KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » The Simpsons died 20 years ago today

The Simpsons died 20 years ago today
Started by: Ayelewis

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ayelewis

The Simpsons died 20 years ago today

The final nail in the coffin for The Simpsons was the episode "Kill the Alligator and Run" aired on 30th April 2000. Now, 20 years old, it signalled the diminishing quality of the show.

https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/No..._Worst_episodes

This episode was met with universally negative reception due to the plot of the main episode, and the Simpsons getting arrested multiple times and then banned in nearly all states. It is often cited as one of the worst episodes of the show. In 2006, Nohomers.net named this the worst episode in the history of the show. Some fans have asked for the events of this episode to be rendered non-canon.

One Redditor cites:

"Before today I had only seen bits of this episode. I always feared the day when I'd finally see it in full. Well, it happened. Since I'm currently watching the Season 11 boxset episodes, I decided to finally sit down and just watch it.

It. Is. Abominable.

I expected it to be bad, but not as bad as this. This episode is so inept that it left me frozen with disbelief. It's actually ten times worse than I feared. I had to stop the episode multiple times just to put my face in my hand. From the moment it starts to the moment it finally ends, there was not one funny joke, not one moment of joy, not one interesting line, not one memorable scene, not one aspect that engaged me. It's so devoid of anything of merit that it just feels like the writers took a bunch of unfinished scenes from unfinished episodes and smashed it together into a dead-on-arrival cake of failure. This is one of those that I can safely say is clearly non-canon.

I truly think this has to be the worst episode ever. It fails on every level. I'm sure that the majority of you guys agree, but if you happen to disagree, feel free to argue against my review of this episode."

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSimpson...nd_run_in_full/

What are your thoughts on the episode?

Old Post Apr 30th, 2020 02:24 PM
Ayelewis is currently offline Click here to Send Ayelewis a Private Message Find more posts by Ayelewis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

haha, i remember that ep!

I loved when they went all hillbilly and Bart was like...

https://tv.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/017...a0-e5e2566e89ab

...”teacher says I’m whittling at a 10th grade level”.

laughing

Old Post Apr 30th, 2020 03:03 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I loved the sheriffs bouncing hat. Overall I thought the episode was meh.

I think the Simpsons died with that one episode focusing on Seymour Skinner.

I'm sure we all know the one I mean. Two words as a hint: Armin Tamzarian

Last edited by Surtur on Apr 30th, 2020 at 05:01 PM

Old Post Apr 30th, 2020 04:59 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Will Hatch

Haha, I actually love that episode and find it hilarious. F.uck elitist fanboys trying to tell me what to think.

Old Post May 1st, 2020 06:40 AM
Dr Will Hatch is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Will Hatch a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Will Hatch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Or think at all!

D’oh

Old Post May 1st, 2020 08:43 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
Haha, I actually love that episode and find it hilarious. F.uck elitist fanboys trying to tell me what to think.

The spring break one or the principal skinner one?

Old Post May 1st, 2020 01:19 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

I didn’t much care for the Skinner one. I don’t hate it or anything it’s just kinda there.

Old Post May 1st, 2020 04:30 PM
Dr Will Hatch

Originally posted by Surtur
The spring break one or the principal skinner one?

The spring break one. I enjoy both though.

To be honest, I think that the meme that The Simpsons sucks now is a little overblown. It's not as good as it used to be, no, not by any means, but it's never become horrible. There are episodes of The Simpsons created within the last five years that I think are pretty decent.

Old Post May 1st, 2020 09:25 PM
Dr Will Hatch is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Will Hatch a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Will Hatch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

To be honest, I think that the meme that The Simpsons sucks now is a little overblown. It's not as good as it used to be, no, not by any means, but it's never become horrible. There are episodes of The Simpsons created within the last five years that I think are pretty decent.

Agreed.
I still enjoy watching this show. In contrast, i can barely sit through an ep. of Family Guy. That show is the skids, and has been, since about the time Cleveland left.
The Simpsons is still pretty much true to its original premise, and can be clever and poke fun at itself and is just plain fun still.

Old Post May 1st, 2020 10:09 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I can't speak for right now, but I do know there was a period of utter dog shit that turned a lot of long time fans off.

Old Post May 1st, 2020 10:43 PM
riv6672

Must have missed that.

Old Post May 2nd, 2020 01:17 AM
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ayelewis tried to deny he watched this Simpsons at once point.

Old Post May 18th, 2020 10:28 AM
BrolyBlack is currently offline Click here to Send BrolyBlack a Private Message Find more posts by BrolyBlack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
meep-meep
What are you angry about?

Exactly what Will Hatch said. Great post.

Old Post May 18th, 2020 11:22 AM
meep-meep is currently offline Click here to Send meep-meep a Private Message Find more posts by meep-meep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

Another terrible attempt by ayelewis.

I will never be a memory.

Old Post May 18th, 2020 12:33 PM
Eon Blue is currently offline Click here to Send Eon Blue a Private Message Find more posts by Eon Blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

laughing out loud

Old Post May 18th, 2020 11:45 PM
BrolyBlack is currently offline Click here to Send BrolyBlack a Private Message Find more posts by BrolyBlack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by riv6672
Agreed.
I still enjoy watching this show. In contrast, i can barely sit through an ep. of Family Guy. That show is the skids, and has been, since about the time Cleveland left.
The Simpsons is still pretty much true to its original premise, and can be clever and poke fun at itself and is just plain fun still.

Family Guy lost me after Brian's death and revival.

I actually liked the new dog.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post May 19th, 2020 01:07 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

It would’ve been a bolder move to leave Brian dead, that’s for sure!

I also can’t stand how they’ve nerfed Joe.
When he debuted he was a a huge alpha male, despite the wheelchair. Now he’s barely a man.

Old Post May 19th, 2020 08:58 AM