KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Nintendo's turnaround.

Nintendo's turnaround.
Started by: VG_Addict

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
VG_Addict

Nintendo's turnaround.

I think we can all agree that Nintendo's turnaround from the failure of the Wii U to the success of the Switch has been nothing short of remarkable.

What exactly caused the Switch to be so successful?

Old Post Aug 29th, 2020 11:19 PM
VG_Addict is currently offline Click here to Send VG_Addict a Private Message Find more posts by VG_Addict Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Re: Nintendo's turnaround.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by VG_Addict
I think we can all agree that Nintendo's turnaround from the failure of the Wii U to the success of the Switch has been nothing short of remarkable.

What exactly caused the Switch to be so successful?

Much better guaranteed third-party support from the get-go (showing Skyrim in the trailer was a good move, along with some sports games), world's first "hybrid" console, and... probably Breath of the Wild being a launch title, no one was content with buying it on their stuffy old Wii U.

Also a major release almost every single month in 2017 also helped, on top of that Nintendo's return to deep creativity and being receptive to fan critique.

No one thought we'd have 64-style Mario ever again since they seemed happy enough to stick to the norm and if it was gonna happen it'd be years off, we were wrong and Odyssey ended up being a m-a-s-t-e-r-p-i-e-c-e.

Mario + Rabbids ended up being a great take on the Xcom style-gameplay.

Switch on top of that was just... better, it was a better designed console and was an absolute no-brainer for anyone that was a gamer and traveled. The fact that it was one of, if not the only portable system that allowed couch co-op, it was so damn VERSATILE even compared to some of Nintendo's most revolutionary designs, so many different ways to play.

Even if you didn't care for the portability, you could play it on your TV using motion controls, with a single joycon, with both attached to a controller or a pro controller.

It did literally EVERYTHING it needed to, to hook people. It did literally everything right and for a long time it was almost as if Nintendo could read fan's thoughts with what they were giving us.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Aug 30th, 2020 03:51 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Oblation

As someone that loves the Switch, isn't the whole hybrid thing kind've just marketing nonsense? Isn't it just a really powerful handheld console that you can easily connect to a tv whilst using other controllers?

Somethng you could do with a gameboy and n64 back in the day even.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2020 11:48 AM
Darth Oblation is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Oblation a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Oblation Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Yes. Or something like a laptop....I never understood how revolutionary the Switch is...other devices have been portable and have the ability to play on an larger screen. Nintendo just did it well and in the "gaming" market....if we don't count tablets as gaming devices.

I think what is forgotten in the Switch success stories is they replaced two devices with one. Switch isn't just a replacement for the Wii U, it's also a replacement for the 3DS. Great move for sure...and good for consumers.

But you are replacing 75 million 3DS + 13 million Wii U sales with one device....or 154 million DS + 101 million Wii sales with one device. I assume Switch will sell more than 3DS/Wii U but will it ever reach the heights of the DS/Wii.

Also, it's a bit of a trend for a new exciting Nintendo console to fall hard when the next console gets released...I don't think a Nintendo console will fail as much as the Wii U because people clearly want a portable device..but what will happen if sales get decreased by 25% or even 50%.

Last edited by Smasandian on Aug 31st, 2020 at 12:21 PM

Old Post Aug 31st, 2020 12:14 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote