KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » X-Men » Hickman's X-Men

Hickman's X-Men
Started by: StyleTime

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

quote: (post)
Originally posted by StyleTime
Possibly. Maybe that's the difference though: Mystique can be made to cooperate. She does legitimately care for Destiny. Sabretooth has no such attachments.

Magneto highlighted Sabes inability to follow basic mission instructions when he voted against him. Apoc agreed lol. Mystique, for all her flaws, does her job, although not "handling" the Nimrod situation was deceitful AF. I feel like Mystique is more selfish than psycho. Still bad, but can be contained at least.

Sabretooth is shit right in front of you.

Mystique is the same shit, but covered in expensive wrapping.

That's the only difference between them, Style.

As for her bond with Destiny? I don't believe it would withstand the real tests. Mystique never faces challenges, she runs from them.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2020 09:55 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

The Empyre issue of X-Men(#11) was surprisingly well done. Humorous exchange with Magneto and the Cuckoos too.
https://postimg.cc/SncPm4w9

The actual Empyre: X-Men tie-in mini was neat too. The Explodey Boy thing was gold. I've never gotten attached to a zombie before but well done lol. I was sad at the end scene.

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Sabretooth is shit right in front of you.

Mystique is the same shit, but covered in expensive wrapping.

That's the only difference between them, Style.

As for her bond with Destiny? I don't believe it would withstand the real tests. Mystique never faces challenges, she runs from them.

I'd have to disagree. You seem to think I'm defending her character: I'm not. It goes back to what I said earlier: She's no different than the rest of the folks on the Quiet Council with questionable pasts. Or the others on Krakoa in general. Sebastian personally funded sentinel production ffs. Emma has her shit. Selene. Mutant Liberation Front. Apocalypse. Lady Mastermind. Shinobi Shaw. Sinister. Nanny and Orphan-Maker. Magneto's done things, including killing an actual X-Kid. The island is full of them.

Krakoa was the new start. Everyone got a chance to unite under Xavier's unified mutant banner, provided they fall in line. So far, everyone has...except Sabretooth. He's the one who decided to risk an important mission and disobey orders. Not Toad. Not Mystique. They did their jobs as asked, and continue doing so.

Once he blew his chance, they tossed him. I don't really see it the same at all tbh.

My issue was moreso the ****ed up they treat her personally, especially considering the folks they happily chill out with now. As far as redeeming traits, she got as much as any of the "bad" mutants. She does love Destiny, and can commit to the team if needed: she was put on death's door saving Forge's life, for example.

Last edited by StyleTime on Oct 1st, 2020 at 08:23 PM

Old Post Oct 1st, 2020 08:10 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

I just can't imagine Raven living anything close to a normal life... especially with her history of homicidal tendencies, mental ilness and that weird addiction to betraying anyone around her, even when it doesn't really fit her goals.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2020 04:03 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
I just can't imagine Raven living anything close to a normal life... especially with her history of homicidal tendencies, mental ilness and that weird addiction to betraying anyone around her, even when it doesn't really fit her goals.

W. those qualities she could be an aspiring actress in L.A.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2020 05:38 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

Old Post Oct 18th, 2020 10:55 PM
StyleTime

So, thoughts on X of Swords?

I didn't think it was the worst event ever, but I didn't really hit the mark. I don't think these crossovers running through multiple titles with multiple writers often work very well. Right off the bat, we get tonal inconsistencies that take me out of the story. Not to mention quality shifts. I think it would be better if there was one main title, written by Hickman. Have the other titles be about those teams' actions during the event, but minus their missing member(s). Only 10 folks were actually chosen, so it would be fine if they disappeared for a while into a Hickman written maxi-series.

As for the actual story, I feel like we got two potentially good plotlines crammed into one so-so event. I actually liked Saturnyne's petty and utterly arbitrary contests just reform the Captain Britain Corps. And watching her throw a b1tch fit because she wants to bang Brian but Betsy is her only option was hilarious. I just wonder if it would work better as a dedicated, almost absurdist mind**** of a story where she trolls everyone with her ridiculous games until figure out some way through it all. When it happens alongside the Apocalypse story, it just made the whole Krakoa/Arakko war so hard to take seriously. I found myself not giving AF during the battle, and it was the climax of the event.

I do like that Apocalypse's personal arc finally move forward though. He was preparing them for a coming war, and the war occurred. He finally moved on from the one-note villain he was all those years. Good stuff there at least. I still think Remender Archangel made a better Apocalypse, but En Sabah Nur grew a lot here. thumb up

Last edited by StyleTime on Dec 13th, 2020 at 05:37 AM

Old Post Dec 13th, 2020 05:23 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Oh, and of course, I loved the character moment from Cyclops. This is probably the best example of how you make Cyclops the "third" option against Magneto or Xavier, which Marvel spent the last decade trying to do.

https://postimg.cc/wtH39SZc
https://postimg.cc/LY8X1jHJ
https://postimg.cc/zLjvvx1m

Mags and Xavier can keep their little abstractions and ideological battles. Cyclops is here to be a ****ing hero. thumb up

Last edited by StyleTime on Dec 13th, 2020 at 05:31 AM

Old Post Dec 13th, 2020 05:28 AM
StyleTime

Oh, and while I'm rambling, I might as well mention something I noticed with the former teen mutants. It was really prominent in this event, but is noticeable throughout all the series. Magik, Doug, Rahne, etc---

--Are their ages changing back and forth? One issue, they feel like mid-twenty somethings, but they change to 13 year olds who go "teehee" at the idea of kissing someone in the next. I can't totally get a handle on it. Maybe it's just me though.

Last edited by StyleTime on Dec 13th, 2020 at 06:36 AM

Old Post Dec 13th, 2020 06:32 AM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Please stop bribing X-writers.

I blame you for the [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Gurl Powah vs. Sebastian Shaw scene

Old Post Dec 14th, 2020 03:16 AM
StyleTime

Too late. I've already arranged for Storm to destroy Knull alone. She was just too afraid of hurting everyone to cut loose last issue.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2020 05:24 PM
StyleTime

So, Hickman is handing X-Men over to Gerry Duggan. Tini Howard will be on X-Corp. Simon Spurrier and Leah Williams on new titles.

I genuinely dislike this. Hickman's X-Men was just getting going, and most of the other titles aren't good. I definitely didn't want to see Tini on X-Corp, and Spurrier, Leah, and Gerry.... just goddamnit. I don't want to be so negative about it, but holy **** I was kinda hoping we'd get other writers. None of their X-books have been good, other than Hickman.

(please log in to view the image)

Last edited by StyleTime on Apr 13th, 2021 at 02:26 AM

Old Post Apr 13th, 2021 02:15 AM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

He's still gonna write one title, right? Looking at that pic.

Hickman is NOT someone who can execute his "grand plans" right to the end.

Old Post Apr 13th, 2021 03:22 AM
StyleTime

Yeah, he'll be on whatever that new title is.

I assume it will pick up from Cyclops/Jean separating from the Quiet Council, and starting the official X-Men team.

Maybe this will be the new Uncanny? I just REALLY hope we get to continue what Hickman's plans are, with Hickman actually being the one to do them. I was enjoying it and there's 8 million threads we need to see play out. I really don't get why he'd be off the flagship title, unless they're planning to make the new title the "main" book.

Either way, let's hope it's not being left to Tini and Duggan and such...

Last edited by StyleTime on Apr 13th, 2021 at 04:46 AM

Old Post Apr 13th, 2021 04:43 AM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

I just REALLY hope we get to continue what Hickman's plans are, with Hickman actually being the one to do them.

I see what you're saying, but we both know it's hard to execute such plans in the mainstream continuity.

Even if Marvel's editorial staff agrees, sooner or later there will be a new creative team... often forgetting/ignoring/retconning the work of previous writers.

In my opinion, you were putting way too much faith in Hickman. He is overrated and half-measure.

But.

It's not over yet, so hopefully he will get a chance to prove me wrong.

Old Post Apr 13th, 2021 04:51 AM
StyleTime

Well, we disagree on Hickman, but maybe I'm overreacting. He is still at the reigns to my understanding, so this shouldn't go too far of course. Let's just hope it doesn't turn out like Warren Ellis Wildstorm reboot. Started out great, then the whole reboot gets put on hiatus and still hasn't come out 5 years later.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2021 06:56 AM
StyleTime

As for the current run,

I'm especially liking the recent turns of events, now that the Children of the Vault arc moved forward. It seems like sending Darwin worked against them, as the third generation Children wouldn't have been enough to kill the mutants since they're all banded together on Krakoa. The Vault captured Darwin and used his powers to make a 4th generation possible. The mutants basically just doomed themselves by even bothering to investigate.

X-23 got a great healing feat though.
https://postimg.cc/2bVqswb5
https://postimg.cc/LgPJX8VK
https://postimg.cc/ftp3D9mf
https://postimg.cc/kDR6wTP1

And the Krakoan revival protocols have resulted in some folks getting a power boost, as Synch can now copy anyone's powers. Not just mutants. Nice to see him getting used.

Interesting story too, since X-23, Synch, and Darwin were trapped in there for over a century. I'm glad that didn't get glossed over. Time moves differently in the Vault.

Darwin was atomized and reconfigured 10,278 times after being captured. sad

Last edited by StyleTime on Apr 14th, 2021 at 07:04 AM

Old Post Apr 14th, 2021 06:57 AM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Laura's skeleton boobs are even bigger thumb up

Old Post Apr 15th, 2021 05:41 AM
StyleTime

It is kinda funny, huh?

Walking around despite literally being skeleton. Her clothing still has boob imprints. Mask completely undamaged.

It reminds me of the scan srank posted, where Wolverine climbed out of a vault of acid as a complete skeleton.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2021 08:29 PM
dyajeep

Oh, and of course, I loved the character moment from Cyclops. This is probably the best example of how you make Cyclops the "third" option against Magneto or Xavier, which Marvel spent the last decade trying to do.

https://postimg.cc/wtH39SZc
https://postimg.cc/LY8X1jHJ
https://postimg.cc/zLjvvx1m

Mags and Xavier can keep their little abstractions and ideological battles. Cyclops is here to be a ****ing hero. thumb up

i'm loving Hickman's X-Men except for these 2 things:

- how is Scott okay with Logan and Jean? this is stupid... we've had a soft reboot and instead of keeping Logan away from Scott and Jean, Hickman even made them a throuple, for f*ck's sake

- we've seen disgusting moments of Jean and Logan but we've never seen Scott and Emma yet, this is my saving grace

Old Post Jul 4th, 2021 10:57 AM
dyajeep is currently offline Click here to Send dyajeep a Private Message Find more posts by dyajeep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

I prefer the open relationship to the old love triangle to be honest. Maybe they've just developed beyond their old notions of what their relationship should look like. There's no reason they have to be monogamous, if it doesn't suit them.

That said, I just think Scott and Jean should have stayed separated. Morrison did a really good job showing them grow apart romantically, and I don't like that being discarded. Jean and Wolverine feel much more organic as a couple too. While X-Force isn't the greatest series, their conversations feel more authentic and both characters are themselves around each other. Neither really becomes background noise to the other.

Jean with Scott just feels almost...performative at this point, like "wife" and "husband" are just positions they play on a sports team. Honestly, I'd rather Emma be with Scott as they just work better.

I wouldn't mind Jean just being single either.

Last edited by StyleTime on Jul 7th, 2021 at 12:08 AM

Old Post Jul 6th, 2021 11:59 PM