KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Regarding Rebels Kenobi vs. Maul??

Regarding Rebels Kenobi vs. Maul??
Started by: Eli Vanto

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
As for their fight in ANH: it was stated that Vader was initially being cautious against Kenobi -- testing his skill/power. He didn't want to make the same mistakes he had during their last encounter(ie. being an overconfident dipshit.) I reckon that's why their battle lasted as long as it did, especially since Kenobi commented mid-battle that he had absolutely no chance of defeating Vader.

Source?

I like it. Reminds me a bit of this JLA/Avengers #2 scene:

https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/u...em3-d4cttqr.jpg

Old Post Jun 17th, 2020 10:49 AM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Source?

The novel From a Certain Point of View:
quote:
I sweep down and he blocks, anticipating the attack. Our blades hold, energy fields discharging as they grind against each other. I see my face distorted in the reflective surface of his helmet. Old. Tired. Nearing the end. He's holding back, testing my limits. He wants to know how time has diminished my abilities.

[...]

Our lightsabers clash. I try to push forward, only to be thrust violently back. It's like striking iron. There's no give in Vader's arms, and far too much in mine.

[...]

My resources are depleted, my body screaming with pain. I have no hope of winning this fight.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jun 17th, 2020 02:16 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

The final episode makes it clear Maul vs tano can go either way. Maul beats her without a saber just as she beat him without a saber previously. Mauls survival on his own without a weapon is one of the greatest feats I can recall. The guy is just a survivor.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2020 04:12 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Source?

That reminds me more of the Maul/Kenobi finale.

Originally posted by quanchi112
The final episode makes it clear Maul vs tano can go either way.

Maul was the superior fighter in both sabers and in the force.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2020 05:47 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I've said this before, but in terms of spiritual/emotional growth, and his overall connection to the Force, Rebels/ANH was definitely Kenobi's peak. Even his dialogue with Maul, simple as it was, did a great job showing us just how much he'd evolved as a character over the years.

But in terms of Kenobi's combat skills as a warrior, I'd still say RotS was his peak. That's not to say Rebels/ANH Kenobi was unskilled, but furthering his saber skills just isn't what Kenobi was focused on during his years in isolation. That's likely why a few different sources mention that he'd become physically weaker and less skilled over the years.

But as Leia stated, increased age often strengthens one's connection to the Force:

Which further helps justify Rebels/ANH Kenobi being more powerful in that regard.

As for their fight in ANH: it was stated that Vader was initially being cautious against Kenobi -- testing his skill/power. He didn't want to make the same mistakes he had during their last encounter(ie. being an overconfident dipshit.) I reckon that's why their battle lasted as long as it did, especially since Kenobi commented mid-battle that he had absolutely no chance of defeating Vader.

Most of that lines up with the impression i've been getting from rewatches and talking about it in here, so you'll get no argument from me.

Vader not wanting to get ****ed up again is hilarious though.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jun 18th, 2020 04:53 AM
Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Darth Thor

Maul was the superior fighter in both sabers and in the force.
I agree but he failed to close the deal. That matters but Maul in the final episode surviving on his own with no weapons and beating tano shows why the guy is just so damn badass and hard to kill.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2020 05:38 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Hold up, why is all of a sudden this ok for Vader, but prior Canon it wasn't?

I recall this exact same thing coming up within RoDV? Or was in DS? In any case, a source prior also had Vader being cautious, but then people weren't accepting that for Vader because he was that weak or something or another, can't exactly remember the full of it.

Tch...what double standards are we playing at here..

Old Post Jun 18th, 2020 05:42 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Didn't Legends also have Kenobi's Soresu-haxx in full effect?

Seem to remember a blurb about Vader being unable to penetrate his defenses or somesuch.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2020 07:18 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Didn't Legends also have Kenobi's Soresu-haxx in full effect?

Seem to remember a blurb about Vader being unable to penetrate his defenses or somesuch.

I think so? I honesty can't recall, but there was something about that, but at the same time it still grew to weary Ben and Vader was being cautious.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2020 07:41 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by quanchi112
I agree but he failed to close the deal.

Yeah because he got frustrated she wouldnt join him and made a clumsy attack.

Thats his character weakness.

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Hold up, why is all of a sudden this ok for Vader, but prior Canon it wasn't?

I recall this exact same thing coming up within RoDV? Or was in DS? In any case, a source prior also had Vader being cautious, but then people weren't accepting that for Vader because he was that weak or something or another, can't exactly remember the full of it.

Tch...what double standards are we playing at here..

Probably because Lucas comments took precedent in the old Canon.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2020 08:06 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Yeah because he got frustrated she wouldnt join him and made a clumsy attack.

Thats his character weakness.

Probably because Lucas comments took precedent in the old Canon.

You mean the very old ones that became contradicted and or changed? Not exactly great of arguments, especially if people are now going by more recent sources that’s just being biased and hypocritical.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2020 08:49 PM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Zenwolf
You mean the very old ones that became contradicted and or changed? Not exactly great of arguments, especially if people are now going by more recent sources that’s just being biased and hypocritical.

I agree they were outdated.

Filoni seems to think Lucas was very protective of Vaders power level.

Just explaining their confusion with the old canon. That even Older quotes of Lucas were taken over Newer C-canon material.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2020 12:47 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

That's how it was in Legends, though: G-canon > ALL. Didn't matter if 30 other sources said the sky is blue, if GL said it was red, that was the irrefutable "word of God."

Nowadays GL's word actually can be negated by newer material.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2020 12:54 AM
Zenwolf

That's how it was in Legends, though: G-canon > ALL. Didn't matter if 30 other sources said the sky is blue, if GL said it was red, that was the irrefutable "word of God."

Nowadays GL's word actually can be negated by newer material.

Right, but Lucas clearly did change his mind on stuff, I'm pretty sure that meant his quotes from like...the 70s and 80s are overridden by what he says later. Otherwise is like...Ben Kenobi > Palps now in Legends? I'm pretty sure that was a thing. It's what I'm getting at here.

But anyway, uh...sorry, didn't mean to trail off topic here.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2020 01:05 AM
Darth Thor

TFU Vader was pretty beastly.

Wish they would bring Starkiller into Canon.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2020 02:27 AM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Thanks thumb up

Nah, Maul/Kenobi was more like this:

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jun 21st, 2020 02:47 PM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

laughing out loud

Pretty much... Except it only took Kenobi 3 moves. big grin

Old Post Jun 21st, 2020 03:03 PM