KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dead at 87

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dead at 87
Started by: Surtur

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

RIP.

But no, Trump should not pick a moderate. He should pick a staunch conservative. Picking conservatives to go on the SC is a major reason he was elected.

F*** compromising with this "he should pick a centrist/moderate" crap regardless of how much people like Bill Maher and far left crazies will disapprove.

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Last edited by eThneoLgrRnae on Sep 19th, 2020 at 06:58 AM

Old Post Sep 19th, 2020 06:55 AM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

If he picks someone extreme then if he loses and if the gop loses the senate then the Dems probably would just expand the court and add some liberal judges to counteract the hard right judges.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2020 06:59 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
Word is Murkowski and Romney have both said they would oppose any attempt to fill the seat before the inauguration. Collins has said in the past that she would do the same.

Yeah, as much as I'd like for another conservative to be put on the SC before the election I doubt it's gonna happen.

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Old Post Sep 19th, 2020 07:01 AM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Then the next time the conservatives get control they can do the same.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2020 07:02 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

If he picks someone extreme then if he loses and if the gop loses the senate then the Dems probably would just expand the court and add some liberal judges to counteract the hard right judges.

Depends on what you mean by "extreme". I'm sure your definition of it is different from what I'd call extreme. For example, Kavanaugh is certainly not an extremist. Neither is Trump, himself, but I bet you would disagree.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2020 07:03 AM
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Also, BF, I don't think either side can just expand the court like that on their own because they don't like the fact their side is in the minority.

Common sense tells me that would be illegal. Just like the dems wanting to do away with the electoral college.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2020 07:07 AM
BackFire

Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
Also, BF, I don't think either side can just expand the court like that on their own because they don't like the fact their side is in the minority.

Common sense tells me that would be illegal. Just like the dems wanting to do away with the electoral college.

It’s an idea that has been floated around before. And I too thought it would be difficult to do but looking into it it just would require a simple majority from what I can tell. There’s nothing in the constitution that stipulates how many judges are on the SC.

The reason it hasn’t been done is because it will create a slippery slope. Like if the dems do it next year if they get into power then the republicans would just do it and add conservative judges the next time they are in power and so on. It would ser a bad precedent which is why I am not in favor of such an action. But if the Trump nominates someone who may vote to overturn laws like abortion rights or gay rights they may feel like they have no other options. Which is why a moderate candidate would probably be best. It would largely avoid all that.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2020 09:13 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

If that's the case, I think the Democrats would try to do it regardless of who Trump picks.

Bottom line is Trump made a promise to his base to put constitutional conservatives on the SC . If Trump put someone on the court who supports abortion he'd never be forgiven by us (most of us anyway) and he knows it.

He should do what is right regardless of the consequences by sticking to his word and putting someone on the SC who stands up for and supports the right to life (which is the most basic and fundamental of ALL rights) of the defenseless unborn.

Last edited by eThneoLgrRnae on Sep 19th, 2020 at 09:42 AM

Old Post Sep 19th, 2020 09:32 AM
BackFire

I dunno. Most dems, including Biden, are against it for the reasons I stated. So I think if Trump were to nominate a moderate i don’t think they’d go forward with it.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2020 09:50 AM
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Apparently, Trump was in the middle of one of his huge rallies when she died. They waited till after the rally was over to tell him about it. That was a wise move.

I shudder to think of the optics if he had announced it during his rally and some people in the crowd celebrated it by cheering or applauding or whatever. Wouldn't have been a good look at all.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2020 10:21 AM
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

Any Coney Barret is probably going to be the nominee

Old Post Sep 19th, 2020 10:35 AM
BrolyBlack is currently offline Click here to Send BrolyBlack a Private Message Find more posts by BrolyBlack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Surtur
This is what sucks for me. She could have retired in like 2014 and been replaced.

But once trump won there was so much pressure. U had leftist celebrities offering her their vital organs to keep her alive.

I'd bet Ruth mostly didnt care, but no way we shrugged off that onslaught 100% of the time
Oh the leftists, the celebs... funny stuff. Any opportunity, ha tovarisch?

Old Post Sep 19th, 2020 10:45 AM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Why do people act like RBG could turn water into wine and cure the blind?

Am I the only one who doesn’t care that she died?

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Sep 19th, 2020 06:56 PM
Impediment is online now! Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Impediment
Why do people act like RBG could turn water into wine and cure the blind?

Am I the only one who doesn’t care that she died?

I don't really care either. I just don't think it's in good taste to celebrate her death (even if tens-of-thousands or perhaps even hundreds-of-thousands of defenseless unborn babies did in fact die because of some of her horrible rulings, which they did, make no mistake) either.

I know I said earlier this morning for her to RIP, but honestly, I don't think she's getting any real rest right now. No, I imagine she's seriously regretting supporting the deaths of so many innocent unborn children.

Jesus said that that it would be better for a millstone to be cast around a person's neck and for that person to then be cast into the ocean rather than face their just punishment for "hurting one of these little ones".

No, I seriously doubt she will ever be resting in peace. If that offends anyone, too bad.

That famous song "No Rest for the Wicked" comes to mind right now.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2020 08:06 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm actually kinda disturbed by this "last dying wish" she supposedly had according to her grand daughter. If it is not a lie then Ruth was senile.

She supposedly told her grand daughter she doesn't want to be replaced until there is a new president. So, if Trump wins in 2020 we won't have a new one until 2025. So she was truly saying she wanted the seat left vacant for 5 years?

Either it's a lie or she was senile as f*ck and not fit to serve. Again, she did not say "wait until after the election" but rather "new president".

It did bring us comedy, did you see the crowds of mourners, some shouting "RESPECT HER WISH".

"But her wish tho" will become the new "what about the poem on the statue of liberty?!?!"

Last edited by Surtur on Sep 19th, 2020 at 09:13 PM

Old Post Sep 19th, 2020 09:10 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Problem is I just contacted the ghost of Antonin Scalia and he said his dying wish was for RBG's dying wish to be dismissed.

So sorry.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2020 09:14 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Originally posted by Surtur
I'm actually kinda disturbed by this "last dying wish" she supposedly had according to her grand daughter. If it is not a lie then Ruth was senile.

She supposedly told her grand daughter she doesn't want to be replaced until there is a new president. So, if Trump wins in 2020 we won't have a new one until 2025. So she was truly saying she wanted the seat left vacant for 5 years?

Either it's a lie or she was senile as f*ck and not fit to serve. Again, she did not say "wait until after the election" but rather "new president".

It did bring us comedy, did you see the crowds of mourners, some shouting "RESPECT HER WISH".

"But her wish tho" will become the new "what about the poem on the statue of liberty?!?!"

I think she just meant the new president as in whoever gets elected in November.

Of course she personally doesn’t want trump to replace her but I don’t think she was saying “if trump wins please keep my seat vacant until a dem wins.”

Old Post Sep 19th, 2020 09:31 PM
Impediment
Endless

Please let Ted Cruz be the replacement.

Just for the liberal butt hurt.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Sep 19th, 2020 09:36 PM
Impediment is online now! Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think she just meant the new president as in whoever gets elected in November.

Of course she personally doesn’t want trump to replace her but I don’t think she was saying “if trump wins please keep my seat vacant until a dem wins.”

Eh, the wording seems specific. If she didn't realize the implications I still say "that is senility".

Old Post Sep 19th, 2020 09:40 PM
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Actually the word she used was "installed" I think, not "replaced". That is yet another strange word choice for a position that is supposed to be decided by the votes of the American people.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2020 09:47 PM