KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Transportation Times

Transportation Times
Started by: Zentrex

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zentrex
Hi!

Transportation Times

How long does it take to get from one place to another in the star wars universe, with Lightspeed travel being a factor? Would you ever have to just sit in one place for hours when traveling somewhere far away, or is that a forgotten and archaic concept in this universe?
Maybe if you're traveling to a different place in the same planet, but then there's speeders and things that can fly, so there probably wouldn't be too much traffic.
How fast would airplanes be? As fast as ours? Faster? Fast enough to break out of atmosphere if they wanted?

And how would you like Hyperspace travel? Could you go on a "drive" in space? In Hyperspace? Would you? Are there examples of people who loved or hated hyperspace travel?

And the Roleplaying Game also gave some creative descriptions of how weird it can get. Some people went insane looking at Hyperspace too long. That would be a nightmare if you only had an X-wing to travel in.

I guess most people just stay inside playing HoloChess or Sabacc or surfing the HoloNet or something. It's always fascinated me, though, I guess because I've always liked going on long drives in real life. Wonder if that would even be possible in a world like Star Wars. Like, you wouldn't be able to listen to your favorite Podcast on your way to work, would you? Maybe if you're a cargo deliverer or something. I guess that would be a droid's job, though. Though we do have human smugglers.

What do you guys think?

Old Post Mar 26th, 2020 10:41 PM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

You are lucky, in my bedroom I have this map of the Star Wars Galaxy, and in a corner there is also the time it takes to reach some planets. Let me know if the size is too small

Attachment: bf26c087-7eca-482d-9259-7d1d30d55838.jpeg
This has been downloaded 0 time(s).

Last edited by Total Warrior on Mar 27th, 2020 at 08:14 AM

Old Post Mar 27th, 2020 08:12 AM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Sorry if the image is a bit blurry, but if I make too big it doesn’t allow me to load it, and I’m on my phone right now. I’ll see if I can make a bit larger so that the names of planets are less blurry

Old Post Mar 27th, 2020 08:16 AM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Oh right, I forgot to mention. It’s obviously written in Italian, so G=Giorno (Day), H=Hora (hour) like in English. So you see something like 2G 3H, it means It takes 2 days and 3 hours to get to that planet

Old Post Mar 27th, 2020 08:18 AM
Zentrex
Hi!

Thanks so much!!! I love it! rolling on floor laughing

So, any thoughts on how you'd like travel? Anything else mentioned in the OP?

Old Post Mar 27th, 2020 09:10 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Well, I guess airplanes and vehicles in general would be much faster. I wouldn't mind hyperspace, I think, since as you said, you can do a lot of stuff in the meantime and space ships can pretty much get to the destination on their own. Who knows if we could reach this level of technology in real life too sometimes in the next centuries/milleniums

Old Post Mar 27th, 2020 09:23 AM
The Merchant

Hyperdrive is very fast, you can get to the core worlds all the way to the outer rim in a day or 2. I'm unsure about the rest of the questions like if people hated or liked it.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Mar 27th, 2020 09:38 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

Cool, cool.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2020 09:41 AM
Zentrex
Hi!

So, to prevent hyperspace madness, do you think X-wings and TIE fighters have a built in window blocker or something? It just turns the windows black? Or covers them up?

Maybe you could wear something like an oculus while inside, to keep you entertained? Ooh, like those mind evaporators from the Holiday Special! Could you imagine Luke playing beatsaber on his way to Dagobah?

Or maybe they'd want to save energy, so there'd be things to fidget around. It would explain the excess of buttons.

I really liked the idea that Lando just records himself in Solo. I imagine that's probably a pretty good passtime if you have to stay in hyperspace for several hours. It's unfortunate there's not much scenery, that's usually the best part of drives and stuff. Hyperspace does look pretty cool, though.

Do you think the ship hums when you're in it, like a car? It's such a cozy sound, if it didn't occur naturally, I would design my ship so it did.

You think they have kitchens on board those ships? What do you think Chewbacca's cooking tastes like? It's kinda funny imagining Han and Chewie eating like, spaghetti, or space spaghetti or whatever while in that cockpit. Listening to some jizz.

Anybody here ever think about stuff like this? I just love imagining what it would be like to live in that world.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2020 08:43 AM