KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Brexit deadline

Brexit deadline
Started by: Blakemore

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
roughrider
Thunderer

They have passed multiple deadlines already with this. I hope this is the one that has consequences, and we get to see how badly Boris Johnson and his sycophants have ****ed themselves & the country for specious reasons.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Nov 20th, 2020 03:26 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
The consensus for quite some time is that Biden will be less inclined to push for a US/UK trade deal than Trump, thus putting pressure on Johnson to give consessions to the EU to get a deal.

This is already happening with Dominic Cummings being sacked.

Johnson was relying on a US deal happening quickly to offset a no deal with the EU. Now he won't get either.
Does that mean stronger relations with the commonwealth over a US centre based trade deal? Because that's what I've wanted from the beginning! Canada style deal baby! This is actually really good as we'll have stronger ties with USA and the commonwealth as well as maintaining trade with the EU.

Last Edited by Blakemore on Jan 1st, 2000, at 00:00 AM

Old Post Nov 20th, 2020 07:13 AM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Artol

I see a couple potential problems with that, for one it is not clear whether commonwealth countries want to have a stronger relationship with the UK, and if they do that would likely include more rights to immigration (from Jamaica, Cameroon and India), which I would suspect is not what a lot of Brexit voting Brits want.

The other problem I see is the relatively weak position the UK is negotiating from, it's not really on the top of the list for most countries, like Jaden said particularly with a Biden presidency, and when the countries want to negotiate a trade deal they will want to get the one most beneficial to them, which will be easier from the weaker position the UK finds itself in.

An example is the recent trade deal that the UK negotiated with Japan. Which might be most accurately described as the "the UK can have the EU's sloppy seconds, if there's any left deal". It's not a great situation economically, imo.

Old Post Nov 20th, 2020 07:49 AM
Artol is currently offline Click here to Send Artol a Private Message Find more posts by Artol Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Originally posted by Blakemore
Does that mean stronger relations with the commonwealth over a US centre based trade deal? Because that's what I've wanted from the beginning! Canada style deal baby! This is actually really good as we'll have stronger ties with USA and the commonwealth as well as maintaining trade with the EU.

No. Because they've done nothing to pursue that.

And a "Canada style deal" means a deal with the EU similar to the deal Canada has with the EU. Not a deal with Canada similar to what the EU has.

Old Post Nov 20th, 2020 09:16 AM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Artol
I see a couple potential problems with that, for one it is not clear whether commonwealth countries want to have a stronger relationship with the UK, and if they do that would likely include more rights to immigration (from Jamaica, Cameroon and India), which I would suspect is not what a lot of Brexit voting Brits want.
We already have a lot of Jamaican, Indian and Nigerian immigration (not sure about Cameroon) in Britain and most Brits, including the Brexiteers are okay with that.

Here's a Brexiteer I listen to a lot and have subbed to him for a long time. He's not white, which I think was your overall point.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...unak_crop_2.jpg Our Chancellor of the Exchequer.

https://e3.365dm.com/20/11/1600x900...?20201103165017 Our home secratary.

We're quite a diverse and tolerant people, it's not like the 70s anymore. There are white people who live in those countries too.

quote:

The other problem I see is the relatively weak position the UK is negotiating from, it's not really on the top of the list for most countries, like Jaden said particularly with a Biden presidency, and when the countries want to negotiate a trade deal they will want to get the one most beneficial to them, which will be easier from the weaker position the UK finds itself in.

An example is the recent trade deal that the UK negotiated with Japan. Which might be most accurately described as the "the UK can have the EU's sloppy seconds, if there's any left deal". It's not a great situation economically, imo.

In the video I posted in the OP, Biden went to Johnson first. We're no1 on his list.

Last edited by Blakemore on Nov 20th, 2020 at 09:55 AM

Old Post Nov 20th, 2020 09:41 AM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Side note A:
I'd like to know how Canada, Australia and NZ feel about this. Since the 80s they've had less and less trade with the UK and more with the US. The US is the biggest influence on them culturally too as can be seen in their media. Watch a NZ or Australian film from the 70s or 80s, and it looks like a classic British heist/drinking/bond film. Watch one after the millennium, it's another westerner/road movie.

Side note B:
When I walk into shops, most of the products are in foreign languages, I can't even read them! I once asked for soap, the guy showed me soup! When I went to Spain a few years ago, a Dutch person was amazed I was English and all the locals loved the fact an English couple would visit Barcelona (we're not together anymore) and American English is taught in more countries than British English. We only have the commonwealth countries and even they do more trade with the US.

The truth is, Britain is no longer as influential as it once was ever since we made the EU our biggest trader. I think the Lisbon treaty made it so Europe would not get involved if the Biritsh government decide to hold a referendum. I guess they thought we'd vote Remain. Showed them!

Old Post Nov 20th, 2020 10:12 AM
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Farage is going full attack mode. I'm not actually that comfortable with some of the words he used, but we'll see soon enough what Johnson can do.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2020 10:41 AM
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Still no f'ing deal.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2020 11:30 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Classic Boris.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Dec 7th, 2020 01:13 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by -Pr-
Classic Boris.
I'm worried. I can't see an alternative.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2020 01:23 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I'm worried. I can't see an alternative.

I don't either. It would be easy to be snarky and say "I told you so", but tbh, Johnson, Farrage (sp?) et all have ****ing screwed everyone, and they knew exactly what they were doing. And now they're trying to gaslight the British public by claiming they never said they would have a deal in place.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Dec 7th, 2020 03:39 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Artol

First paragraph is wrong. Canadians, Australians, New Zealeanders, Jamacians, Trinidad and Tobagans, Bermudans, Easter Islanders, Malaysians, Honk Kone-ese, ------------- I could go on. I think we all get the point.

Originally posted by -Pr-
I don't either. It would be easy to be snarky and say "I told you so", but tbh, Johnson, Farrage (sp?) et all have ****ing screwed everyone, and they knew exactly what they were doing. And now they're trying to gaslight the British public by claiming they never said they would have a deal in place.
They probs just gambled on Trump. erm I wish that wasn't the case.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2020 03:48 PM
jaden_2.0
Awful

Still no f'ing deal.

There was never any chance of a deal.

This video explained why perfectly and this was when Theresa May was Prime Minister. The UK government have hardened their position under Boris Johnson.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2020 06:59 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

As I understood it, there were 5 different ways.

1. No brexit.
2. Light brexit similar to Norway
3. Chequers union, May's idea
4. Canada style Brexit so we're close to their deal with the EU. (What I wanted)
5. No deal with the EU.

I guess we're going with a no deal. sad ffs.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2020 07:17 PM
jaden_2.0
Awful

1. Too late. Already in the transition period.

2. Impossible given that Norway has freedom of movement etc as per the video I posted

3. No idea what that is.

4. The Canada/EU deal took almost a decade to agree and sign. The UK has 3 weeks.

5. That's what it will be

Old Post Dec 7th, 2020 07:21 PM
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by jaden_2.0
1. Too late. Already in the transition period.

2. Impossible given that Norway has freedom of movement etc as per the video I posted

3. No idea what that is.

4. The Canada/EU deal took almost a decade to agree and sign. The UK has 3 weeks.

5. That's what it will be
3 was a compromise, mostly between NI, ROI and GB in creating a water boundary between Ireland and Great Britain. Long story short, it didn't work out. erm

Last edited by Blakemore on Dec 7th, 2020 at 07:37 PM

Old Post Dec 7th, 2020 07:35 PM
jaden_2.0
Awful

Ah yeah. That nonsense border in the sea that would never work.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2020 08:18 PM
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

It never would've.erm

Old Post Dec 7th, 2020 08:40 PM
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

My hopes are we could stabilise a water boundary and be stronger on immigration yet still doing trade with the commonwealth, USA, east Asian countries, south Asian countries and the EU. Having said that, we're still gonna take British waters for ourselves. FU.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2020 06:17 PM
Rage.Of.Olympus

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/09/busi...exit/index.html

"Hambach presented us with a unique opportunity that we simply could not ignore: to buy a modern automotive manufacturing facility with a world-class workforce," Ratcliffe said in a statement.

That honestly reads like an onion piece. I feel bad for many people in the UK. The automotive manufacturing industry was such a big portion of the low-skilled labor, and was a massive contribution to GDP. The uncertainty of Brexit has gutted the industry, and will probably hurt the people who voted for Brexit the most. Even white-collar jobs in finance have been hurt (Declining in posting and capital outflow).

Old Post Dec 9th, 2020 03:47 PM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote