KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Mortal Kombat 2021

Mortal Kombat 2021
Started by: KingAdzJ

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (16): « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 15 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Robtard
Senor Member

This film was awful.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Apr 27th, 2021 04:04 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
0mega Spawn
TheWarmestSun

Once again Hollywood delievers a martial arts action film where the fight choregraphy is HORRENDEOUS.
I wonder whats so damn hard about fight choreo.

My Reality Is Your Imagination.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2021 05:12 PM
0mega Spawn is currently offline Click here to Send 0mega Spawn a Private Message Find more posts by 0mega Spawn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Newjak

I think if this series gets an extra 10-15 million per movie you'll notice many of the problems of this one fall off a little bit.

Interesting theory, but it really didn't seem like budget problems to me. It seemed like generic writing, direction, acting, and scoring. And most of that falls on the director. (Or the studio if they meddled too much.) But there's also the issue of having too many damn characters to flesh them out appropriately.

Shang Tsung was such a dull fu#king villain performance. Especially compared to the original MK. I mean he was a tough act to follow, but they didn't even try.

But I agree that Kano's personality redeemed the film about as much as was possible.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2021 08:54 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ShadowFyre

Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
Once again Hollywood delievers a martial arts action film where the fight choregraphy is HORRENDEOUS.
I wonder whats so damn hard about fight choreo.

My assumption is simply to many chiefs not enough Indians. They probably get pressure from making it brutal and realistic and want it to be flashier and do stuff that would get the shit beat out of you in real life. Spinny, flippy, flashy moves that wouldn't work in real life.

Last edited by ShadowFyre on Apr 27th, 2021 at 09:25 PM

Old Post Apr 27th, 2021 09:21 PM
ShadowFyre is currently offline Click here to Send ShadowFyre a Private Message Find more posts by ShadowFyre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Put me off even more Rob

Last Edited by Blakemore on Jan 1st, 2000, at 00:00 AM

Old Post Apr 27th, 2021 09:46 PM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Interesting theory, but it really didn't seem like budget problems to me. It seemed like generic writing, direction, acting, and scoring. And most of that falls on the director. (Or the studio if they meddled too much.) But there's also the issue of having too many damn characters to flesh them out appropriately.

Shang Tsung was such a dull fu#king villain performance. Especially compared to the original MK. I mean he was a tough act to follow, but they didn't even try.

But I agree that Kano's personality redeemed the film about as much as was possible.
Well more money gives you better writers or more time for script rewrites. You can pad the time to flush out more characters. It allows the director to take more shots and retakes to get the best performance from your actors.

My take away is that the Sub-Zero and Scorpion sub plot was handled well enough that the crew had the ability to do good work but perhaps they just didn't have the budget to be consistent especially in such an effects heavy movie like Mortal Kombat

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Apr 28th, 2021 02:45 AM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Hm.. unless I hear that there was a super rushed schedule and problems behind the scenes I'm not inclined to think a slightly bigger budget would have helped the mediocrity. Took em 25 or so years to do a reboot and they rushed it? I'm not buying it.

More than likely the director (who to the best of my knowledge is pretty unknown) just has mediocre vision influenced by the heavy prevalence of comic book movies. This honestly just felt like a bland comic book movie with blood and violence.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2021 03:44 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

As I said some pages back in reaction to first seeing this film, found out that the director Simon McQuaid actually had not previously directed a movie at all; only did PS4 commercials, which explained a lot.

Paul Anderson at least had one film under his belt before he did the original MK film. He may have later become a hack with Resident Evil and such, but this McQuaid started out as one.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2021 04:58 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Putting me off even more 😂

I mean at this point I just want to see it just to see how bad it is 😜😅

Last Edited by Blakemore on Jan 1st, 2000, at 00:00 AM

Last edited by Blakemore on Apr 28th, 2021 at 05:50 AM

Old Post Apr 28th, 2021 05:48 AM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Hm.. unless I hear that there was a super rushed schedule and problems behind the scenes I'm not inclined to think a slightly bigger budget would have helped the mediocrity. Took em 25 or so years to do a reboot and they rushed it? I'm not buying it.

More than likely the director (who to the best of my knowledge is pretty unknown) just has mediocre vision influenced by the heavy prevalence of comic book movies. This honestly just felt like a bland comic book movie with blood and violence.
When did I used the word rushed?

I think it's a pretty factual statement to say that when movie is given less money than what it probably needs to be successful in not surprised the.movie has flaws.

Like I spend 25 years designing the best car ever but if I'm only given half the budget I need to make it the quality of the car is going to suffer.

And once again not using to say the movie was good or that it excuses it. I just think if it gets that extra money in the sequels you'll see a better quality product most likely.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Apr 28th, 2021 01:53 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Blakemore
Put me off even more Rob

I've seen better film on teeth, than this garbage.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2021 06:05 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

This movie wasn't even worth free. I'd like my time back. no expression

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Apr 28th, 2021 10:21 PM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by ShadowFyre
My assumption is simply to many chiefs not enough Indians. They probably get pressure from making it brutal and realistic and want it to be flashier and do stuff that would get the shit beat out of you in real life. Spinny, flippy, flashy moves that wouldn't work in real life.

Pretty much how I see it too.

Imagine Escape from New York gets made without John Carpenter.

The thing of it is, once upon a time creative people could actually persuade upper management that their vision is a good one. I bet you the current crop of managers simply look at spreadsheets and nothing else. Weave a good story, get asked how this makes them money.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2021 10:31 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

I think it's a pretty factual statement to say that when movie is given less money than what it probably needs to be successful in not surprised the.movie has flaws.

Like I spend 25 years designing the best car ever but if I'm only given half the budget I need to make it the quality of the car is going to suffer.

And once again not using to say the movie was good or that it excuses it. I just think if it gets that extra money in the sequels you'll see a better quality product most likely.

A good script has nothing to do with the amount money you are given.

There are great movies out there with low budget.

Case in point
Mk2021 had a 55 million budget vs Deadpool with a 58 million budget. Deadpool’s script was far more superior.

John Wick with a 48 million budget had a better script.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2021 10:32 PM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

You may not have used the word, but you heavily implied it...

- Scenes that definitely needed more takes
Well more money gives you better writers or more time for script rewrites. You can pad the time to flush out more characters. It allows the director to take more shots and retakes to get the best performance from your actors.

Budget was not the problem with this film. It actually looked more expensive than it was. Mediocre writing and bland performances were the main problems.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2021 10:40 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Not sure why people are surprised this film is pure ass, dirty ass. It's a live-action film based on a video game, that right there is a bad start.

Think of all the live-action filma based on video games, a very small handful are decent.

Doom (2005) might be the best one and it's not a great film to begin with. Fun, but not great.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2021 11:13 PM
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

You may not have used the word, but you heavily implied it...

Budget was not the problem with this film. It actually looked more expensive than it was. Mediocre writing and bland performances were the main problems.
That seems like a stretch to say I implied it was a rushed job :/

And say it with me. More money equals better writers, more chances to reshoot bland scenes, and hiring better actors :/

@Sqaulx

Actually good scripts do cost money. Maybe not good concepts but to hammer out all the story flow into a cinematic experience does cost money.

I also already mentioned deadpool. It actually has like a 10 million more dollar budget when adjusted for inflation. It also had a leading man in Ryan Reynolds pushing it forward.

John Wick one was made in 2014. When adjusted for inflation that still puts it over this movie.

Also this compared to John Wick 1 is a much more intensive special effects film with all the super powers. To pretend budget doesn't matter is kind of asinine.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Apr 28th, 2021 11:32 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I don't think money would have helped this movie much. They didn't even bother having a tournament. Weird decision.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2021 11:35 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

I watched this at work last night on the night shift.

👎🏻👎🏻

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Apr 28th, 2021 11:49 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Could’ve been better but it was about what I expected definitely wouldn’t be made a few decisions they did.

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post May 2nd, 2021 12:06 AM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote