KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » X-Men » Hickman's X-Men

Hickman's X-Men
Started by: StyleTime

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
StyleTime

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cdtm
S.W.O.R.D. mini probably had the best iteration of Beast and Abigail Brand ever.

A shame that couldn't have become the standard. Made a cute couple too.

It wasn't quite a mini. It was just cancelled early due to low sales.

Also, it was trash. thumb up

As for Hickman, it's the best main-series run we've had since Morrison(Maybe since Whedon, depending on your preferences) tbh. The problem is, it's only the actual portion written by him. The "world", meaning the sidebooks, are mostly not good. Hellions was solid, but Zeb is leaving to write Spiderman now. And it seems like Marvel has delayed Hickman's plans, so we're getting this run in a really spread out fashion, which screws up things. We're not even sure if/when he's coming back after Inferno wraps up.

I do agree his characterizations are off for certain characters though. Good writers fail to even write 5 person X-Teams, while Hickman has juggled a cast spanning nearly all corners of the X-verse pretty well.

I definitely have my criticisms too, but I just think the overall writing is a damn sight better than us X-Fans have gotten in a loooooooong time.

Last edited by StyleTime on Nov 13th, 2021 at 06:56 PM

Old Post Nov 13th, 2021 06:41 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by -Pr-
That and some god-awful characterization.

Hickman started as an obscure Ultimate Universe writer.

I don't really get how he managed to get promoted so high.

He's not terrible, no, but he is overrated.

Best example is his Secret Wars. Doesn't hold a candle to the Shooter's Secret Wars, despite some great scenes (Thanos getting what he deserves).

Old Post Nov 13th, 2021 10:47 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by StyleTime
It wasn't quite a mini. It was just cancelled early due to low sales.

Also, it was trash. thumb up

As for Hickman, it's the best main-series run we've had since Morrison(Maybe since Whedon, depending on your preferences) tbh. The problem is, it's only the actual portion written by him. The "world", meaning the sidebooks, are mostly not good. Hellions was solid, but Zeb is leaving to write Spiderman now. And it seems like Marvel has delayed Hickman's plans, so we're getting this run in a really spread out fashion, which screws up things. We're not even sure if/when he's coming back after Inferno wraps up.

I do agree his characterizations are off for certain characters though. Good writers fail to even write 5 person X-Teams, while Hickman has juggled a cast spanning nearly all corners of the X-verse pretty well.

I definitely have my criticisms too, but I just think the overall writing is a damn sight better than us X-Fans have gotten in a loooooooong time.

(please log in to view the image)

Deaths Head alone made it gold.

And it was a huge miss that he wasn't cribbed into the Transformers/Avengers crossover.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2021 11:09 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

You're the only guy who remembers and cares for Death's Head, lol.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2021 11:33 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
You're the only guy who remembers and cares for Death's Head, lol.

Pretty sure Pr and one of the Canadian's are fans (K-M?) Which would make him far more popular on KMC than The Transformers.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2021 11:39 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Yeah, no.

Show me either of these posters discussing Death's Head.

You're thinking of Digi, who gave me thumbs up for kicking you out of fb chat and left KMC years ago.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2021 12:21 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Hickman started as an obscure Ultimate Universe writer.

I don't really get how he managed to get promoted so high.

He's not terrible, no, but he is overrated.

Best example is his Secret Wars. Doesn't hold a candle to the Shooter's Secret Wars, despite some great scenes (Thanos getting what he deserves).

He's one of the few writers that can think big and actually carry it through. He's like Scott Snyder without the crushing inadequacy. He's a great ideas man, and with the proper cast of characters, like in FF, he can put out some good stuff.

His X-Men has an interesting premise, and you can tell he really sat down and tried to plot it all out. The problem, (and this was evident in the Avengers run too) is that he gets carried away, and can't rein himself in. Nor does he adapt his story to the characters as he's writing it. For better or worse, the plot is the plot and the characters don't really matter. Not really.

He hasn't had a great character moment in his runs since the FF run.

At least, that's my broken-record opinion of him.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Nov 14th, 2021 12:32 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Good post. Agreed.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2021 07:59 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Good post. Agreed.

thumb up thanks.

The best/funniest part of his runs, imo, was turning Beast into a massive hypocrite. Remember all the shit he gave Cyclops, and then he went and did that with the illuminati.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Nov 14th, 2021 08:11 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Yes. I remember.

Did it happen under Hickman's pen? Or was it Benjamin Percy?

You could argue Hickman is supposed to be the overseer, but in practice neither Marvel nor DC controls their writers.

I think it's a good decision, though. Hank is not a saint and he does tend to go crazy every once in a while. This is just another example. Consistent with his character.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2021 08:27 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Yes. I remember.

Did it happen under Hickman's pen? Or was it Benjamin Percy?

You could argue Hickman is supposed to be the overseer, but in practice neither Marvel nor DC controls their writers.

I think it's a good decision, though. Hank is not a saint and he does tend to go crazy every once in a while. This is just another example. Consistent with his character.

I don't remember which, just that it amused me.

laughing out loud Damn. Genius has its drawbacks I guess.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Nov 15th, 2021 11:43 AM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Hank can be very selfish.

"I was tortured, Scott! I was tortured!" (Utopia era)

or

"I need the cure! I need it! I want my life back!" (Astonishing)

or... you know...

Old Post Nov 15th, 2021 10:00 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

But the worst thing McCoy has done was teaming up with Dark Beast, in order to find the way to reverse M-Day effects... and he even tried to work with worse villains than him.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2021 10:22 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Old Post Nov 15th, 2021 10:33 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

When you're right, you're right.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Nov 16th, 2021 09:58 PM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Hank can be very selfish.

"I was tortured, Scott! I was tortured!" (Utopia era)

or

"I need the cure! I need it! I want my life back!" (Astonishing)

or... you know...

The art makes this look very old. Is it from a modern comic?

Just how long has Beast been a douche, instead of the Bill Nye the Science Guy I remember from the animated series?

Old Post Nov 17th, 2021 03:37 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Its... early 70s iirc.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Nov 18th, 2021 12:56 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

@Todd

"Is it from a modern comic"

By the White Wolf, just when nobody believed you could outcdtm yourself, you just did.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2021 06:06 PM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

@Todd

"Is it from a modern comic"

By the White Wolf, just when nobody believed you could outcdtm yourself, you just did.

I mean, with the callbacks Morrison style you never can tell. smile

Old Post Nov 24th, 2021 03:47 PM
StyleTime

But the worst thing McCoy has done was teaming up with Dark Beast, in order to find the way to reverse M-Day effects... and he even tried to work with worse villains than him.

The worst thing Beast did was bring the young O5 to the present, jumping off the era where we re-opened already resolved plot lines from 1960's X-Men (literally) about whether Jean will date Angel or Cyclops.

But, you know, young Hank learned magic at least.

Fine literature right there. thumb up

Last edited by StyleTime on Nov 25th, 2021 at 01:17 PM

Old Post Nov 25th, 2021 01:13 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote