KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » question for the "pronoun people"

question for the "pronoun people"
Started by: DeadpoolXXX

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Quincy
You're "allowed" to feel whatever you want mate. But there is a glaring amount of leeway between "I want to be referred to as royalty" and "I'm transitioning from one gender to the next." If you asked me to call you His Majesty, and instead I called you "Wanky" any chance I got, it's very fair for you to be like "this guy is intentionally being a dick to me" and for you to not talk to me.

That would be your call, Wanky.

-------------

The individuals that I've worked with in the past have always been very kind and forgiving in terms of misgendering. In real life, I frequently use "dude" and "hey man" as greetings, or "that's really tough, man." When I would do this to the individuals who do not identify as male, I would apologize. They would tell me it was totally okay. Sometimes it's difficult to get used to - not as a concept, but just in speech. Especially when you've known someone before they began their transition.

Scribble - you say you'd "call out a leftist" for misgendering you under the principle of they "claim to want to stand up for that." Would you call me out in this way? Do you feel like there are "leftists" in your life who would purposefully misgender you?

The difference is in people's acceptance and support. Trying takes time, as all things do. I used to work at a Residential Group Home for people in various stages of Mental Health Recovery. We'd have weekly staff meetings to discuss our individuals, their progress, their struggles. During these meetings it was very easy for staff or visiting clinical supports to slip up and make these mistakes - and they would either correct themselves OR other staff would point out their slip. Keep in mind, the folks in question were not in the room at this point. But the support remained.
Wanky... how did you know my nickname for Squall?

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 05:39 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Bingo. They would never insist on calling someone the wrong name, so why would they insist on calling someone the wrong pronoun? Because they get a little thrill out of clocking transgender people, and letting them know their place.

Or they just don't care. Have no clue about pronouns, no interest in learning.

Maybe they never even bother learning other people's names right. People like that do exist.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 05:40 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by SquallX
So if I were to say I must be refers to as “His Holy Majesty” and people refuses, am I allowed to get mad?

I have no right to demand anything from others when it comes to pronoun. You can ask, and depending on ones views, they could say sure, or no.

Sure you can. No one chooses which socio-economic status they were born into. No one chooses their "class." And since both of those literally are the most fundamental "starting states" at birth for all outcomes in life, I'd say it is a valid dysphoria.

It's not common, yet. But we do see the vestiges of it from the rich-people hate from the communists and the celebrity/Kardashian-esque worship we see. Seems like class-dysphoria to me. It can be very unhealthy, as well.

Give it another 20-40 years - we might see classism become more of a thing (because it already is a thing).

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 05:46 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by dadudemon
Sure you can. No one chooses which socio-economic status they were born into. No one chooses their "class." And since both of those literally are the most fundamental "starting states" at birth for all outcomes in life, I'd say it is a valid dysphoria.

It's not common, yet. But we do see the vestiges of it from the rich-people hate from the communists and the celebrity/Kardashian-esque worship we see. Seems like class-dysphoria to me. It can be very unhealthy, as well.

Give it another 20-40 years - we might see classism become more of a thing (because it already is a thing).
A lot of truth in this, and for most people worldwide class is immutable, they will never have the opportunities to move up and at the top are cushioned from the problems that might cause them to move down. This is the system propagated by conservatism.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 05:58 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snowdragon

Originally posted by cdtm
Or they just don't care. Have no clue about pronouns, no interest in learning.

Maybe they never even bother learning other people's names right. People like that do exist.

Sure however if you did use the wrong pronoun and someone simply asked you to use the correct ones they supplied, why not just respect that. Most times you can simply use their name if it's that big of a problem for you.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 06:04 PM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by snowdragon
Sure however if you did use the wrong pronoun and someone simply asked you to use the correct ones they supplied, why not just respect that. Most times you can simply use their name if it's that big of a problem for you.
thumb up

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 06:05 PM
cdtm

Originally posted by snowdragon

It probably depends on how the offended party takes it.

It's like me and my cigars. If I'm sitting outside enjoying a smoke, and someone looks at me sharply and says "Put that damned cigar out! I don't want your second hand smoke!", I'd probably respond by blowing a little smoke in their direction.

If they were polite about it, or not being jerks about their precious sensitivities, I'd likely go somewhere else, or put it out.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 06:07 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

It probably depends on how the offended party takes it.

It's like me and my cigars. If I'm sitting outside enjoying a smoke, and someone looks at me sharply and says "Put that damned cigar out! I don't want your second hand smoke!", I'd probably respond by blowing a little smoke in their direction.

If they were polite about it, or not being jerks about their precious sensitivities, I'd likely go somewhere else, or put it out.
So what you are saying is you have no embarrassment or shame about being antisocial and consider it your right to upset others?

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 06:26 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

You guys really don’t need to gang up so hard on his holy majesty.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 06:27 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by BackFire
laughing

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 06:28 PM
dadudemon

Originally posted by BackFire

That's MA'AM Holy Majesty!

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 06:32 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by Scribble
The left on KMC is actually highly transphobic and supports transphobia in a very tangible way, despite being the kind of crazy fools who also support kids transitioning.
What are you referring to here?

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 06:32 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scribble

Originally posted by Quincy
Scribble - you say you'd "call out a leftist" for misgendering you under the principle of they "claim to want to stand up for that." Would you call me out in this way? Do you feel like there are "leftists" in your life who would purposefully misgender you?
That was specifically about Bashar Teg repeatedly referring to me and Eon as "traps" and "drag queens" in a specifically derogatory manner, despite knowing we were trans, plus him weaponising my trans identity when talking to Surtur in the past.

If I'm gonna get used as a battering ram to "own the Trumpers" or whatever you want, then I'm certainly going to point those people out when they act in a manner considered actually transphobic, and may go harder on them to respect my pronouns to 'test their faith'. I find it interesting to see how some nominally left-aligned people can totally flip on their supposed alliance with minority people when those minorities disagree with them. Unsurprisingly, these people are usually straight, white males. Imagine my shock.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 06:33 PM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
So what you are saying is you have no embarrassment or shame about being antisocial and consider it your right to upset others?

I think the Japanese had one thing right.

The part about politeness and rudeness in their culture, I mean.

The concept of "If you're right, you get to be a dick about it" doesn't really work. Act like an *******, and enjoy being treated like an *******.

How this relates To my cigar hobby: I'm outdoors, in a place that allows smoking, I'm well within my rights to smoke there. The person yelling at me had no reason whatsoever to open up with biting my head off, but he did. So **** him.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 06:33 PM
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think the Japanese had one thing right.

The part about politeness and rudeness in their culture, I mean.

The concept of "If you're right, you get to be a dick about it" doesn't really work. Act like an *******, and enjoy being treated like an *******.

How this relates To my cigar hobby: I'm outdoors, in a place that allows smoking, I'm well within my rights to smoke there. The person yelling at me had no reason whatsoever to open up with biting my head off, but he did. So **** him.
You assume it's a he. However, what if it is an elderly old woman bith black lung.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 06:35 PM
Scribble

Originally posted by NemeBro
What are you referring to here?
See above post.

The current narrative is that I'm playing the victim and acting like Bash's behaviour hurt my wil fee fees. That is incorrect. I'm simply trying to show the hypocrisy at play.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 06:36 PM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

And as for pronouns, if someone makes a legitimate mistake, and you bite their head off over it, are they really an ******* for continuing the mislabeling?

What, privilege determines who has to back down, and who gets to be a dick?

I disagree. No excuse whatever for going for blood as the first move. You give someone the benefit of the doubt, and then judge them accordingly.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 06:36 PM
cdtm

You assume it's a he. However, what if it is an elderly old woman bith black lung.

Nah, it was a dude bro. You never transition into those jerks, you try and evolve away from them. smile

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 06:38 PM
snowdragon

I always found it much easier to just have one of those sharting moments after a big lentil curry night and I find being anti social and social distancing no problem at all even in the bussiest of stores/restaurants confused

Sure you walk funny and smell like shit but the fear of covid19 slips away in addition to worrying about rude ppl cutting you off in the exit line or being rude with improper pronouns wink

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 06:38 PM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

And as for pronouns, if someone makes a legitimate mistake, and you bite their head off over it, are they really an ******* for continuing the mislabeling?

What, privilege determines who has to back down, and who gets to be a dick?

I disagree. No excuse whatever for going for blood as the first move. You give someone the benefit of the doubt, and then judge them accordingly.

Bingo! thumb up

You’re on a roll.

I will never be a memory.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2020 06:39 PM
Eon Blue is currently offline Click here to Send Eon Blue a Private Message Find more posts by Eon Blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote