KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » No Hell below us, above us only sky

No Hell below us, above us only sky
Started by: Old Man Whirly!

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

No Hell below us, above us only sky

Jews agree with Lennon, so did Jesus.

The vast majority of these people naturally assume this is what Jesus himself taught. But that is not true. Neither Jesus, nor the Hebrew Bible he interpreted, endorsed the view that departed souls go to paradise or everlasting pain.

Unlike most Greeks, ancient Jews traditionally did not believe the soul could exist at all apart from the body. On the contrary, for them, the soul was more like the “breath.” The first human God created, Adam, began as a lump of clay; then God “breathed” life into him (Genesis 2: 7). Adam remained alive until he stopped breathing. Then it was dust to dust, ashes to ashes.

Ancient Jews thought that was true of us all. When we stop breathing, our breath doesn’t go anywhere. It just stops. So too the “soul” doesn’t continue on outside the body, subject to postmortem pleasure or pain. It doesn’t exist any longer.

The Hebrew Bible itself assumes that the dead are simply dead—that their body lies in the grave, and there is no consciousness, ever again. It is true that some poetic authors, for example in the Psalms, use the mysterious term “Sheol” to describe a person’s new location. But in most instances Sheol is simply a synonym for “tomb” or “grave.” It’s not a place where someone actually goes.

https://time.com/5822598/jesus-really-said-heaven-hell/

Old Post Nov 8th, 2020 08:21 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

U been drinking bruv?

Old Post Nov 8th, 2020 10:35 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Wrong and wrong again, pooty.

Jeez, you sure are wrong a lot. You are probably the person who has been the most wrong ever on the forum.

One wrong statement after another. Just wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, and wrong again... being wrong is just a constant and neverending process with you lol.

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Old Post Nov 8th, 2020 10:56 PM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NostalgiaSearch

Please actually read the bible, Old Man Whirly.

I mean, I don't have the time to do all of the actual hard work for you. So I'll give you just a few examples of why you are wrong:

"But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.” Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.” (Luke 23:43)

"While he was going and they were gazing up toward heaven,
suddenly two men in white robes stood by them. They said,
“Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking up toward heaven?
This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will
come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven.” (Acts 1:11)

"The poor man died and was carried away by the angels to be with Abraham. The rich man also died and was buried" (Luke 16:22).

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2020 03:32 PM
NostalgiaSearch is currently offline Click here to Send NostalgiaSearch a Private Message Find more posts by NostalgiaSearch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

The ignorance of the three posters below my first post is hilarious. Triggered by facts.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2022 10:36 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Surtur & eThneoLgrRnae lived in a constant state of triggered by their ignorance.

That sock is clearly a poster that knows you, but was too much of a sissy coward to retort under their main account for fear of looking like a dunce.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jul 29th, 2022 10:42 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
Surtur & eThneoLgrRnae lived in a constant state of triggered by their ignorance.

That sock is clearly a poster that knows you, but was too much of a sissy coward to retort under their main account for fear of looking like a dunce.
I read Surts meltdown earlier, I'd never read the cause before and wasn't really any part of it. "Black Superman and Coates triggered him... crazy

Last edited by Old Man Whirly! on Jul 29th, 2022 at 10:51 PM

Old Post Jul 29th, 2022 10:45 PM
Patient_Leech
Ungod

I mean, it's an interesting post.

I'm just not sure of the historical accuracy of it.

But it would be entirely unsurprising if "heaven" and "hell" were much later additions to the lore, so to speak.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2022 10:55 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Weren't Surtur and ethneo veterans who suffered injuries during Iraq time and tried to be buddies with Impedement who, actually has a legit disability from combat?

Last Edited by Blakemore on Jan 1st, 2000, at 00:00 AM

Old Post Jul 29th, 2022 11:04 PM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I mean, it's an interesting post.

I'm just not sure of the historical accuracy of it.

But it would be entirely unsurprising if "heaven" and "hell" were much later additions to the lore, so to speak.
it's spot on historically.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2022 01:54 PM
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Blakemore
Weren't Surtur and ethneo veterans who suffered injuries during Iraq time and tried to be buddies with Impedement who, actually has a legit disability from combat?
don't think so. I think ethneo was a Jonah figure, didn't every ship he was on sink like uncle Albert in only fools and horses.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2022 01:55 PM
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
don't think so. I think ethneo was a Jonah figure, didn't every ship he was on sink like uncle Albert in only fools and horses.
He still managed to get to Holland though.

Last Edited by Blakemore on Jan 1st, 2000, at 00:00 AM

Old Post Jul 30th, 2022 04:30 PM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

Jesus said make the most of your time and the Most High will knock on your door 🚪.

Attachment: 4cc33b07-d3b4-476e-9991-f8c0cf0dc79e.jpeg
This has been downloaded 0 time(s).

Ion: Sub-Atomic Power

Old Post Jul 30th, 2022 05:02 PM
Wonder Man is currently offline Click here to Send Wonder Man a Private Message Find more posts by Wonder Man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote