KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Name your top 5 story arcs

Name your top 5 story arcs
Started by: AlbertoJohnAvil

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
AlbertoJohnAvil
Restricted

Account Restricted

Name your top 5 story arcs

and why

-Can be from Marvel or DC

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jul 13th, 2020 07:30 PM
AlbertoJohnAvil is currently offline Click here to Send AlbertoJohnAvil a Private Message Find more posts by AlbertoJohnAvil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DantasKEdc

Genesis, Darkseid War, Last Family of Krypton, Action Comics annual 6 (Legacy) and What if Dr. Doom kept the Beyonder's power?

Old Post Jul 13th, 2020 07:47 PM
DantasKEdc is currently offline Click here to Send DantasKEdc a Private Message Find more posts by DantasKEdc Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Favourite or what we consider to be the objective best?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jul 13th, 2020 07:55 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AlbertoJohnAvil
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-
Favourite or what we consider to be the objective best?

doesn't really matter imo

Old Post Jul 13th, 2020 07:59 PM
AlbertoJohnAvil is currently offline Click here to Send AlbertoJohnAvil a Private Message Find more posts by AlbertoJohnAvil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

Kingdom Come, Mr. Miracle, Sandman Mystery Theatre, Earth X...I can't think of a fifth maybe Stealing Thunder or God Butcher

Old Post Jul 13th, 2020 09:42 PM
Sin I AM is currently offline Click here to Send Sin I AM a Private Message Find more posts by Sin I AM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

World War Hulk

World War Hulks

Heart of the Monster

Hulkverines

Hulkdigo

True masterpieces

Old Post Jul 13th, 2020 09:44 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
deft

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
World War Hulk

World War Hulks

Heart of the Monster

Hulkverines

Hulkdigo

True masterpieces

Good list, dude. As always.

My top is:

1. Planet Hulk
2. Return to Planet Hulk
3. The Hulk in the Mirror
4. Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk
5. Hulk The End

Old Post Jul 13th, 2020 10:10 PM
deft is online now! Click here to Send deft a Private Message Find more posts by deft Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Parmaniac
Evincar of KMC

Sinestro Corps War
Civil War
Annihilation
Shadowland
Infinite Crisis

No particular order

“I once had an entire race killed just to listen to the rattling of their dried bones as I waded through them.” —Volrath

Old Post Jul 13th, 2020 11:06 PM
Parmaniac is currently offline Click here to Send Parmaniac a Private Message Find more posts by Parmaniac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

Thor: The Surtur Saga
Hellboy: Wild Hunt
Invincible: Conquest
Wolverine: Enemy of the State
Cosmic Odyssey

Besieged by countless foes, his eyes they are aglow, longing for the fight. He stands upon a mound, doesn't aim the throw, just lets the hammer fly!

Old Post Jul 13th, 2020 11:54 PM
Khazra Reborn is currently offline Click here to Send Khazra Reborn a Private Message Find more posts by Khazra Reborn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

COIE.
Multiversity.
All Star Superman.
Kingdom Come.

I am God's mighty fist. I am God's strength made manifest.

Sig by: Skeets, S.S, thesilverspider, Sir SKEETS Alot

Old Post Jul 14th, 2020 12:43 AM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

Originally posted by Parmaniac
Sinestro Corps War
Civil War
Annihilation
Shadowland
Infinite Crisis

No particular order

Forgot about SCW...good pick

Old Post Jul 14th, 2020 12:43 AM
Sin I AM is currently offline Click here to Send Sin I AM a Private Message Find more posts by Sin I AM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MrMind

DC presents

Metal
Death Metal
Black Metal
Goth Metal
Doom Metal

Old Post Jul 14th, 2020 12:46 AM
MrMind is currently offline Click here to Send MrMind a Private Message Find more posts by MrMind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by AlbertoJohnAvil
doesn't really matter imo

Oki doki. Not in any order, but:

Flash v2 197 - 225

It's more of a long-form arc, with multiple arcs taking place in between. I classify it as an arc because it starts with Zoom's origin and his attack on Linda, and at the very end, Wally closing the loop and setting things right. Continuous threads moving from start to finish.

X-Men: Inferno

Though it starts way back in Uncanny X-Men 168 with the introduction of Madelyne Pryor, Inferno is the culmination of a buildup not unlike The Dark Phoenix saga had. This is back when X-Men writers were allowed to plan several months or even years ahead, and it shows. From Uncanny and X-Factor all the way to the final showdown with Sinister, I think it's a strong contender for being some of Claremont's best work on X-Men.

Superman: The Journey

Not many people's favourite arc, but for me it's easily my favourite. We have a Superman that, as powerful as he is (and he is written as powerful), is forced to confront the fact that as much as he might have worked to earn the admiration and trust of all around him, that it could so easily be taken away from him. We see him mess up, and how easily people turn on him. For anyone that doesn't know this arc, it's the arc taking place from Superman's POV leading up to the Sacrifice fight with Wonder Woman.

Aquaman by Peter David

Yes, all of it. I don't care. I could just say The Atlantis Chronicles. Or Time and Tide, but in all honesty, those plus the first 47 issues of Aquaman v5. It's brilliant. World-building. Smart-writing that has nuanced, interesting characters. Everything positive people say about David's run on the likes of X-factor and Hulk is just as much true of his run on Aquaman.

Truth: Before I read it, I had zero interest in the character. Zero.

Final Crisis: Superman Beyond

An arc that, imo, has aged incredibly well in light of watching the likes of Snyder and Johns attempt to emulate Morrison's skill at crafting a story on this scale. And that's not even me saying that what they did was bad. This story is just amazing. And it takes place over the course of two issues. TWO. It deals with themes that make you go back and read just to try to grasp the damn thing, and at the very centre of it all, at the very core of the story, is literally a guy that just wants to save his wife. It's arguably Morrison's best work, for me, and better than most Superman stories, it balances the "super" and the "man" incredibly well.

I had a ton of honourable mentions, but still.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 14th, 2020 01:26 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

Originally posted by -Pr-
Oki doki. Not in any order, but:

Flash v2 197 - 225

It's more of a long-form arc, with multiple arcs taking place in between. I classify it as an arc because it starts with Zoom's origin and his attack on Linda, and at the very end, Wally closing the loop and setting things right. Continuous threads moving from start to finish.

X-Men: Inferno

Though it starts way back in Uncanny X-Men 168 with the introduction of Madelyne Pryor, Inferno is the culmination of a buildup not unlike The Dark Phoenix saga had. This is back when X-Men writers were allowed to plan several months or even years ahead, and it shows. From Uncanny and X-Factor all the way to the final showdown with Sinister, I think it's a strong contender for being some of Claremont's best work on X-Men.

Superman: The Journey

Not many people's favourite arc, but for me it's easily my favourite. We have a Superman that, as powerful as he is (and he is written as powerful), is forced to confront the fact that as much as he might have worked to earn the admiration and trust of all around him, that it could so easily be taken away from him. We see him mess up, and how easily people turn on him. For anyone that doesn't know this arc, it's the arc taking place from Superman's POV leading up to the Sacrifice fight with Wonder Woman.

Aquaman by Peter David

Yes, all of it. I don't care. I could just say The Atlantis Chronicles. Or Time and Tide, but in all honesty, those plus the first 47 issues of Aquaman v5. It's brilliant. World-building. Smart-writing that has nuanced, interesting characters. Everything positive people say about David's run on the likes of X-factor and Hulk is just as much true of his run on Aquaman.

Truth: Before I read it, I had zero interest in the character. Zero.

Final Crisis: Superman Beyond

An arc that, imo, has aged incredibly well in light of watching the likes of Snyder and Johns attempt to emulate Morrison's skill at crafting a story on this scale. And that's not even me saying that what they did was bad. This story is just amazing. And it takes place over the course of two issues. TWO. It deals with themes that make you go back and read just to try to grasp the damn thing, and at the very centre of it all, at the very core of the story, is literally a guy that just wants to save his wife. It's arguably Morrison's best work, for me, and better than most Superman stories, it balances the "super" and the "man" incredibly well.

I had a ton of honourable mentions, but still.

I honestly thought it'd be two xmen arcs one aquaman and three superman...you surprised me with flash.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2020 02:23 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Sin I AM
I honestly thought it'd be two xmen arcs one aquaman and three superman...you surprised me with flash.

Yeah, tbh that Flash run is part of why for years Wally was arguably my favourite DC character. It's also part of why I tend to defend Johns even when he's not so great.

And honestly, I was trying to keep it to one character/team, and one writer per team. When it got to the fifth one, I was stuck asking myself if I had really enjoyed Hush or Knightfall more than Superman Beyond. Or if The Dark Phoenix Saga was separate enough from Inferno to really count. I could have put Hulk by Peter David, but that would be Peter David twice etc.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 14th, 2020 04:20 AM
Stoic
Avenger

1. Dreadstar
2. Thanos Quest
3. All Star Superman
4. Planet Hulk
5. Silver SurferThe Herald Ordeal

Old Post Jul 14th, 2020 04:38 AM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

All Star Superman
Sandman: Seasons of mists
Final Crisis
Sinestro Corps War
Thor: Surtur Saga

Old Post Jul 14th, 2020 05:09 AM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MrMind

Originally posted by abhilegend

Thor: Surtur Saga

whaaaaa

Old Post Jul 14th, 2020 05:18 AM
MrMind is currently offline Click here to Send MrMind a Private Message Find more posts by MrMind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

It's not an all time list, just what I am re-reading. An all time list would be different.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2020 05:41 AM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Legends in Exile [Fables]
Dangerous Habits [Hellblazer]
Sinestro Corps War
Superman: Secret Origins
Thanos Imperative

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Jul 14th, 2020 07:52 AM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote