KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Why was Batman defeated by Bane in their first battle in The Dark Knight Rises?

Why was Batman defeated by Bane in their first battle in The Dark Knight Rises?
Started by: YousufKhan1212

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by steverules_2
Yeah but Balemans growling voice was just awful

I thought his voice was far more suited to the role than Affleck's was.

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 08:19 PM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Hasn't the film itself made it clear enough already?

Technically yes, but you might be forgetting that I gave a reason why I put in the time and effort for writing that much:

quote:
Yeah, I know that some people already know the answer to the thread's title, but I recently read The Dark Knight Rises novel by author Greg Cox (which I highly recommend reading) in conjunction with rewatching the movie, and found that there's a lot to write about why Batman got demolished by Bane in their first fight, but managed to win when they fought for the second time at the end of TDKR. I wll be using TDKR novel in conjunction with the movie in this in depth analysis.

I just got a lot of enjoyment out of examining Bruce’s character arc in TDKR. TDKR might not be perfect, it has some problems, but it's a great ending to the trilogy and a near perfect finale to the story of Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne that Christopher Nolan, Jonathan Nolan and David S. Goyer wanted to tell. Bruce has such an emotionally resonant character arc throughout the film as well as finally letting go of his obsessions and making peace with his parents death, giving Alfred the fantasy that he always wanted Bruce to have. Bale does an great job at conveying how the events in the previous movie have scarred Bruce Wayne and the other characters in TDKR, and it's a great end to the hero's journey that nicely compliments Batman Begins.

Reading TDKR novel in conjunction with rewatching the movie made me want to write this essay because I found that there was a lot to unpack, which is fun. Was it necessary to write all that? Maybe not, given that people have more or less already gotten the message that TDKR was trying to tell since it was released back in 2012, but quarantine is so boring and this is one way of killing off boredom.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2020 09:52 PM
YousufKhan1212 is currently offline Click here to Send YousufKhan1212 a Private Message Find more posts by YousufKhan1212 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Good analysis and everything, I just couldn't help but to think you targeted it at some Bane fans here or had some other agenda.

But maybe I spent too many years on this site and you just did it for fun.

As for Nolan's trilogy, imho it's TDK >>> TDKR >> BB, but I realize many liked BB the best.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2020 03:08 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

HuLK KILLER HUMANOID has thoughts on this matter

Old Post Aug 1st, 2020 03:10 PM
BrolyBlack is currently offline Click here to Send BrolyBlack a Private Message Find more posts by BrolyBlack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by John Murdoch
I'll give you some props YousufKhan, that took some research. What I like about Nolan's Batman movies is the focus on Bruce/Batman's character arc. Mike Keaton will always be my favorite Batman, and the Burton/Schumaker films had a continuity string with Bat's character, but Nolan had a definitive begins, falls, rises theme going throughout the trilogy with Bruce.

As you pointed out at length and others summed up in their thoughts, mindset and physicality. Bane had the radical ferocity that Baleman had in his youth whereas Baleman had been in neutral, but I always think of the stark contrast between the combat style (really camera work, but combat style in-movie verse) of Begins Batman vs DK and especially DKR Batman as you pointed out. Specifically, in Begins when Batman dispatches the League of Shadows goons when confronting Ra's in the Narrows. Bruce is perched on the railing of the balcony the group is on, tackles one of the goons off the balcony, and tank-bruiser smashes through the rest of the group. He's a wrecking ball. We see in TDKR how Bruce has to whip back into shape and then fight smartly, targeting Bane's breathing gas tubes. I'm convinced prime Baleman would've gone blow-for-blow with Bane, maybe not beat him in fistfight outright, but been a match physically for him.

Good thread man.

Thanks. Keaton was a great Batman, but Bale was the best imo, I find him to be better than Keaton because he plays a more layered character than Keaton does, but Keaton is a close second.

As for the choreagraphy in Batman Begins, the reason why there's so much choppy editing and shaky cam is because Nolan wanted to convey that Baleman was "blindingly quick" from the perspective of the criminals, he's not fast that criminals can barely perceive him i.e. a blur. In TDK and TDKR, Baleman no longer appears to have that level of speed and ferocity, which can be chalked down to the constant wear and tear he subjected his body to from being Batman. With that in mind, peak Baleman would've slaughtered Bane to mincemeat.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2020 06:33 PM
YousufKhan1212 is currently offline Click here to Send YousufKhan1212 a Private Message Find more posts by YousufKhan1212 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Good analysis and everything, I just couldn't help but to think you targeted it at some Bane fans here or had some other agenda.

But maybe I spent too many years on this site and you just did it for fun.

As for Nolan's trilogy, imho it's TDK >>> TDKR >> BB, but I realize many liked BB the best.

Thanks. I didn't even realize that there were Nolanverse Bane fans here anyway.

BB is the best as a Batman movie tbh, it has the most overt comic book tone out of the entire trilogy, Bale's character is more like Batman than it is in TDK and TDKR and his Batman voice is a lot more natural than it is in the sequels. Not to mention, Batman is actually the central character in BB, the villains steal the show in TDK and TDKR.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2020 06:41 PM
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

An incel obviously wrote this

Old Post Aug 1st, 2020 09:03 PM
BrolyBlack is currently offline Click here to Send BrolyBlack a Private Message Find more posts by BrolyBlack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by BrolyBlack
An incel obviously wrote this

Wrong thread.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2020 09:58 PM
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

Sorry I needed an emaple of what an incel would write. This is the perfect example.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2020 10:57 PM
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

I liked The Dark Knight the best of the Bale Batman movies. BB was quite good as well though.

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Old Post Aug 1st, 2020 11:13 PM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by BrolyBlack
Sorry I needed an emaple of what an incel would write. This is the perfect example.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2020 01:09 AM
edward82939
Restricted

Account Restricted

helo Google

Old Post Oct 27th, 2022 07:27 AM
edward82939 is currently offline Click here to Send edward82939 a Private Message Find more posts by edward82939 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote