KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » A hypothetical debate about cures and vaccines

What are Bob's options?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes, Bob has a right to a profit. 3 50.00%
No, Bob should not be able to profit. 3 50.00%
Total: 6 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

A hypothetical debate about cures and vaccines
Started by: Impediment

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Impediment
Endless

A hypothetical debate about cures and vaccines

Let's present a hypothetical scenario in this time of pandemic and fear because of a viral outbreak.

Let's introduce Bob.

Bob is a law abiding, good natured, forty year old white male.

Bob volunteers to be a human experiment for the COVID-19 study and let's himself be injected with said virus and his blood studied.

As it turns out, Bob's blood is THE cure for COVID-19. This man's blood will save millions and be the doorway to a new era of cures and vaccines.

Bob is also a capitalist. Bob wants his blood to be bought and sold so that he can make a profit.

Public outcry emerges. People are enraged and hostile. News media covers the case at hand.

People tell Bob that Jonas Salk, the man who invented the vaccine for polio, was asked "Who owns this patent?", and Salk replied, "Well, the people I would say. There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?"

Bob says "I am not Salk nor the Sun. I want to make money from my blood that is the cure."

Martin Shkreli, the man who charged $750 for the Daraprim pill, was labeled as "the most hated man in America" because of his business ideals, but was still within his legal rights.

Can Bob be ordered to involuntarily surrender his blood?

Can Bob patent the cure? Should he be allowed to? Is this ethical? Where does capitalism have a line drawn in the sand?

Can Bob be government ordered to not do what he wished with his own body? Is this similar with women who want an abortion but are told that they're not allowed to?

What is your overall opinion? Even if the price weren't astronomically high, can or should a cure for a global virus be sold or charged?

“Dreams shape the world."

Last edited by Impediment on Mar 25th, 2020 at 05:15 PM

Old Post Mar 25th, 2020 05:12 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

As far as profit?

From a business perspective, no, Bob should not profit.

From an individual perspective, Bob should be compensated by the Federal Government for his R&D and time. $350K a year, with a minimum of $350k being paid out, sounds fair. And he should get a guarantee that he can keep his job when he gets his blood taken ever 3 days.

Last edited by dadudemon on Mar 25th, 2020 at 05:20 PM

Old Post Mar 25th, 2020 05:16 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

quote: (post)
Originally posted by dadudemon
As far as profit?

From a business perspective, now, Bob should not profit.

Can you elaborate, please? That's what I'm curious about.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2020 05:19 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Impediment
Can you elaborate, please? That's what I'm curious about.

Profit implies a business is being run if you are talking about profit from a business perspective.

From an indivudal perspedtive and the more loosely used definition of "profit", meaning, 'Should Bob be compensated for his time and blood?', yes, Bob should profit.

Should Bob higher a team of lawyers, start an LLC, have all dealings with him and his blood be handled through that team of lawyers, get a business Tax ID, business license if needed, file taxes, offer shares (private), and allow people to invest and benefit from his blood?

No. Bob should not do this. Can Bob do this? Yes, under the current system in the US, Bob can do this.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2020 05:22 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

I like that answer. I agree, to an extent.

What about people/the public who would counter with "How can you accept money for what you can give to the world? How are you able to make money when you can be a good human and let it be given to the world without you making even one dollar from sick people?"

Old Post Mar 25th, 2020 05:26 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

If Bob volunteered, he would have likely signed a waiver and any research pertaining to his blood (ie cure) would be the property of the biomedical corporation who did the testing. So Bob would be shit out of luck

On a personal level, I think Bob should be rewarded though for potentially saving millions, especially if the pharmaceutical company will be profiting off the drug.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Mar 25th, 2020 05:38 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

If he volunteers, he automatically waivers certain rights, but I do believe whatever group that uses him, should compensate him for life, and at least gave 3 generations downs compensations. I say 3 generations, because on Fort Hood, if you were to kill a cow, you have to pay for that cow, and 3 generations of said cows descendants.

Now if he was the one to find the cure, experimented on himself, then he has every rights to tell everyone to **** up.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2020 05:45 PM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Profit implies a business is being run if you are talking about profit from a business perspective.

From an indivudal perspedtive and the more loosely used definition of "profit", meaning, 'Should Bob be compensated for his time and blood?', yes, Bob should profit.

Should Bob higher a team of lawyers, start an LLC, have all dealings with him and his blood be handled through that team of lawyers, get a business Tax ID, business license if needed, file taxes, offer shares (private), and allow people to invest and benefit from his blood?

No. Bob should not do this. Can Bob do this? Yes, under the current system in the US, Bob can do this.

Hire*

Old Post Mar 25th, 2020 06:09 PM
dadudemon

What about people/the public who would counter with "How can you accept money for what you can give to the world? How are you able to make money when you can be a good human and let it be given to the world without you making even one dollar from sick people?"

And some have done that.

Your exact scenario exists.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/11/heal...trnd/index.html

James Harrison is a saint and saved so so many babies' lives. All donated.

But I still think someone like Bob should be compensated for their time and blood. Something extra that we can give him. I would start a go-fund-me for this Bob character just so he could get paid for saving lives.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2020 06:12 PM
cdtm

I'd reply: "I will donate to the world, as soon as the medical industry does"

It's nice and all that people donate their blood to the Red Cross, but isn't there an entire industry chain that makes big bucks off of getting that blood to needed recipients?

Yeah, there's expenses involved in taking it, testing it, holding it, administering it ect, but lets not pretend they're only recovering costs. Far from it.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2020 06:18 PM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Re: A hypothetical debate about cures and vaccines

No.

Can Bob patent the cure?

Yes.

Should he be allowed to?

Yes.

Is this ethical?

Yes. Society is only interested in restricting liberty to limit harm. Altruism, while a great kindness, is not a requirement. Compelled goodness is not goodness at all.

Where does capitalism have a line drawn in the sand?

Where the people in a given society decide.

Can Bob be government ordered to not do what he wished with his own body?

No.

Is this similar with women who want an abortion but are told that they're not allowed to?

Yes. Government cannot force one to use his life to sustain the life of another. That is true whether it is gestating a fetus, or donating blood, tissues, or organs.

Even if the price weren't astronomically high, can or should a cure for a global virus be sold or charged?

In life, you can pay on the front end, or you can pay on the back end, but one way or another, you are going to pay.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2020 10:33 PM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

Let's present a hypothetical scenario in this time of pandemic and fear because of a viral outbreak.

Let's introduce Bob.

Bob is a law abiding, good natured, forty year old white male.

Bob volunteers to be a human experiment for the COVID-19 study and let's himself be injected with said virus and his blood studied.

As it turns out, Bob's blood is THE cure for COVID-19. This man's blood will save millions and be the doorway to a new era of cures and vaccines.

Bob is also a capitalist. Bob wants his blood to be bought and sold so that he can make a profit.

Public outcry emerges. People are enraged and hostile. News media covers the case at hand.

People tell Bob that Jonas Salk, the man who invented the vaccine for polio, was asked "Who owns this patent?", and Salk replied, "Well, the people I would say. There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?"

Bob says "I am not Salk nor the Sun. I want to make money from my blood that is the cure."

Martin Shkreli, the man who charged $750 for the Daraprim pill, was labeled as "the most hated man in America" because of his business ideals, but was still within his legal rights.

Can Bob patent the cure? Should he be allowed to? Is this ethical? Where does capitalism have a line drawn in the sand?

Can Bob be government ordered to not do what he wished with his own body? Is this similar with women who want an abortion but are told that they're not allowed to?

What is your overall opinion? Even if the price weren't astronomically high, can or should a cure for a global virus be sold or charged?
This boils down to a moral and ethical question. In the hypothetical, if Bob was blackmailing the world for payment or he wouldn't donate his blood, then I think that is wrong.

I think it would be fair for Bob to be compensated for his time and risk to his health. I also think Bob would be wealthy regardless of direct compensation from the cure due to media coverage, book deals, interviews, etc.

In the USA, I don't think Bob could be forced into anything for free, or otherwise, per the 4th, 5th and 9th Amendment. The US Government would have to declare a national emergency or maybe invoke eminent domain to forcefully hold Bob or take his property.

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Mar 25th, 2020 11:25 PM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marcssands14

This would be better if it was posted on debate.org or pollster

Old Post Jul 28th, 2020 11:50 PM
marcssands14 is currently offline Click here to Send marcssands14 a Private Message Find more posts by marcssands14 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

Bob in op needs to be renamed Rob

It works better like that

Old Post Jul 28th, 2020 11:59 PM
BrolyBlack is currently offline Click here to Send BrolyBlack a Private Message Find more posts by BrolyBlack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scribble

As far as profit?

From a business perspective, no, Bob should not profit.

From an individual perspective, Bob should be compensated by the Federal Government for his R&D and time. $350K a year, with a minimum of $350k being paid out, sounds fair. And he should get a guarantee that he can keep his job when he gets his blood taken ever 3 days.
Killing it, DDM. I spent a while considering an answer until I just looked down and saw this. This is the thing, tbh.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2020 12:12 AM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote