KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars: Dark Legends

Star Wars: Dark Legends
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
(please log in to view the image)
*spoilers*

quote:
The tale of Darth Noctyss, sickle-blade yielding Sith Lord who is at the height of her powers, conquering entire planets on her own. The galaxy fears her but Noctyss didn’t seek out conquest. Noctyss seeks immortality, preferring to decipher that and then she’d have all the time she needed to bring the galaxy to its knees. As we know in Star Wars, the path to immortality does not come easy or without great cost, so Noctyss spends most her life searching for the gateway. Toward the end of her life she discovers the path to Exegol, where she’s certain her answers await.

Upon her arrival she’s greeted by a Gollum-like creature who immediately begins assisting her. The creature leads her to the texts she’s looking for and Noctyss begins her scholarly expedition toward the secrets of immortality. I gathered this tale takes place in an ancient era of Star Wars, as Noctyss describes her intention to rule “the entire realm of the Sith“. I know Knights of the Old Republic isn’t canon but I’m just going to assume whatever the canonical equivalent we actually get will be similar. The creature Noctyss encounters serves as both her servant and focus of hatred. As Noctyss continues to age over the course of her studies she’s described as growing quite decrepit herself. The dark side is coming to collect its toll.

Noctyss eventually deciphers the ritual she must undertake to reach immortality. As part of the ritual a blood sacrifice is demanded. Once she takes the life of the creature its horrible state is transferred onto her and she learns all along the creature was Darth Sanguis, who’d been seeking an end to the terrible fate of immortality he’d found. Now, Noctyss will exist in the darkness for the next unlucky Sith Lord seeking immortality. We know the cycle ends at some point but I wonder if there’s a Sheev Palpatine version of this story we may someday get. As the final entry in Dark Legends, this tale abruptly bookends the dark journey the reader set out on.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jul 30th, 2020 05:11 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Neat

Old Post Jul 30th, 2020 05:16 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Noctyss herself was evidently quite powerful as well:

"Noctyss's capacity for channeling the dark side of the Force seemed almost limitless, and all who stood in her way soon wilted [...] It was said that, in those early days, Darth Noctyss might have conquered the entire galaxy, forging a brutal realm of the Sith that would have dominated for eons--if only she had had a mind to do it."

But like Plagueis and Palpatine, her undoing was ultimately in her lust for immortality.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2020 05:24 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Hmm. So does that mean this Darth Noctyss and Darth Sanguis also discovered the key to immortality?

And I assume this is set in the Old Republic right?

Old Post Jul 30th, 2020 06:02 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Eli Vanto
Hmm. So does that mean this Darth Noctyss and Darth Sanguis also discovered the key to immortality?
Well *A* version of immortality, at least -- one that mutated Sanguis and Noctyss into Gollum-esque creatures and trapped them in a perpetual state of agony:
"It was nothing but a wretch, the very dregs of life, a thing so broken that it barely clung to its existence."

Still a far cry from the immortality(via essence transfer) that Plagueis discovered and taught to Palpatine, or the immortality(via temporal resurrection) that Momin was capable of.

And I assume this is set in the Old Republic right?

Yeah, it's set in ancient times: "Long ago, when the galaxy was young and the stars burned bright and new."

There was also a reference to an immense order of Sith who lived during the reign of Noctyss:
"She would take her place at the head of a vast realm of the Sith, and all her many subjects would be shown their place, would kneel before her in gratitude for their enlightenment."

So it definitely takes place in the pre-Bane era.

Last edited by Galan007 on Jul 30th, 2020 at 06:54 PM

Old Post Jul 30th, 2020 06:50 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Gotta say... This was actually a fun read for the most part, and introduces several new characters/concepts(mostly on the dark side of things.)

-There's Jedi purge survivor named Kira Vantala, who actually bests the Grand Inquisitor in combat after he began stealing Force-sensitive children and taking them to a Sith Temple.
-There's a skull-like Sith mask purchased from Dok-Ondar's Den of Antiquities on Batuu, which essentially possesses the current wearer, and allows them to see the experiences of previous wearers.
-There's the entire "Blood Moon" chapter, which is honestly really good and highly recommended. A star that once held the purest heart of kyber galaxy has fractured as a result of wars during the Old Republic. As such, the star began 'bleeding', which wiped out the orbiting planet and said energies also have very...strange residual effects on the crews who visit the planet afterward.
-There's a story that is seemingly set in the Old Republic era, which introduces a Jedi named Nil Idyth(who is revered as a high-level Master with perfect control over his emotions.) However, Nil wears a kyber amulet that he's been using to transfer all of his dark emotions into... And when he is killed, his Padawan(named Sol Mogra) begins wearing the amulet, and is corrupted by the dark emotions within it.
-Darth Caldoth makes another appearance, and ends up mind-raping a Nightsister into oblivion(Caldoth is the same guy who turned his apprentice into stone with a Sith ritual during Myths & Fables.)
-And then of course there's the faux-immortality story of Darth Sanguis and Darth Noctyss.

Definitely a very dark, horror-themed book. Enjoyable overall, imo. thumb up

Last edited by Galan007 on Jul 31st, 2020 at 01:16 PM

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 12:35 PM
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Gotta say... This was actually a fun read for the most part, and introduces several new characters/concepts(mostly on the dark side of things.)

-There's Jedi purge survivor named Kira Vantala, who actually bests the Grand Inquisitor in combat after he began stealing Force-sensitive children and taking them to a Sith Temple.
-There's a skull-like Sith mask purchased from Dok-Ondar's Den of Antiquities on Batuu, which essentially possesses the current wearer, and allows them to see the experiences of previous wearers.
-There's the entire "Blood Moon" chapter, which is honestly really good and highly recommended. A star that once held the purest heart of kyber galaxy has fractured as a result of wars during the Old Republic. As such, the star began 'bleeding', which wiped out the orbiting planet and said energies also have very...strange residual effects on the crews who visit the planet afterward.
-There's a story that is seemingly set in the Old Republic era, which introduces a Jedi named Nil Idyth(who is revered as a high-level Master with perfect control over his emotions.) However, Nil wears a kyber amulet that he's been using to transfer all of his dark emotions into... And when he is killed, his Padawan(named Sol Mogra) begins wearing the amulet, and is corrupted by the dark emotions within it.
-Darth Caldoth makes another appearance, and ends up mind-raping a Nightsister into oblivion(Caldoth is the same guy who turned his apprentice into stone with a Sith ritual during Myths & Fables.)
-And then of course there's the faux-immortality story of Darth Sanguis and Darth Noctyss.

I wasnt planning on reading this book, but all this sounds pretty interesting. I might just read it afterall.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 07:17 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Oh another Jedi Purge survivor, good. The GI would need some more wins though, he's the leader of the inquisitorius after all. Also Darth Caldoth really sound interesting, I just mentioned him some days ago in my thread about the strongest dark siders in canon. Is there a site in particular from which you read this book? Or you phisically bought it?

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 07:21 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I wasnt planning on reading this book, but all this sounds pretty interesting. I might just read it afterall.
It's worth reading, imo.

Originally posted by Total Warrior
Oh another Jedi Purge survivor, good. The GI would need some more wins though, he's the leader of the inquisitorius after all. Also Darth Caldoth really sound interesting, I just mentioned him some days ago in my thread about the strongest dark siders in canon. Is there a site in particular from which you read this book? Or you phisically bought it?
I bought it a few days ago on Kindle. There are free links available for it now, though.

The more I see of Darth Caldoth, the more impressive he gets. The mind-f*ckery he pulled on the Nightsister was glorious:
quote:
It was then that he acted, for in truth Darth Caldoth had been mindful of Zeldin's presence all along, ever since her first tentative engagements all those years before. He had drawn on her strength and knowledge, first making use of the binding ritual buried deep in her consciousness to trap the spirit on Obsidia and then calling on her reserves to fuel his own battle with the Jedi. Indeed, he had manipulated her, allowing her to grow increasingly confident and push deeper into his mind until the point where she became vulnerable.

For Darth Caldoth's mastery of the Force was far superior to that of the Nightsisters, and with it, he drew a gilded cage around Zeldin's disembodied presence in his mind, trapping her there, separated from her body and unable to influence the actions of her terrible host. Zeldin screamed, panicked and afraid, trying desperately to withdraw, to pull her consciousness back into her own body on Dathomir.

But the bonds had been severed, and there was to be no escape. Terrified, Zeldin raged, but Caldoth's grip on her was absolute, and no longer could she assert any influence over his thoughts or his physical form. She was trapped in a prison of her own devising, and there was no hope that she would ever be free again. All she could do was scream. From that day forth, Zeldin was forced to exist in the permanent prison of the Sith Lord's mind, cut off from her sisters and the outside world.

Caldoth essentially isolated Zeldin's mind from her physical body, and kept her consciousness imprisoned in a perpetual state of torment within his own mind. Permanently.

...And mind you, Zeldin was also being amped by an entire coven of Nightsisters there.

Last edited by Galan007 on Jul 31st, 2020 at 07:49 PM

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 07:34 PM
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Caldoth sounds like one of those extremely powerful sith lords we have in the legends continuity, like ludo kressh, tulak hord, nadd etc

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 07:37 PM
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

Instead of wasting time on Doctor Aphra, they should start writing stories about the ancient jedi and sith

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 07:38 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Caldoth sounds like one of those extremely powerful sith lords we have in the legends continuity, like ludo kressh, tulak hord, nadd etc
Caldoth and Noctyss both come off as immensely powerful Sith, tbh, and also seem to have very interesting backstories. Full-length novels centered around either of them could be really good, imo.

Instead of wasting time on Doctor Aphra, they should start writing stories about the ancient jedi and sith
Doctor Aphra just won a GLAAD award(wish I were joking):
https://www.marvel.com/articles/com...ding-comic-book

So Disney definitely isn't going to stop cramming her down our throats now. If anything, the Aphra series will just become even more #Woke than ever.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 07:47 PM
Sheev
The All-Sith

Haven't read this myself yet, but this sounds an awful lot like the mask of Lord Momin.

And this Darth Caldoth sounds intriguing. What other stories has he been in?

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 08:20 PM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Sheev
Haven't read this myself yet, but this sounds an awful lot like the mask of Lord Momin.

And this Darth Caldoth sounds intriguing. What other stories has he been in?
It's definitely not Momin's mask:
https://i.imgur.com/y2MMKkn.jpg

Darth Caldoth made his debut in Myths & Fables(specifically the chapter "Gaze of Stone".) He was also mentioned briefly in Dooku: Jedi Lost.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 08:32 PM
Zenwolf

Doctor Aphra just won a GLAAD award(wish I were joking):
https://www.marvel.com/articles/com...ding-comic-book

So Disney definitely isn't going to stop cramming her down our throats now. If anything, the Aphra series will just become even more #Woke than ever.

quote:
leading a team of cultured creators to craft some of the greatest characters, most captivating storylines, and most moving moments in recent history at the House of Ideas.

......Riiiight...

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 08:49 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Great time to be a SW fan, amiright?

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 10:56 PM
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

It's definitely not Momin's mask:
https://i.imgur.com/y2MMKkn.jpg

Darth Caldoth made his debut in Myths & Fables(specifically the chapter "Gaze of Stone".) He was also mentioned briefly in Dooku: Jedi Lost.
I don't remember Caldoth being mentioned in Jedi Lost?? confused

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 11:23 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

The "Bestiary of Darth Caldoth"(or something close to that) was referenced when Dooku was exploring the Jedi archives.

It was more of an easter egg than anything.

Last edited by Galan007 on Aug 1st, 2020 at 01:48 AM

Old Post Aug 1st, 2020 01:44 AM