KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Next Gen Games For $70?

Next Gen Games For $70?
Started by: Nemesis X

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
StyleTime

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cdtm
Like I said, different mediums.

Buying movies is a waste, because you watch it once, maybe twice, then get sick of it.

Renting games is a waste, because if the games good, you'll never get enough of it. That's the basis of "new money for old rope", where people keep rebuying the same game across platforms.

People use Netflix/Hulu/etc for TV too, which is a better comparison. Binging all 7 seasons of Mad Men, or marathoning 11 seasons of Archer, takes as much time as going balls deep in a game you love.

That's not true in any way tbh. I loved RE2 Remake, but I beat it into the ground just like I did the original. 1st playthrough is for enjoyment, then I do all the S rank speedruns for unlockables, play through again with all my cool unlocked shit, then I delete it. There's just too many other games out there to keep going through something I've smashed repeatedly.

Of course, it depends on the type of gamer.. If you could marathon a game a week, maybe it's a good choice for you. I know people can do this.

Me, I just don't have it in me to game that much anymore. The 120 bucks a year would be better spent divided up on used games that I've been meaning to get too, or the odd sale. I guarantee I do not spend 120 in a year on games, nor could I really invest time in more then a game or two every few months..

I also can not justify too many new games, with a huge backlog dating back to the 16 bit era.

Just beat Starfox for the first time. And finished up Armored Core Project Phantasma's arena mode.

Actually, I play games pretty slowly too. Outside of pandemic lockdown, I don't beat most games in a week. You don't need to go full hermit for this to work out, not that anything is wrong with full hermit.

If you only play one, Momodora priced game each year, then yeah, I get it. With Game Pass, it only takes two new games start saving money though. And that's ignoring PSNow, which is only 60$. It's even easier to get value out of, although there's less options for new releases. I'm fine waiting though, and it frees up my wallet for the indie games that need my support.

A backlog is more reason to use a streaming service, not less. That's why most of us use one tbh. I pay for PSNow because it's just easier and saves money compared to getting all my backburner games individually. And you have the added benefit of not losing anything if you end up hating the game.

Keep in mind, I'm not trying to talk you into it. I'm only disagreeing with the idea they're bad offers. The truth is, PSNow/GamePass/NintendoSwitchOnline/etc are all quite amazing, albeit focused on different things, hence the price differences.

Last edited by StyleTime on Sep 18th, 2020 at 03:54 AM

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 03:41 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I will say Nintendo NES Online and SNES Online is a rip off at $5 a month. They rarely update it with new games and they dont have any of the classics aside from their own.

Considering Game Pass is an extra $5 with newer games (day 1 releases) and at least 10-15 new games a month...it's kind of nuts Nintendo doesn't get shit for their crappy online service.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 04:40 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

It's the same price as Live and PS Network. Also those classic games are some of the best of all time.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 06:41 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

The ps+ games that are now being included in the service are really nice for newcomers too.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 08:24 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Originally posted by Smasandian
I will say Nintendo NES Online and SNES Online is a rip off at $5 a month. They rarely update it with new games and they dont have any of the classics aside from their own.

Considering Game Pass is an extra $5 with newer games (day 1 releases) and at least 10-15 new games a month...it's kind of nuts Nintendo doesn't get shit for their crappy online service.

I would like a better 2 player beat up em on SNES online than what we currently got on there, but otherwise pretty happy with the selection and what they still add to it and NES, though there could definitely be more. 2 player online for all those old games is pretty nice too.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 09:03 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I think it can be more...these games are 30+ years old...there should be hundreds of them.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 11:29 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Other publishers may prefer to re-sell their games individually on Switch (Disney with The Lion King/Aladdin game re-release, Konami with the classic Castlevania collection, etc), which is why you won't see them on Switch NES/SNES online. Probably licensing issues far as bringing back some of the other old games too.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 09:54 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Sure...but it still sucks.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 11:27 PM
StyleTime

I will say, the Nintendo Switch Online(NSO) service has expanded it's NES/SNES library. It was only around 30 a while ago, but I think they're about 100 deep now. And if you buy annually, NSO is only 20$.

NSO is more comparable to PS Plus or Xbox Live Gold than PS Now or Game Pass. NSO is just their general online multiplayer service, but they also give you the classic library with it instead of rotating monthly games like PS Plus or Live Gold.

I'm not up to date on it, but I heard Nintendo plans on making a proper Nintendo version of PS Now and Game Pass down the road though.

Last edited by StyleTime on Sep 18th, 2020 at 11:46 PM

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 11:37 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Psychonauts 2 is finally going physical, and discs will be out in stores on September 27th but the price for it is $70. A game that launched at $60, soon to be a year old already optimized for next gen systems I might add and it's $70. The reason because this game's coming out as the only mass physical version, the "Motherlobe Edition", that comes with stickers and a code for exclusive behind the scenes. If there was a more standard physical edition next to this, I wouldn't mind but there isn't. Bruh.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2022 10:05 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Lol...you lot in the U.S.A are tripping over $70 price games. Could be worst paying alot more then that like places outside of the U.S.A.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2022 03:01 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

So because some prices are different elsewhere, people in the US shouldn't complain about an unnecessary price increase for games in their area? Anyone using this logic sounds like a 70 year old boomer complaining that the current generation didn't suffer as much as they did. Either come up with a better point or shut up.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2022 03:25 AM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/p...es-playstation/

quote:
The PlayStation 5 console has been a massive success for Sony, but it seems that isn't translating to game sales. According to numbers released by the company, game unit sales in 2022 were down 39 million from the previous year; that's 264.2 million units sold in 2022 versus 303.2 million in 2021. While first-party game sales have stayed largely the same, third-party game sales accounted for most of the drop off, with 220.70 million units sold in 2022 versus 269.30 million in 2021. Despite this, game sales revenue increased, as software prices jumped from $59.99 to $69.99.

As noted by Techland's Derek Strickland, it seems PlayStation fans are being more selective about which games they purchase as a result of this increase. In an industry where games are regularly discounted a few months after launch, it's plausible that a lot of PS5 users are waiting for price drops before they go ahead and make a purchase. Techland also pointed out that while Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 saw $1 billion in game sales revenue during its first 10 days on the market, that didn't make a big difference in terms of games sold for the quarter; PlayStation sold 6.2 million less games in that window compared to the year prior.

So what does all this mean? For PlayStation, it might not make a whole lot of difference, given the fact that game sales revenue was up, and first-party sales saw little impact. However, third-party publishers might have a lot to think about! Last year, games like Marvel's Midnight Suns struggled to find an audience, despite critical acclaim. If gamers are buying less, publishers might be more selective about which games to bring to market, and about their overall budgets. The $70 price point has been a source of controversy since it was first revealed at the start of this generation, and we might be seeing the first big impact of that change.

Who'da thunk it.

Old Post May 1st, 2023 06:50 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
So because some prices are different elsewhere, people in the US shouldn't complain about an unnecessary price increase for games in their area? Anyone using this logic sounds like a 70 year old boomer complaining that the current generation didn't suffer as much as they did. Either come up with a better point or shut up.

Only seen just this...

Shut up yourself, You lot ***** about about prices going up $10 or or $5 in America like you're living a in bubble

Meanwhile elsewhere that's still a cheap price $70.

Old Post May 1st, 2023 07:05 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaden_3.0

Originally posted by Nemesis X
https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/p...es-playstation/

Who'da thunk it.

It's got less to do with the price of games and more to do with the fact that an enormous amount of consoles got bought up by scalpers who obviously aren't going out and buying games. So yeah, Sony did really well selling all those consoles. Shame nobody using them.

Old Post May 1st, 2023 06:54 PM
Jaden_3.0 is currently offline Click here to Send Jaden_3.0 a Private Message Find more posts by Jaden_3.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Originally posted by Jaden_3.0
It's got less to do with the price of games and more to do with the fact that an enormous amount of consoles got bought up by scalpers who obviously aren't going out and buying games. So yeah, Sony did really well selling all those consoles. Shame nobody using them.

Except for awhile now PS5 has been seeing constant restocks and the scalpers reportedly have been trying to sell their PS5s for way cheaper as a result.

Last edited by Nemesis X on May 2nd, 2023 at 01:33 AM

Old Post May 2nd, 2023 01:22 AM
Jaden_3.0

Originally posted by Nemesis X
Except for awhile now PS5 has been seeing constant restocks and the scalpers reportedly have been trying to sell their PS5s fresh out the moldy attic for way cheaper as a result.

There's still only a fraction of the number of legitimate ps5 owners at this point in the console's life cycle than previous generations because of almost 2 full years of scalping coupled with the chip supply issues.

Old Post May 2nd, 2023 01:36 AM
Jaden_3.0 is currently offline Click here to Send Jaden_3.0 a Private Message Find more posts by Jaden_3.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

The shitty games don't help.

All the "critically acclaimed" games being copy-paste remakes says it all.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post May 6th, 2023 12:32 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

The shitty games don't help.

The Redfall debacle being the most recent example.

Last edited by StyleTime on May 6th, 2023 at 08:19 PM

Old Post May 6th, 2023 08:10 PM