KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Kylo Ren Respect Thread

Kylo Ren Respect Thread
Started by: xPRIMEx

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
xPRIMEx

For some reason I thought it was the TLJ VD. My bad.

Anyways, based on that scaling off of ESB Luke and the GI, it’s not unreasonable to assume that he’s near Luke/Vader level.

Last edited by xPRIMEx on Jan 4th, 2021 at 12:30 AM

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 12:16 AM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dominis

quote: (post)
Originally posted by xPRIMEx
For some reason I thought it was the TLJ VD. My bad.

Anyways, based on that scaling off of ESB Luke and the GI, it’s not unreasonable to assume that he’s near Luke/Vader level.

As of ROS, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that.

But that part of Kylo's passage was detailing a certain point in his past, specifically when he murdered Luke's students.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 12:34 AM
Click here to Send Dominis a Private Message Find more posts by Dominis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Dominis
Yes but if the "much like" part is meant to be read as Ren being on par with Luke and Vader, then wouldn't the following sentence seem to suggest that he had possessed that same level of skill as of the time he faced Luke's students, since that is the following example used to give the reader an idea of Ren's skill?

That's why I don't think the "much like" part is meant to be read as an exact indicator of how skilled Kylo is compared to them, but rather that being related to them, he naturally possesses great skill in combat much like they did. Not necessarily the same level of skill.
Considering the page is centered around "Supreme Leader" Kylo Ren, the implication to me is that it is drawing a comparison between the lightsaber skills Kylo possessed at the time of TLJ/RoS(which is when he officially became the Supreme Leader), and the lightsaber skills of Luke/Vader. The excerpt then goes on to reference one of the sparse few instances where Kylo alone had actually put his "talent in combat" to use: and that was against Luke's Jedi students, which is true. But with the full context of the page considered, I do not think it was alluding to Kylo's swordsmanship already being on that level when he betrayed Luke and killed the students some 6-7 years prior to TLJ/RoS... Unless you are under the impression that his skills didn't improve at all during that time(which wouldn't really surprise me, tbh, given that Kylo's new Master was a borderline cripple who likely couldn't have done a whole lot to help refine his saber skills, and there weren't exactly an abundance of credible threats/Jedi running around for Kylo to test himself against either... But that's neither here nor there.) /shrug

Either way, I agree that the quote is not an exact indicator of skill -- it's just a general measuring stick. But as I mentioned above: there would be no contextual reason for Kylo's lightsaber skills to be likened to those of Luke and Vader at all, if the intent wasn't for him to at least be in their ballpark, imo. Otherwise the writers would have just thrown in a generic "Kylo's lightsaber skills are unequaled" line, like they did with the KoR in the very same sourcebook:
https://ibb.co/dtF4bH7

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Jan 4th, 2021 at 12:50 AM

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 12:42 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Meh. Too many assumptions and presumptions for my taste.

Ill personally be sticking with the movies themselves which go out of their way to tell us Kylo is no Vader.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 10:08 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

I mean Kylo could've improved his lightsaber skills by training alone, that's how Dooku got as good as he was because Yoda refused to teach him saber combat and obviously he good great results. Having a cripple master shouldn't halt your saber prowess if you are a talented duelist.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 10:38 AM
Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Bentley
I mean Kylo could've improved his lightsaber skills by training alone,
Not disagreeing.

Like I said above: the passage is most likely in reference to Kylo's saber skills as of TLJ/RoS, when he became the "Supreme Leader"(because that's what the page itself is in reference to)... And I would certainly think his skills in that era were superior to his skills when he killed the students years prior.

Just saying that I wouldn't exactly be surprised if it was revealed that his saber skills didn't increase much under Snoke's tutelage.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 01:54 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dominis

Originally posted by Galan007
Considering the page is centered around "Supreme Leader" Kylo Ren, the implication to me is that it is drawing a comparison between the lightsaber skills Kylo possessed at the time of TLJ/RoS(which is when he officially became the Supreme Leader), and the lightsaber skills of Luke/Vader. The excerpt then goes on to reference one of the sparse few instances where Kylo alone had actually put his "talent in combat" to use: and that was against Luke's Jedi students, which is true. But with the full context of the page considered, I do not think it was alluding to Kylo's swordsmanship already being on that level when he betrayed Luke and killed the students some 6-7 years prior to TLJ/RoS... Unless you are under the impression that his skills didn't improve at all during that time

I do think his saber skill likely did improve since then. That's kinda why I feel that the quote is merely suggesting that being a proficient saber duelist runs in his family instead of suggesting that he's on par with them as of a specific time in his life.

Also, looking at the page again, that part is like a side note or whatever with the heading "Jedi Killer," which discusses the event of Ren murdering his fellow students. IMO, I don't think it would randomly mention how skilled Kylo Ren became as of TLJ/TROS when it would have nothing to do with the event or the time period in which it's focusing on.

But that's just how I'm taking it.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 01:56 PM
Click here to Send Dominis a Private Message Find more posts by Dominis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

It's one of those ambiguous lines that will always be debated, unless we get a more definitive statement regarding his skill.

That said, the page header specifies "Supreme Leader", and the picture(s) of Kylo himself featured on that page are taken from the TLJ period.

So given this context, it wouldn't make sense for the passage to be referring to Kylo's skills before the time of at least TLJ, imo.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 02:12 PM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Galan007

So given this context, it wouldn't make sense for the passage to be referring to Kylo's skills before the time of at least TLJ, imo.

It would because its specifically talking about how that same skill was used to kill those Jedi under a sub-heading of Jedi Killer.

Theres no contradiction there to it being on a page about Kylo Ren as Supreme Leader, because its not like that skill has deteriorated over time. Its still there, if not better than before.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 02:51 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Right.

I'm just saying that the "much like" quote specifically seems to be in reference to Kylo's saber skills as of TLJ/RoS. I am not trying to claim that Kylo's swordsmanship was already in the ballpark of Luke/Vader back when he killed the Jedi students, and I personally do not think the statement is indicative of that.

...Unless, as I said earlier, we assume that Kylo's saber skills only increased negligibly in the 6-7 years between his initial turn to the dark side, and the events of TLJ/RoS. /shrug

tl;dr
Based on the quote, my personal opinion is that Kylo's "peak/prime" saber skills(which I assume to be the TLJ/RoS era) were intended to be somewhere in the ballpark of Luke and Vader. I do not believe that quote necessarily puts his skills on par with(much less superior to) Luke/Vader, however.

Last edited by Galan007 on Jan 4th, 2021 at 03:29 PM

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 03:22 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Last paragraph is still too long, didn't read thumb up

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 06:09 PM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

thumb up

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 07:37 PM
xPRIMEx

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Ill personally be sticking with the movies themselves which go out of their way to tell us Kylo is no Vader.

That’s only implied by Rey in TFA and Snoke at the beginning of TLJ. I feel like ROS portrayed Kylo as a much more mature and powerful character who’s at the peak of his power.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 07:56 PM
Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

I don’t see why Kylo’s saber skills wouldn’t be near Luke/Vader tier by the time he destroyed Luke’s Jedi temple. He was older than ROTS Anakin was by that point of time and had already received all of his training from Luke. The only other training he received was from Snoke who didn’t even use a saber. Even if he did improve, he could still be in the same general tier. For example I’d say TPM Maul and SOD Maul are in the same tier but he improved during the clone wars.

Last edited by xPRIMEx on Jan 4th, 2021 at 08:09 PM

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 08:03 PM
Rebel95

Originally posted by Dominis
Here's a question:

Lets say you are a professional boxer, and you have an 8 year old son, who much like you, possesses great skill in the sport...would that mean he is on par with you at 8 years old?

That's a weird comparison though. You wouldn't say an 8 year old amateur boxer possesses great skills much like his legendary professional uncle and grandfather. That wouldn't make sense because they're not even close.

I agree with Prime and Galan on this one. Comparing Kylo to his uncle and grandfather like that there's definitely an indication of parity--or at least some level of parity. It wouldn't make sense if Kylo isn't even close to their level.

Last edited by Rebel95 on Jan 4th, 2021 at 08:24 PM

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 08:17 PM
Click here to Send Rebel95 a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

That’s only implied by Rey in TFA and Snoke at the beginning of TLJ. I feel like ROS portrayed Kylo as a much more mature and powerful character who’s at the peak of his power.

That doesnt suddenly make him Vader level from one movie to the next though.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 10:34 PM
Darth Thor

I don’t see why Kylo’s saber skills wouldn’t be near Luke/Vader tier by the time he destroyed Luke’s Jedi temple. He was older than ROTS Anakin was by that point of time and had already received all of his training from Luke. The only other training he received was from Snoke who didn’t even use a saber. Even if he did improve, he could still be in the same general tier. For example I’d say TPM Maul and SOD Maul are in the same tier but he improved during the clone wars.

Kylo was conflicted as hell though. So cant just make assumptions like that.

He obviously had raw power though due to his bloodline.

I honestly dont think Maul did improve much since TPM. But his story was very different so not really applicable here.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 10:37 PM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Rebel95
That's a weird comparison though. You wouldn't say an 8 year old amateur boxer possesses great skills much like his legendary professional uncle and grandfather. That wouldn't make sense because they're not even close.

Heavy weights do not fight light weights in competition. And that has nothing to do with one weight being more skilled than the other. Theres simply an unfair weight/strength advantage there.

In combat The definition of skill is not who wins a fight.

But If the writers of these source books mean how they would actually compare in a sword fight, then they need to learn to express themselves better. But as it stands theres nothing there to use in a debate.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 10:40 PM
xPRIMEx

That doesnt suddenly make him Vader level from one movie to the next though.

It also doesn’t rule out the possibility that he is. There’s a year between TLJ and ROS, and he appeared to have grown quite a bit. Just sayin... although TFA and TLJ point out he’s no Vader, ROS doesn’t.

Last edited by xPRIMEx on Jan 4th, 2021 at 10:52 PM

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 10:50 PM
xPRIMEx

Kylo was conflicted as hell though. So cant just make assumptions like that.

He obviously had raw power though due to his bloodline.

I honestly dont think Maul did improve much since TPM. But his story was very different so not really applicable here.

I disagree. It’s applicable because a character can improve and still be in the same relative tier.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2021 10:56 PM