KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Star Wars: Squadrons

Star Wars: Squadrons
Started by: Ridley_Prime

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Star Wars: Squadrons

If this is supposed to be a modern take on the Rogue Squadron sub-series that I grew up with, then I'm kinda nervous. It's bittersweet too when Factor 5 who made those games are no longer around.

While the above reveal trailer was not bad looking, need to see some gameplay before I can really start considering. If it's yet another EA Star Wars that starts out subpar, I've no problem waiting until they work out the kinks and more updates come, but still, hope this proves to be worthwhile.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2020 01:17 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

My guess is it'll be more like the old game X-wing vs Tie fighter game then the Rogue Squadron games. As that game had missions for both sides too.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2020 03:52 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I think it's 5x5 MP with a short single player campaign. Supposedly it's around $40.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2020 04:15 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kazenji
My guess is it'll be more like the old game X-wing vs Tie fighter game then the Rogue Squadron games. As that game had missions for both sides too.

The RS games had a good number of unlockable bonus missions where you played on the Empire side, to be fair.

Originally posted by Smasandian
I think it's 5x5 MP with a short single player campaign. Supposedly it's around $40.

Ah, so basically a glorified tech demo? Hard pass for me then.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2020 05:06 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

That's a bad take. There is no issues with a company releasing a smaller MP game if they price it correctly.

I'm guessing this game was part of a larger game that didn't work out and EA thought this part of gameplay was good enough to warrant a smaller title.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2020 05:47 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Could be decent, but I'm already turned off by the seemingly small amount of available ships (yaaaaay, DLC) and general EA shenanigans that are to be expected.

But, on the other hand, it's been a long time since we've received a Star Wars dogfighting game, so I'll take what I can get.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jun 16th, 2020 06:03 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Will it be good...who knows.
EA has been supporting Battlefront 2 for the last couple of years and it was free. They did the same with Battlefield 5 so I have to assume they will continue to do so.

However, I always found ship/plane specific modes in Battlefield rarely played so I wonder how many people will actually pick this up.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2020 06:21 PM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

That's a bad take. There is no issues with a company releasing a smaller MP game if they price it correctly.

I'm guessing this game was part of a larger game that didn't work out and EA thought this part of gameplay was good enough to warrant a smaller title.

I'm not against that per se, but would rather invest in a full $60 game experience before I'd consider something like this. Maybe when it's discounted on sale I could pick up this at some point, but doesn't feel like a day 1 buy for reasons already mentioned.

Will it be good...who knows.
EA has been supporting Battlefront 2 for the last couple of years and it was free. They did the same with Battlefield 5 so I have to assume they will continue to do so.

However, I always found ship/plane specific modes in Battlefield rarely played so I wonder how many people will actually pick this up.

Battlefront 2's Starfighter Assault had the potential to be or become one of the most played modes in the game, but it was one of the least supported ones far as the updates, so it got stale after awhile.

That said, am curious as to how better this game will be in comparison when ship dogfighting's the main focus.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2020 07:13 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I have to assume they didn't update that mode because it was most likely not played that much.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2020 07:19 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Dice flat out admitted that they didn't support starfighter assault because they knew this game was on the way. Maybe they knew something about the quality of this game that we don't.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jun 16th, 2020 07:19 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I did not know that...interesting.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2020 07:37 PM
cdtm

No gameplay footage yet.

For context, this is what an Indy game can do:

A sequel to Everspace, I believe in Unreal 4, from a small indy studio with a small team.

Compared to the last game, we get planets and pretty amazing looking visuals.

This new Rogue Squadron game has no excuse not to blow them out of the water.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2020 08:05 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

I guess we'll have to maintain faith that EA has learned lessons from Battlefront II.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2020 08:18 PM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

I haven't heard that before, but what I do know is that The dog fighting modes were not created by dice proper- all of the ship to ship fighting mechanics were outsourced to a third party developer. When that happens in games it's fairly common for those sections of the game to not receive much support going forward.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jun 17th, 2020 01:02 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
The RS games had a good number of unlockable bonus missions where you played on the Empire side, to be fair.

And with X-wing vs Tie fighter you didn't have to unlock no bonus missions.....

Old Post Jun 17th, 2020 01:21 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by Tzeentch
I haven't heard that before, but what I do know is that The dog fighting modes were not created by dice proper- all of the ship to ship fighting mechanics were outsourced to a third party developer. When that happens in games it's fairly common for those sections of the game to not receive much support going forward.

I haven't heard that either.
I just know air modes in Battlefield were never popular.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2020 04:23 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

One of the devs on the battlefront 2 subreddit said it, yeah.

I mean, they could be lying, but it makes sense to me.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jun 17th, 2020 04:32 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Tonight is the EA play event, showing off a bunch of new games and supposedly this too.

Why they'd do it on the night Last of Us 2 goes live, I have no idea.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jun 18th, 2020 06:07 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

well, it was suppose to go last week or two.
And there is other streaming events throughout the next week.

Last of Us 2 doesn't get released until midnight..so after this event and I would think less people would watch if it was done in the next few days instead of before.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2020 06:28 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Over here in europe, they're both at midnight, so it's still funny to me.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jun 18th, 2020 07:19 PM