KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Nintendo should just make a powerful console.

Nintendo should just make a powerful console.
Started by: VG_Addict

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Arachnid1

Re: Re: Nintendo should just make a powerful console.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ares834
They don't want or need third party support. Nintendo has been most successful when doing their own thing like with the Wii and Switch. The one time they directly competed with Microsoft and Sony was with the Gamecube (which was the most powerful console at the time) and they got creamed.
Agreed. I want them to stay in their niche and keep pumping out fantastic games. I have no interest in playing Battlefield on my Switch. I have my PS4, Xbox, and PC for that. Give me a new Fire Emblem game instead.

PWNT

Old Post Apr 19th, 2020 05:45 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Well, the topic kinda changed. My stance is the same on Nintendo's console "power", but I agree with Smas that digital distribution is the future. Not just for games, but most things: books, music, movies, etc. We most recently saw this when digital comics became a thing. People would rave about how great having the physical collection is or whatever, myself included, then you realize it really serves no purpose. I had to move and just had long boxes I couldn't do shit with. I sold them and switched to digital, and it's just blatantly the superior option.

Same thing with physical copies of games. Most advantages they hold, like re-selling, won't be around much longer. At least not as a major practice.
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Because it'd be neutering half the fans of gaming in general, I don't think I've ever met someone without at least 1 physical game in their collection.

Maybe you disagree but I think it's different then the whole Netflix-Blockbuster situation years ago.

You doubted the rise of mobile gaming too though. stick out tongue

I think Smas is right. The writing's on the wall for physical media in general. Just a matter of time.

Last edited by StyleTime on Apr 19th, 2020 at 09:26 PM

Old Post Apr 19th, 2020 09:15 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Maybe it's time to buy genuine Atari 2600.

Only half joking. Online just isn't as reliable as physical media. Remember that story of Kindle ebooks being remotely erased off of devices because of copyrights issues? That kind of thing can never happen with a book.

Gaming is worse, even the Xbox 360 kept from from gaming a few times because of some odd profile login problems. My Steam and Epic accounts had days with downed internet, no games there.

Meanwhile, pop in a PS2 DVD and just play.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2020 09:29 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Yeah, gotta love DRM.

And physical helps preserve certain things we would otherwise lose; certain games never re-released digitally or anything because of being stuck in copyright hell (i.e. Goldeneye) or the company/publisher of said games no longer being around... Is why piracy for games is unfortunately needed to an extent, because we would have a lot of games that would just otherwise be lost to time.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2020 09:43 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Reliable? That's a strange reason.

I am not sure what story you are referencing but if its the Orwell's 1984 copyright issue than you have completely wrong.

A company uploaded an illegal copy of the 1984. Amazon found out and remove it because it was illegal. And then...refunded the purchase to anybody who bought it.

No difference if it was found you bought an illegal copy of physical copy of a book.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2020 09:49 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by Smasandian
Reliable? That's a strange reason.

I am not sure what story you are referencing but if its the Orwell's 1984 copyright issue than you have completely wrong.

A company uploaded an illegal copy of the 1984. Amazon found out and remove it because it was illegal. And then...refunded the purchase to anybody who bought it.

No difference if it was found you bought an illegal copy of physical copy of a book.

That illegal copy was already on their device though.

"Illegal" copies of books gets sold and kept all the time. They become highly sought after collectibles.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2020 10:06 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Yeah, gotta love DRM.

And physical helps preserve certain things we would otherwise lose; certain games never re-released digitally or anything because of being stuck in copyright hell (i.e. Goldeneye) or the company/publisher of said games no longer being around... Is why piracy for games is unfortunately needed to an extent, because we would have a lot of games that would just otherwise be lost to time.

GTA games and their music lists are a good example. San Andreas just isn't the same without the full set.

That ties into a problem with hd remakes in general. Try looking up the differences between Devil May Cry on the PS2 and the various HD Collections. Those videos are why I abandoned the HD sets I bought and dusted off my PS2 copy.

Last edited by cdtm on Apr 19th, 2020 at 10:13 PM

Old Post Apr 19th, 2020 10:11 PM
StyleTime

Originally posted by cdtm
Maybe it's time to buy genuine Atari 2600.

Only half joking. Online just isn't as reliable as physical media. Remember that story of Kindle ebooks being remotely erased off of devices because of copyrights issues? That kind of thing can never happen with a book.

Gaming is worse, even the Xbox 360 kept from from gaming a few times because of some odd profile login problems. My Steam and Epic accounts had days with downed internet, no games there.

Meanwhile, pop in a PS2 DVD and just play.

No distribution method is flawless of course, but I still feel like we can't judge based on fringe scenarios. Your house could burn down and there goes all your physical copies. As a kid, my house was broken into and they took my entire game collection, among other things. Even aside from that, physical media can be damaged or lost. If your internet is down, just play offline games.

Regardless, I feel like I'd rather have the convenience of digital copies. Your purchases have digital records/receipts associated with your account, so replacing downloads isn't hard. I don't have to take anything with me if I travel either. Less stuff to deal with is always good.
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime

Fair, but that's strictly for a select few games of the past, like Einhander, when digital wasn't an option. I don't see that being necessary moving forward as digital becomes the default. Digital games won't risk being lost to time, for the most part.

Last edited by StyleTime on Apr 19th, 2020 at 10:37 PM

Old Post Apr 19th, 2020 10:31 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

You don't really own digital media though. You license it.

That means you can legally be deprived of it, or restricted from it.

The scenerios I mentioned are actually quite common among digital platforms. DRM is always a problem, and internet/data is unreliable.

Take the infamous Lizard Squad time out on Christmas.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2020 11:12 PM
Jmanghan

Re: Re: Re: Nintendo should just make a powerful console.

Originally posted by Arachnid1
Agreed. I want them to stay in their niche and keep pumping out fantastic games. I have no interest in playing Battlefield on my Switch. I have my PS4, Xbox, and PC for that. Give me a new Fire Emblem game instead.
They have more third-party support on Switch then they did on Gamecube objectively.

It's great you have no interest in playing games portably, but a lot of us do.

Sometimes people wanna enjoy a game without the hassle of having to sit down for 20 minutes then leave because they have work or plans. The Switch is convenient as hell, and I'm sorry but games look gorgeous on it.

Would they look better on PS4 and Xbone? Yes, and they do, but Breath of the Wild was one of the most beautiful games I've ever played regardless.

However, I do think they need to power-up a teensy bit to survive next-gen.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Apr 20th, 2020 03:02 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

That illegal copy was already on their device though.

"Illegal" copies of books gets sold and kept all the time. They become highly sought after collectibles.

Soo...it's an illegal copy of a book. They were not even supposed to sell it. As long as the buyers get refunded, that's fine.

If you buy stolen property and people find out..it will get taken away. Hell, in Canada, you can go to jail for it.

The point is moot because digital purchases are becoming the norm for most devices. It's already the norm for all PC purchases and becoming the same with consoles. Once Gamestop fails, it will most likely be the deciding factor because the used game market will completely dry up.

And...gaming subscriptions are becoming the norm as well. In 5 years, you will most likely see all three companies provide a gaming subscription service and it will probably be the most used.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2020 04:10 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

That's not how possession works. Once you buy something, it's yours.

This thing was popular in malls:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pow...r_Super_Joy_III

(please log in to view the image)

Totally illegal. No one was forced to return it.

Possession is 9/10's of the law. As long as an item isn't drugs, weapons, or involves minors, what you buy you can keep, regardless of copyright laws or legalities. That's the sellers problem. If anyone gets in legal trouble, it's the vendor, not the consumer.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2020 04:41 AM
StyleTime

These were literally the same arguments digital comic detractors used. Cycle repeats.
You don't really own digital media though. You license it.

That means you can legally be deprived of it, or restricted from it.

The scenerios I mentioned are actually quite common among digital platforms. DRM is always a problem, and internet/data is unreliable.

Take the infamous Lizard Squad time out on Christmas.

You only pay for access, but this, in practicality, affects nothing. Online games require internet, whether you own a physical copy or not. Offline games can be played offline in the digital version too. I don't see what's the problem here. I'd be interested in a legit discussion of improving DRM though, like what GOG is doing: it's Steam but truly DRM free.

We can't fabricate doomsday scenarios where we sstruggle to find internet time, our game licenses are all revoked at random, and we wait for illegal game discs in the mail to re-sell though. It's as realistic as me using the shipment delays caused by COVID-19 lockdown against physical media.

The reality is that digital games wouldn't perform so well if the internet was so unreliable. I mean, hell, we do our taxes and renew our licenses online nowadays. The world's getting increasingly virtual. If your connection goes out that often, you should contact your ISP for a quick service call my man. :up

That's not how possession works. Once you buy something, it's yours.

This thing was popular in malls:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pow...r_Super_Joy_III

(please log in to view the image)

Totally illegal. No one was forced to return it.

Possession is 9/10's of the law. As long as an item isn't drugs, weapons, or involves minors, what you buy you can keep, regardless of copyright laws or legalities. That's the sellers problem. If anyone gets in legal trouble, it's the vendor, not the consumer.

Like I said, fringe scenario. "Hope for illegally distributed game products to come your way" doesnt really work.

Last edited by StyleTime on Apr 20th, 2020 at 06:53 AM

Old Post Apr 20th, 2020 06:38 AM