever before(a canon source puts him above Palpatine in sabers, for what it's worth.)
-He had 20+ years of near-constant battle to further hone his abilities.
-He was massively(ie. "light years") beyond the likes of Dooku.
-And a few sources imply that he was in Palpatine's tier from the get-go.

Vader not being able to fight random, Dooku-level foes all the time, doesn't change the abundance of information(and moreover logic) at hand. We have every reason to believe he did nothing but improve across the board after the events of RotS, and literally no legitimate reason to believe he capped at RotS level. erm

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 30th, 2020 at 02:23 AM

Old Post Mar 30th, 2020 01:00 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

I never really got the whole Anakin > Vader thing in either Canonicity. Because it always just seems to be "Well Anakin has more raw power" and...that's kinda it. Raw power/potential is all well and good, but if it's not actually usable then it's not meaning anything.

Always felt like they were close due to their own advantages, but obviously there are differences between the two given one is in a life support armored suit.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2020 01:54 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I could at least follow the logic in Legends(even though it never made sense to me), because they made it a point to emphasize that Vader's injuries did reduce his power/potential, and the armor did inhibit him to some extent.

...But in canon it's the complete opposite. The injuries didn't gimp Vader's potential, and ultimately just increased his overall power/connection to the Force, and the armor didn't hinder him at all once he was accustomed to it.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2020 02:07 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Galan007
I could at least follow the logic in Legends(even though it never made sense to me), because they made it a point to emphasize that Vader's injuries did reduce his power/potential, and the armor did inhibit him to some extent.

...But in canon it's the complete opposite. The injuries didn't gimp Vader's potential, and ultimately just increased his overall power/connection to the Force, and the armor didn't hinder him at all once he was accustomed to it.

It was the same with previous lore too, he got accustomed to his suit and all that, it's stated he grew in power, being a threat to Sidious, etc and so on. It just wasn't out the gate like the new canon.

I mean really, it seemed like it was the same for Anakin who would grow to be a threat to Sidious, his power grew and all that.

So I never really felt any huge gap between the pair.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2020 02:14 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scizard

Don't see how the databank makes sense, it says Sidious knew that Vader's broken body would make him *weaker* than before.

Whereas Lords of the Sith says that Vader's injuries strengthened his connection to the force and says he never felt more connected to the force then when his fury burned, which he always due to his hatrid remaining.

There's a source that also says Vader's suit enhanced his powers.

So if he's stronger in the force how can Sidious know that he is weaker than before. Makes no sense. confused

Last edited by Scizard on Mar 30th, 2020 at 10:33 AM

Old Post Mar 30th, 2020 10:26 AM
Click here to Send Scizard a Private Message Find more posts by Scizard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Per the corresponding picture, the databank quote is referring to Vader just coming off the operating table in RotS, when his armor and mangled body were still foreign to him. Perhaps that may have gimped his powers initially(or so Palpatine thought.)

Lords of the Sith(and all the other sources referenced), however, are referring to Vader's power after he became accustomed to the injuries/armor... And in so doing, his overall abilities became stronger than ever.

Heck, you could even argue that the databank blurb is contradicted by Soule's Darth Vader series, given that the moment Vader stepped foot off the operating table, he TK-hurled Palpatine into a wall and held him there for a bit:
https://i.imgur.com/BDVlY3T.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/BdZRqrt.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/FMv6cNg.jpg

Then literally just a few days afterward, he was already fighting Kirak Infil'a, who scales above the likes of RotS Kenobi if the solicits for issue #3 are any indicator:
"A Jedi more powerful than ANY Vader has faced before."

And when coupled with Giuseppe Camuncoli's statement regarding Vader's power in issue #3:
"[Vader's] armor is just new to him, so of course you have to make him feel a little less confident then he is when he's in his older days [...] But somehow he is such a great fighter. He is a being of great power. He was a great Jedi before, and he's become maybe the most powerful Sith around."

...It paints a pretty telling picture of where he stood immediately after RotS.

Either way, the databank quote doesn't negate anything mentioned thus far in regard to Vader's power-creep between RotS and RotJ.

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 30th, 2020 at 03:25 PM

Old Post Mar 30th, 2020 12:09 PM
NewGuy01
perpetual

Originally posted by Zenwolf
I never really got the whole Anakin > Vader thing in either Canonicity. Because it always just seems to be "Well Anakin has more raw power" and...that's kinda it. Raw power/potential is all well and good, but if it's not actually usable then it's not meaning anything.

Always felt like they were close due to their own advantages, but obviously there are differences between the two given one is in a life support armored suit.

Funny.

quote:
Vader turned and moved for the hatch.

But this is not walking, he thought.

Long accustomed to building and rebuilding droids, supercharging the engines of landspeeders and starfighters, upgrading the mechanisms that controlled the first of his artificial limbs, he was dismayed by the incompetence of the medical droids responsible for his resurrection in Sidious's lofty laboratory on Coruscant.

His alloy lower legs were bulked by strips of armor similar to those that filled and gave form to the long glove Anakin had worn over his right-arm prosthesis. What remained of his real limbs ended in bulbs of grafted flesh, inserted into machines that triggered movement through the use of modules that interfaced with his damaged nerve endings. But instead of using durasteel, the medical droids had substituted an inferior alloy, and had failed to inspect the strips that protected the electromotive lines. As a result, the inner lining of the pressurized bodysuit was continually snagging on places where the strips were anchored to knee and ankle joints.

The tall boots were a poor fit for his artificial feet, whose claw-like toes lacked the electrostatic sensitivity of his equally false fingertips. Raised in the heel, the cumbersome footgear canted him slightly forward, forcing him to move with exaggerated caution lest he stumble or topple over. Worse, they were so heavy that he often felt rooted to the ground, or as if he were moving in high gravity.

What good was motion of this sort, if he was going to have to call on the Force even to walk from place to place! He may as well have resigned himself to using a repulsor chair and abandoned any hope of movement.

[...]
"They eluded me." Vader lifted his scarred face to regard Sidious. "But they wouldn't have if this suit didn't restrict me to the point of immobility!
[...]

The defects in his prosthetic arms mirrored those of his legs.

Only the right one felt natural to him-though it, too, was artificial-and the pneumatic mechanisms that supplied articulation and support were sometimes slow to respond. The weighty cloak and pectoral plating so restricted his movement that he could scarcely lift his arms over his head, and he had already been forced to adapt his lightsaber technique to compensate.

He could probably adjust the servodrivers and pistons in his forearms to provide his hands with strength enough to crush the hilt of his new lightsaber. With the power of his arms alone, he had the ability to lift an adult being off the ground. But the Force had always given him the ability to do that, especially in moments of rage, as he had demonstrated on Tatooine and elsewhere. What's more, the sleeves of the bodysuit didn't hug the prostheses as they should, and the elbow-length gloves sagged and bunched at his wrists.

[...]
But there was a problem.

His new hands were too large to duplicate the loose grip Anakin had favored, right hand wrapped not on the grip but around the crystal-housing cylinder, close to the blade itself. Vader's hands required that the grip be thicker and longer, and the result was an inelegant weapon, verging on ungainly.

Another cause of the injury to his left arm.
[...]

Gazing at the gloves now, he thought: This is not seeing.

The pressurized mask was goggle-eyed, fish-mouthed, short-snouted, and needlessly angular over the cheekbones. Coupled with a flaring dome of helmet, the mask gave him the forbidding appearance of an ancient Sith war droid. The dark hemispheres that covered his eyes filtered out light that might have caused further injury to his damaged corneas and retinas, but in enhanced mode the half globes reddened the light and prevented him from being able to see the toes of his boots without inclining his head almost ninety degrees.

Listening to the servomotors that drove his limbs, he thought: This is not hearing.

The med droids rebuilt the cartilage of his outer ears, but his eardrums, having melted in Mustafar's heat, had been beyond repair. Sound waves now had to be transmitted directly to implants in his inner ear, and sounds registered as if issuing from underwater. Worse, the implanted sensors lacked sufficient discrimination, so that too many ambient sounds were picked up, and their distance and direction were difficult to determine. Sometimes the sensors needled him with feedback, or attached echo or vibrato effects to even the faintest noise.

[...]
With the loss of my limbs, have I also lost strength in the Force?

Vader recognized the voice of the one who posed the question as the specter of Anakin. Anakin telling him that he was not as powerful as he thought he was. The little slave boy, cowering because lie was not the master of his fate. A mere accessory in the world, owned by another, passed over. And now newly enslaved!

He lifted his masked face to the cabin's ceiling and growled in torment. Sidious's inept med droids had done this to him! Slowed his reflexes, burdened him with armor and padding. He relished having destroyed them.
[...]
And you rage and scream and reach through the Force to crush the shadow who has destroyed you, but you are so far less now than what you were, you are more than half machine, you are like a painter gone blind, a composer gone deaf, you can remember where the power was but the power you can touch is only a memory, and so with all your world-destroying fury it is only droids around you that implode, and equipment, and the table on which you were strapped shatters, and in the end, you cannot touch the shadow.
[...]

Allowing his lungs to fill with air, he thought: This is not breathing.

Here the med droids had truly failed him.

From a control box he wore strapped to his chest, a thick cable entered his torso, linked to a breathing apparatus and heartbeat regulator. The ventilator was implanted in his hideously scarred chest, along with tubes that ran directly into his damaged lungs, and others that entered his throat, so that should the chest plate or belt control panels develop a glitch, he could breathe unassisted for a limited time.

But the monitoring panel beeped frequently and for no reason, and the constellation of lights served only as steady reminders of his vulnerability.

The incessant rasp of his breathing interfered with his ability to rest, let alone sleep. And sleep, in the rare moments it came to him, was a nightmarish jumble of twisted, recurrent memories that unfolded to excruciating sounds.

The med droids had at least inserted the redundant breathing tubes low enough so that, with the aid of an enunciator, his scorched vocal cords could still form sounds and words. But absent the enunciator, which imparted a synthetic bass tone, his own voice was little more than a whisper.

He could take food through his mouth, as well, but only when he was inside a hyperbaric chamber, since he had to remove the triangular respiratory vent that was the mask's prominent feature. So it was easier to receive nourishment through liquids, intravenous and otherwise, and to rely on catheters, collection pouches, and recyclers to deal with liquid and solid waste.

But all those devices made it even more difficult for him to move with ease, much less with any grace. The pectoral armor that protected the artificial lung weighed him down, as did the electrode-studded collar that supported the oversized helmet, necessary to safeguard the cybernetic devices that replaced the uppermost of his vertebrae, the delicate systems of the mask, and the ragged scars in his hairless head, which owed as much to what he had endured on Mustafar as to attempts at emergency trephination during the trip back to Coruscant aboard Sidious's shuttle.

The synthskin that substituted for what was seared from his bones itched incessantly, and his body needed to be periodically cleansed and scrubbed of necrotic flesh.

Already he had experienced moments of claustrophobia-moments of desperation to he rid of the suit, to emerge from the shell. He needed to build, or have built, a chamber in which he could feel human again...

If possible.

All in all, he thought: This is not living.

This was solitary confinement. Prison of the worst sort. Continual torture. He was nothing more than wreckage. Power without clear purpose.

Make no mistake: the only, only reason Vader could fight competently in Legends at all was because Anakin was that good to begin with. Vader is disabled in almost every way imaginable.
He's half-blind, half-deaf, has so much weight and bulk he might as well be morbidly obese, his sensations and reflexes are patchy at best, he's chronically intubated and catheterized with machines taped to his chest and pelvis, he never sleeps, and his connection to the force is less than half as strong as it was previously

Last edited by NewGuy01 on Mar 30th, 2020 at 08:03 PM

Old Post Mar 30th, 2020 07:49 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

Those sources are legends?

Old Post Mar 30th, 2020 08:32 PM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Yeah, Legends.

It's from The Rise of Darth Vader.

Old Post Mar 31st, 2020 12:08 AM
NewGuy01
perpetual

I also threw in a tidbit from Revenge of the Sith since it was pertinent.

Old Post Mar 31st, 2020 07:01 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Still, it seemed like RotS Anakin was about to surpass Yoda and Sidious, if he hadn't already. Hell, there are some sources that state he was already the strongest Jedi. And him dominating Dooku kinda solidifies it. If he still got more powerful after Mustafar... how come he was always weaker than the Emperor?

Old Post Mar 31st, 2020 09:07 AM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^ Because Palpatine's power increased over that time as well.

But even if we assume that Vader's power already rivaled Palpatine's just after RotS, Vader certainly wouldn't have tried to challenge/kill him at that point, because he was still very subservient and felt there was much that Palpatine could teach him. He only became 'disgruntled' with Palpatine later in life.

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 31st, 2020 at 02:05 PM

Old Post Mar 31st, 2020 01:52 PM
Scizard

In Lords of the Sith, IIRC, Vader theorizes that Palpatine was holding back his true strength during their little adventure. It's quite possible that Vader couldn't identify Palpatines true strength/limits and decided not to challenge him without Luke (insurance) for that reason. He could just generally be overestimating Palpatine.

Old Post Mar 31st, 2020 02:55 PM
Click here to Send Scizard a Private Message Find more posts by Scizard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

Also it’s not like Vader was back to his pre-Mustafar strength immediately after being put in the suit. It took some time to get used to and to learn how to use the pain and anger to increase his connection to the force. Also like Galan007 said, Palpatine was probably growing more powerful as well. That would explain why he never reached Palpatine’s level

Old Post Mar 31st, 2020 07:39 PM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

The way I look at it is like a football play who had a bad injury but came back and became even better than before. It would still take the football player a lot of time to recover and regain their old skills.

Old Post Mar 31st, 2020 07:41 PM
Zenwolf

As I noted Newguy, Vader got accustomed to his suit. Never said he immediately got used to it.

Old Post Mar 31st, 2020 08:15 PM
Zentrex
Hi!

Originally posted by Galan007
^ Because Palpatine's power increased over that time as well.

I was about to scoff at that, considering Anakin could just be weaker in the NuCanon, but then I realized this was Sheevwank. And since I am obligated to peddle and support all reasonable Sheevwank, this will be my main Sidious ranking from now on smile

Old Post Apr 1st, 2020 04:46 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

laughing out loud Fair enough.

But it's also a completely logical assertion based on the info at hand.

We know that Vader's injuries never really gimped his potential. We know that his armor never really hindered his power/skill. We know his connection to the Force was stronger than ever as a result of his injuries. We have every reason to believe that his overall abilities only increased over the years.

So in order for Palpatine to maintain supremacy over Vader, his own powers must have increased substantially as well... And given the knowledge-hoarding that Palpatine was doing, there's really no logical way for his power to not have increased over the course of 20+ years.

Old Post Apr 1st, 2020 01:45 PM
Zentrex
Hi!

Correct, though what I was getting at was Anakin's power. In Legends, he was godlike at the time of Knightfall, but only because he was about to be pushed back down to reasonable levels.

It was a little hard for me to believe that he would be that powerful in Canon, since that would scale RotJ Palpatine leagues beyond every other force user up to his time (aside from the Ones). Although this would lend some credence to Vader's claim that his master was more powerful than the Bendu.

But then Luke and Rey would be even crazier levels of powerful. I guess I can accept it for now, but this really changes things.

Old Post Apr 1st, 2020 03:17 PM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Probably because you're still thinking of Knightfall Anakin from Legends, who was mused(if not directly stated) to be the most powerful Jedi in the Order, and beyond even Yoda at the time. Then Mustafar happened and he diminished significantly across the board.

In canon, however, 'Knightfall' Anakin doesn't have the accolades of his Legends counterpart -- all we know is that he was obviously very powerful/skilled. Difference in canon is that after the events of RotS, Vader wasn't implied to have diminished at all. To the contrary, his power/skill was greater than ever. ie. if he was a 10 before Mustafar, he was still a 10 after... And only continued growing from there.

Last edited by Galan007 on Apr 1st, 2020 at 05:06 PM

Old Post Apr 1st, 2020 05:01 PM