KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movie Versus Forum » Aragorn vs. Geralt of Rivia

Aragorn vs. Geralt of Rivia
Started by: xPRIMEx

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Rebel95
I'm gonna have to agree with Prime on this one.

It seems like a lot of you are either underrating Aragorn or overrating Geralt here. Netflix Geralt isn't as OP as he is in the video games. Don't get me wrong he's still a beast, but so is Aragorn. This would be a good fight.

I'm confused as to how it is a good fight. His aard alone means Aragorn gets close only if geralt wants him to. If he gets hit with a blast that can cause monsters to impact walls with stone shattering force the dude isn't gonna just pop back up.

And in the books witchers can sling fire too.

Last edited by Surtur on Sep 13th, 2020 at 09:41 PM

Old Post Sep 13th, 2020 09:37 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I forget which signs Geralt showed in the show besides the TK blast. I don't think he showed fire yet or shields or that magical trap thing. He might have tried mind control.

Old Post Sep 13th, 2020 09:42 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

I'm sure S2 of Netflix will have Geralt use the rest of his signs.

Old Post Sep 13th, 2020 09:44 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Originally posted by Surtur
I forget which signs Geralt showed in the show besides the TK blast. I don't think he showed fire yet or shields or that magical trap thing. He might have tried mind control.

He used quen to seal the coffin when he climbed in to stop the striga.

He tried to use axii on Renfri but she was immune to magic.

Old Post Sep 13th, 2020 09:48 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

Originally posted by Surtur
I'm confused as to how it is a good fight. His aard alone means Aragorn gets close only if geralt wants him to. If he gets hit with a blast that can cause monsters to impact walls with stone shattering force the dude isn't gonna just pop back up.

And in the books witchers can sling fire too.

When Geralt used Aard against the humans in Blaviken they just stumbled back a bit. When he used it against the men in the dragon cave they flew back quite a bit but they got up right after and continued to fight. And I'm pretty sure Geralt was amped by a potion when he fought the Striga, that's probably why it was so much more powerful then. So I don't think it would do much to Aragorn, and Geralt doesn't use it very often.

Last edited by xPRIMEx on Sep 13th, 2020 at 09:53 PM

Old Post Sep 13th, 2020 09:51 PM
xPRIMEx is currently offline Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Originally posted by xPRIMEx
When Geralt used Aard against the humans in Blaviken they just stumbled back a bit. When he used it against the men in the dragon cave they flew back quite a bit but they got up right after and continued to fight. Wasn't Geralt amped by a potion when he fought the Striga? That's probably why it was so much more powerful then.

He also punched the striga about 6ft in the air and 8ft across the room without the aard. He was probably slightly less strong than it though.

He also threw Torque the Sylvan with good force after getting rammed about 15ft by it.

Old Post Sep 13th, 2020 09:56 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19

Canonically his potions don't affect his Signs. Only physical attributes like making him more resistant to poison or able to see in the dark.

Old Post Sep 13th, 2020 09:57 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

When Geralt used Aard against the humans in Blaviken they just stumbled back a bit. When he used it against the men in the dragon cave they flew back quite a bit but they got up right after and continued to fight. And I'm pretty sure Geralt was amped by a potion when he fought the Striga, that's probably why it was so much more powerful then. So I don't think it would do much to Aragorn, and Geralt doesn't use it very often.

Even if you wanna believe he was amped for the other stuff, if Aragorn is within striking distance do you think him ending up on his back, even for a few seconds, ends well for him?

Old Post Sep 13th, 2020 10:04 PM
xPRIMEx

How would he be in striking distance if he’s blown back?

The men in the dragon cave had plenty of time to recover from it

Old Post Sep 13th, 2020 10:10 PM
xPRIMEx is currently offline Click here to Send xPRIMEx a Private Message Find more posts by xPRIMEx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

His sword-fighting IS better then Aragorn's.

Aragorn is a great swordsman, one of the most skilled in his verse (at that point), but he doesn't really have that visual skill that you can see with Geralt's style.

Both are one-man armies, taking down scores of men single-handedly. That said, looking at both, you can clearly see that Geralt is more skilled.

Take away his magic and I'd still give it to him. He's faster and more skilled, Aragorn has strength but that's not enough to give him the win.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Sep 15th, 2020 09:43 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xPRIMEx

That’s just choreography though. Aragorn would probably look a lot faster/more skilled if those movies were made now. Just look at how much more badass Legolas was in the Hobbit compared to LOTR.

But I guess if we’re doing movie feats only for Aragorn that’s all we can use.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2020 01:01 AM
xPRIMEx

Maybe if this was composite Aragorn it would be a better fight.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2020 01:38 AM
KingD19

If we make it composite Aragorn, we'd have to make it composite Geralt and Geralt with tv/books/game is too much.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2020 01:53 AM
xPRIMEx

With games yeah, but then we’d use games Aragorn too, the one that can summon the army of the dead on command stick out tongue

I meant if it was composite Aragorn vs books/Netflix composite Geralt

Last edited by xPRIMEx on Sep 16th, 2020 at 02:49 AM

Old Post Sep 16th, 2020 02:47 AM
KingD19

With games yeah, but then we’d use games Aragorn too, the one that can summon the army of the dead on command stick out tongue

I meant if it was composite Aragorn vs books/Netflix composite Geralt

Would work except none of the games are canon to the LOTR series aside from Shadow of Mordor & Shadow of War, while the Witcher games are just as canon as the books since the company who made the games own the license. Even games that follow the story only allow you to do stuff like that because of game mechanics. So even then, he still wouldn't have the Dead Men of Dunharrow as that fight is finished and they're resting.

But even with just Books/Netflix Geralt, he has some insane feats in the book with his strength/speed/durability/etc....and his Signs. And in the books, he uses all of them frequently and to great effect.

So Aragorn would be dealing with -

Axii - Mind Control essentially. It doesn't work well against strong willed people but it will at least trip him up a bit.

Ignii - A flamethrower in his hand.

Aard - Essentially a Force Push.

Quen - A forcefield that can block all Aaragorn's blows while still allowing Geralt to hit him without it affecting his sword.

Yrden - An area of effect magic trap he can place on the ground that will slow Aaragon to a crawl if it doesn't outright freeze him in place. It also hurts you while you're inside it.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2020 03:14 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

I'd back Geralt, but mostly due to having a speed advantage, as I don't recall Aragorn being fast enough to casually deflect crossbow bolts out of the air. I don't think it's as much of a stomp as some others do, because their other stats should be quite close IMO. And it's not really in character for Geralt to use a lot of signs in a fight. I mean he used Aard like, what, 4 or 5 times throughout the entire first season? And that's the Sign he used the most by far. He doesn't use Signs that much in the books either. It's only in the games where he's spamming magic, which is down to game mechanics. Not saying he won't use it, but it's not like he's going to be blasting Aragorn left and right. Anyway, as I said, his speed should net him the win when everything else is pretty balanced.

I will say that we arguably have yet to see Netflix Geralt really pushed though. He clearly didn't want to kill Renfri and was trying to cure the Striga, which are the two opponents who have given him the hardest time so far.

Last edited by TheVaultDweller on Sep 16th, 2020 at 03:21 AM

Old Post Sep 16th, 2020 03:17 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
I'd back Geralt, but mostly due to having a speed advantage, as I don't recall Aragorn being fast enough to casually deflect crossbow bolts out of the air. I don't think it's as much of a stomp as some others do, because their other stats should be quite close IMO. And it's not really in character for Geralt to use a lot of signs in a fight. I mean he used Aard like, what, 4 or 5 times throughout the entire first season? And that's the Sign he used the most by far. He doesn't use Signs that much in the books either. It's only in the games where he's spamming magic, which is down to game mechanics. Not saying he won't use it, but it's not like he's going to be blasting Aragorn left and right.

That's basically my stance. Geralt is insanely fast, and similar in all other categories. PLUS he has magic, while Aaragorn has none. Even though he doesn't spam his Signs, he makes strategic use of them enough that they are a viable battle strategy.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2020 03:22 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by KingD19
That's basically my stance. Geralt is insanely fast, and similar in all other categories. PLUS he has magic, while Aaragorn has none. Even though he doesn't spam his Signs, he makes strategic use of them enough that they are a viable battle strategy.

Yeah, and as I threw in as an afterthought, we have arguably yet to see Netflix Geralt going at his hardest, considering the context of his fights with the Striga and Renfri.

It's actually kind of funny though. Netflix Geralt is arguably faster than book Geralt in terms of reflexes lol. Because book Geralt can also arrow time, but I can't recall him doing it as casually as the Netflix version has. In the books, he tends to have to concentrate on the person firing and be facing them head on. In the show, in the Blaviken scene, he casually swats a bolt out of the air while moving between opponents.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2020 03:31 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Yeah, and as I threw in as an afterthought, we have arguably yet to see Netflix Geralt going at his hardest, considering the context of his fights with the Striga and Renfri.

It's actually kind of funny though. Netflix Geralt is arguably faster than book Geralt in terms of reflexes lol. Because book Geralt can also arrow time, but I can't recall him doing it as casually as the Netflix version has. In the books, he tends to have to concentrate on the person firing and be facing them head on. In the show, in the Blaviken scene, he casually swats a bolt out of the air while moving between opponents.

I'd say that because we see Netflix Geralt visually, he appears much faster, but the books have Geralt doing some crazy stuff so they're in the same realm.

https://i.imgur.com/gQsbJH3.png - Moves so fast he makes twins who are in sync in a fight crash into each other. He's described as a blur and slashes both of them at the same time in different spots.

https://i.imgur.com/IugM6Qx.png - Kills 3 guys so fast no one notices him killing them, only their bodies on the floor.

https://i.imgur.com/9eHz3AG.png - Parries 2 simultaneous attacks aimed at his head and his legs so fast that it only sounds like one impact.

https://i.imgur.com/C404bFh.png - Actually deflecting a crossbow.

https://i.imgur.com/2An8cwX.png - Moved so fast he took his hands from under the table, pulled a dagger and stabbed a guys hand before he could move it.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2020 03:44 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by KingD19
I'd say that because we see Netflix Geralt visually, he appears much faster, but the books have Geralt doing some crazy stuff so they're in the same realm.

https://i.imgur.com/gQsbJH3.png - Moves so fast he makes twins who are in sync in a fight crash into each other. He's described as a blur and slashes both of them at the same time in different spots.

https://i.imgur.com/IugM6Qx.png - Kills 3 guys so fast no one notices him killing them, only their bodies on the floor.

https://i.imgur.com/9eHz3AG.png - Parries 2 simultaneous attacks aimed at his head and his legs so fast that it only sounds like one impact.

https://i.imgur.com/C404bFh.png - Actually deflecting a crossbow.

https://i.imgur.com/2An8cwX.png - Moved so fast he took his hands from under the table, pulled a dagger and stabbed a guys hand before he could move it.

I don't think there's a big gap in reflex speed between the two, or that there even is one, really. Just that if you compare them performing the same type of feat, you could argue that one version appears to have an easier time of it, suggesting some edge in that regard. Both versions are much, much faster than the average person though.

Plus, I tend to use implied speed first and visual speed second, unless there aren't really any quantifiable speed feats to go on, in which case you really only have visual speed. After all, going by visual speed, some of the fodder Clippers in ItB are faster, better fighters than some of the Jedi Masters in RotS.

Last edited by TheVaultDweller on Sep 16th, 2020 at 04:28 AM

Old Post Sep 16th, 2020 04:24 AM