KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Mass Effect - Legendary Edition

Mass Effect - Legendary Edition
Started by: -Pr-

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (18): « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Regardless, the problem of this is wondering what else they will change/censor next 'cause why stop at one thing really.

That's the worry, isn't it. Of course, the usual suspects will trot out the "incels only care about Miranda's butt in a cutscene" stuff, but what we do know is that this isn't a straight "hd up" of the games. They've made changes. Some of which are obviously positive. So it's a remake, even if it's just a partial one.

Am I supposed to trust that Bioware (and let's be clear, for the most part this isn't the same Bioware that made the original trilogy) just changed that, but not anything else? Really? Sure, they can (and did) trot out a guy that did QA testing on the original ME2 and act like he's somehow as qualified as Casey Hudson to talk about it, but still.

If all they changed was a butt-shot in a cutscene? Great. I hope that's all it is.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Feb 7th, 2021 08:20 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Then re-play the originals.

It's a remake..things are going to get changes and they will remove things they don't mention in press releases. Treat them as new games.

Last edited by Smasandian on Feb 7th, 2021 at 12:45 PM

Old Post Feb 7th, 2021 12:41 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Originally posted by Smasandian
Then re-play the originals.

It's a remake..things are going to get changes and they will remove things they don't mention in press releases. Treat them as new games.
Isn't it kind of reductive to just wave away with argument with a "then don't play it"?

Bioware of 2021 messing with a classic like ME sends up all kinds of red flags. It's not crazy to be worried about what else they'll change. These aren't new games, and acting like they shouldn't be compared to the original trilogy besides being nearly the same games doesn't make sense. This isn't a RE2 to RE2make situation. It's not even a RE1 to RE1make situation. Same games. Same code. Just small alterations here and there.

PWNT

Old Post Feb 7th, 2021 04:48 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

But they are already messing with the game.

The combat system is being completely reworked for ME1. The inventory system is being reworked. The character creation system is being reworked.

Updated graphics and lighting effects will effectively change every gameplay moment in either good or bad ways. There is no class based restrictions for weapons.

AI is being reworked and updated and they are updating boss encounters. The Mako physics system is being remodeled and there is now autoaim for ME1.

But...redoing a few conversation scenes to take out some the pretty shitty and obvious objectifying woman for no reason is a step too far! Don't mess with that! That's a red flag that they are messing with the classic ME.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2021 04:56 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

But they are already messing with the game.

The combat system is being completely reworked for ME1. The inventory system is being reworked. The character creation system is being reworked.

Updated graphics and lighting effects will effectively change every gameplay moment in either good or bad ways. There is no class based restrictions for weapons.

AI is being reworked and updated and they are updating boss encounters. The Mako physics system is being remodeled and there is now autoaim for ME1.

But...redoing a few conversation scenes to take out some the pretty shitty and obvious objectifying woman for no reason is a step too far! Don't mess with that! That's a red flag that they are messing with the classic ME.
You're still being reductive though. Those are all QOL enhancements to ME1, which has aged pretty rough compared to 2+3. You know people aren't talking about some gameplay enhancements (though that could actually cause it's own set of problems).

When you start imposing your own artistic vision on something pre-existing, the entire argument changes. What if they straight up start changing facets of characters? Is Miranda the same if you strip her of her sexual appeal despite the whole femme fatale thing being her entire schtick? What if they decide they don't like Ashley's anti-alien sentiments being in the game due their own personal taste or the current climate? Ashley is a deeply flawed character. IMO it wouldn't be a complete stretch to consider her somewhat of a racist (maybe not to the point of Cerberus, but she's said some sketchy stuff). That's part of her character nuance. You take that away and she has no real flaws. Just generic, capable love interest #3. Where do the changes end? Is it really just a camera angle?

PWNT

Last edited by Arachnid1 on Feb 7th, 2021 at 05:26 PM

Old Post Feb 7th, 2021 05:24 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Miranda's ass shots in scenes that it serves no purpose are just as "aged" as the gameplay.

Bioware created the series and if they think it's a good idea to modify certain elements of the dialogue scenes due to the new cultural norms then they have right to do so.

I also don't see how QoL enhancements for gameplay, which could change ME1 in a much different way is seen to be OK but removing certain camera shots is considered a slippery slope. My only though for most people is that they are just pissed they do not get to some fake polygon butts.

Last edited by Smasandian on Feb 7th, 2021 at 05:46 PM

Old Post Feb 7th, 2021 05:39 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Miranda's ass shots in scenes that it serves no purpose are just as "aged" as the gameplay.

Bioware created the series and if they think it's a good idea to modify certain elements of the dialogue scenes due to the new cultural norms then they have right to do so.

I also don't see how QoL enhancements for gameplay, which could change ME1 in a much different way is seen to be OK but removing certain camera shots is considered a slippery slope. My only though for most people is that they are just pissed they do not get to some fake polygon butts.

It did serve a purpose though. You can think it doesn't, and that's fine, but it did to the creators when they made the game. You can disagree with that. I can disagree with that. But saying "it serves no purpose" isn't true.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Feb 7th, 2021 07:44 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

I can think of two obvious purposes it served. One might have been to keep people more enticed. Sex sells as much as people hate to realize that, and Miranda is sexy. Which leads to my second point. In game, in universe, Miranda is a genetically modified "superior" human. She's the strongest human biotic around aside from Jack who was basically tortured into becoming an uber biotic. And Shepard, but he's only gameplay wise as he is canonically a soldier in all 3 games. She herself mentions how she was designed to be perfect and uses her allure to help her in her goals. So you've got a marketing reason, and an in game reason right there.

As much as I like looking at her butt, it being removed wouldn't hurt me, but I would notice the absence since I've played each game at least a dozen times a piece.

My issue is that they're bending over backward to make the game more PC, but are just fine with leaving a dog sh*t, lazy, lie of an ending. They're also fine with leaving stuff out that should've been in the first time around.

Why is Shepard always a soldier for example? My Shepard is a biotic through and through, yet in every cutscene and every paragon/renegade action or even violent action from 2 on, he forgets that. I shouldn't have to watch him beating his rifle on a piece of reinforced glass, because my Shepard could just obliterate it with a force push. I don't need to punch people if I don't want to. I can hold them in the air and threaten to flay them with my mind. Etc... A tech Shepard should be able to take the lead on hacking or opening doors in cutscenes. And you can't say it wouldn't work, as from Dragon Age: Origins you get different reactions, actions, and cutscenes if you're a mage, rogue, or warrior.

They're so focused on making sure people won't complain about the new games, that they're ignoring all the complaints that never went away.

Last edited by KingD19 on Feb 7th, 2021 at 07:56 PM

Old Post Feb 7th, 2021 07:53 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by KingD19
I can think of two obvious purposes it served. One might have been to keep people more enticed. Sex sells as much as people hate to realize that, and Miranda is sexy. Which leads to my second point. In game, in universe, Miranda is a genetically modified "superior" human. She's the strongest human biotic around aside from Jack who was basically tortured into becoming an uber biotic. And Shepard, but he's only gameplay wise as he is canonically a soldier in all 3 games. She herself mentions how she was designed to be perfect and uses her allure to help her in her goals. So you've got a marketing reason, and an in game reason right there.

As much as I like looking at her butt, it being removed wouldn't hurt me, but I would notice the absence since I've played each game at least a dozen times a piece.

My issue is that they're bending over backward to make the game more PC, but are just fine with leaving a dog sh*t, lazy, lie of an ending. They're also fine with leaving stuff out that should've been in the first time around.

Why is Shepard always a soldier for example? My Shepard is a biotic through and through, yet in every cutscene and every paragon/renegade action or even violent action from 2 on, he forgets that. I shouldn't have to watch him beating his rifle on a piece of reinforced glass, because my Shepard could just obliterate it with a force push. I don't need to punch people if I don't want to. I can hold them in the air and threaten to flay them with my mind. Etc... A tech Shepard should be able to take the lead on hacking or opening doors in cutscenes. And you can't say it wouldn't work, as from Dragon Age: Origins you get different reactions, actions, and cutscenes if you're a mage, rogue, or warrior.

They're so focused on making sure people won't complain about the new games, that they're ignoring all the complaints that never went away.

This exactly.

Plenty of opportunities to fix stuff. The fact they don't even want to try, proves fixing the game isn't a priority. Scrubbing it of anything that can even remotely offend someone is.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2021 08:31 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Not to mention anything they alter, deeming impure, is giving a middle finger to the actual creators who stood & fought against the bullsh*t they had to put up with from outlets like Fox News in 2007 and now it's possible Fox News may get it's way 13 years later in this new version of ME1 to appease the whiny @$$ percentage that I bet won't even buy the game.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Feb 7th, 2021 at 10:14 PM

Old Post Feb 7th, 2021 10:04 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Nemesis X
Not to mention anything they alter, deeming impure, is giving a middle finger to the actual creators who stood & fought against the bullsh*t they had to put up with from outlets like Fox News in 2007 and now it's possible Fox News may get it's way 13 years later in this new version of ME1 to appease the whiny @$$ percentage that I bet won't even buy the game.

Yeah, I noticed that too.

Its tin foil hat fodder for the "Two party face, one party heart" conspiracy.

I mean, like you said, the censorship happens to be exactly what the Right wanted. The reasons may be different, but you can't deny the results.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2021 10:40 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Originally posted by cdtm
This exactly.

Plenty of opportunities to fix stuff. The fact they don't even want to try, proves fixing the game isn't a priority. Scrubbing it of anything that can even remotely offend someone is.

They are fixing other more important things, though. Mac Walters also said they're fixing the morality system in ME2 to be like the other games, and to be less strict about requiring a very high paragon or renegade reputation to make certain choices.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2021 01:55 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by BackFire
They are fixing other more important things, though. Mac Walters also said they're fixing the morality system in ME2 to be like the other games, and to be less strict about requiring a very high paragon or renegade reputation to make certain choices.

That just strengthens my belief that this remake is gonna be a mixed bag for me. I can see there being things in it that I really like, but at the same time things I really don't. I don't really trust modern Bioware, but I'm always open to being proven wrong.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Feb 8th, 2021 03:18 AM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Originally posted by -Pr-
That just strengthens my belief that this remake is gonna be a mixed bag for me. I can see there being things in it that I really like, but at the same time things I really don't. I don't really trust modern Bioware, but I'm always open to being proven wrong.

Well most of the changes are very minor things. I've read some people don't like the new style of some of the planets, and that's understandable, but everything else seems so small that most people wouldn't even notice it if they hadn't been forthcoming about it and mentioned it prior to release.

Like for me I'm happy with the improved graphics, framerate, controsl and qol changes that they're doing in the first game. The changes to the other games sound so small that it won't really matter too much.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2021 04:46 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by BackFire
Well most of the changes are very minor things. I've read some people don't like the new style of some of the planets, and that's understandable, but everything else seems so small that most people wouldn't even notice it if they hadn't been forthcoming about it and mentioned it prior to release.

Like for me I'm happy with the improved graphics, framerate, controsl and qol changes that they're doing in the first game. The changes to the other games sound so small that it won't really matter too much.

Hopefully not.

I am going to admit I am a bit biased; I play on PC, and naturally, that means I've played a modded Mass Effect 1. I'm not going to be as impressed as someone who, say, only ever played on console. I do love the series though, so as long as they haven't ****ed anything too hard, I'll likely buy the trilogy (and this'll be my third time doing it lol).

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Feb 8th, 2021 05:38 AM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Should it be a little concerning there hasn't been any gameplay previews? May isn't exactly that far away.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2021 01:44 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Maybe...but it is just Mass Effect with better graphics...but nothing too earth shattering.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2021 05:01 AM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Maybe...but it is just Mass Effect with better graphics...but nothing too earth shattering.

You mean besides the changes ME1 is getting?

Old Post Mar 9th, 2021 05:28 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Yeah, a 20 or so minute ME1 demo on IGN wouldn't hurt at this point.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Mar 9th, 2021 09:27 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

It wouldn't hurt and I assume they will be on closer to release date...I would be more worried a new game is not showing anything at this moment but a remastered...even if the combat changes are not as big as we believe, it's still Mass Effect.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2021 12:43 PM