KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movie Versus Forum » Wonder Woman & Aquaman runs the gauntlet

Wonder Woman & Aquaman runs the gauntlet
Started by: HumbleServant

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
HumbleServant

How much do you guys think aquaman can lift, 100 tons or 1000 tons or another number?

Old Post Dec 1st, 2020 11:50 PM
HumbleServant is currently offline Click here to Send HumbleServant a Private Message Find more posts by HumbleServant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by FrothByte
Aquaman got knocked out for a 10 count by a grenade launcher and doesn't have the feats to match Thor's destructive output.

He also laughed off falling through a 6 story building and a laser that destroyed a small island. The grenade is lowballing him

And him lifting a submarine is still a better strength feat than anything thor has done without his ragnorok upgrade

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2020 03:42 AM
NotAllThatEvil is currently offline Click here to Send NotAllThatEvil a Private Message Find more posts by NotAllThatEvil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FrothByte
Nailcutter Massacre

Originally posted by NotAllThatEvil
He also laughed off falling through a 6 story building and a laser that destroyed a small island. The grenade is lowballing him

And him lifting a submarine is still a better strength feat than anything thor has done without his ragnorok upgrade

Taking a grenade point blank to the chest will destroy the human body much more thoroughly than crashing 6 stories (through a bunch of broken floors) will. That laser blast scorched and hurt Aquaman.

As for lifting the submarine, that was definitely an impressive feat, but let's not forget that was underwater. Still, you're right that it's a better lifting feat than Thor has but this is not a lifting competition. What kind of attacks does Aquaman have to match Thor’s destructive output?

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2020 10:15 AM
FrothByte is currently offline Click here to Send FrothByte a Private Message Find more posts by FrothByte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

Lifting it underwater makes it more impressive. Plus he got beat up by the kraken for a solid few minutes.

Considering loki, who is much weaker than aquaman, was able to stab pre ragnorok thor with his tiny knife, I think aquaman's big fork will be enough

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2020 03:05 PM
NotAllThatEvil is currently offline Click here to Send NotAllThatEvil a Private Message Find more posts by NotAllThatEvil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

The Nidavelir rings feat pretty easily shits on Arthur's submarine feat.

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2020 08:34 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

The one he did after the ragnorok upgrade and had a rocket helping with?

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2020 12:02 AM
Silent Master

The ship only helped him in the sense that it gave him something to apply his strength against

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2020 12:48 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

When thor initially threw the ship, the rings did not move. It was the rocket that pulled them. Impressive group strength, but it wasn't thor who moved the rings

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2020 12:59 AM
FrothByte
Nailcutter Massacre

Originally posted by NotAllThatEvil
Lifting it underwater makes it more impressive. Plus he got beat up by the kraken for a solid few minutes.

Considering loki, who is much weaker than aquaman, was able to stab pre ragnorok thor with his tiny knife, I think aquaman's big fork will be enough

Objects "weigh" less in water due to buoyancy. Aquaman also has a torpedo-like propulsion under water which he used to push the submarine. He's unable to do that outside water, which means he clearly gets some sort of amp underwater.

There was no proof that Thor got a physical strength upgrade after Ragnarok, as the only thing that happened is that his lightning powers were fully unlocked. So I'm not sure why you keep disregarding the Nidavellir feat.

And if you think Aquaman is skilled enough to stab Thor with his pitchfork before he gets smashed in the face with Mjolnir, then you need to rewatch those movies.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2020 02:14 AM
FrothByte is currently offline Click here to Send FrothByte a Private Message Find more posts by FrothByte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

But water provides resistance so moving stuff underwater is much more difficult. And the propulsion comes from kicking their feetsies with super strength. Why you think he can't lift a submarine out of water. Dude briefly held off superman.

Before ragnorok upgrade, thor was a little weaker than hulk. With it he was kicking hulk's butt. Ergo, pre ragnorok thor was significantly weaker.

What makes you think aquaman is less skilled than Thor? Both took out several nooks at once. Both defeated skilled opponents. You can argue thor has more experience being older, but that doesn't necessarily mean more skilled

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2020 02:46 AM
h1a8

Originally posted by carthage
The Nidavelir rings feat pretty easily shits on Arthur's submarine feat.
No they don't. The rings were stuck because of the ice. The rings were applying a force along with Thor. What if Thor needed only to apply 50 tons of force or less to HELP break the ice?

-General Zod: Superman II

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2020 03:23 AM
h1a8 is currently offline Click here to Send h1a8 a Private Message Find more posts by h1a8 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
h1a8

Originally posted by FrothByte
Objects "weigh" less in water due to buoyancy. Aquaman also has a torpedo-like propulsion under water which he used to push the submarine. He's unable to do that outside water, which means he clearly gets some sort of amp underwater.

There was no proof that Thor got a physical strength upgrade after Ragnarok, as the only thing that happened is that his lightning powers were fully unlocked. So I'm not sure why you keep disregarding the Nidavellir feat.

And if you think Aquaman is skilled enough to stab Thor with his pitchfork before he gets smashed in the face with Mjolnir, then you need to rewatch those movies.
The drag force in water is more than 800 times that in air. Plus the force required to overpower inertia (F =MA). Just moving the submarine with that speed is beyond imagination in the level of force.

F > 1000v^2 + MA + weight

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2020 03:29 AM
h1a8 is currently offline Click here to Send h1a8 a Private Message Find more posts by h1a8 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Originally posted by h1a8
No they don't. The rings were stuck because of the ice. The rings were applying a force along with Thor. What if Thor needed only to apply 50 tons of force or less to HELP break the ice?

What if Thor needed to apply 938 quadrillion tons of force?

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2020 07:54 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
h1a8

Originally posted by Silent Master
What if Thor needed to apply 938 quadrillion tons of force?
Then he was applying 938 quadrillion tons of force.

I'm sure you know the point. We can't quantify, to any degree of accuracy, the amount of force Thor applied since we don't know both how much force the rings were applying and the strength of the ice.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2020 02:31 PM
Silent Master

Same is true for Aquaman and Wonder Woman's feats.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2020 03:30 PM
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

Except we can with the submarine, as he was to only one applying force. For the ring feat, we have thor + a rocket + the rings(maybe). It could have been 90% thor and 10% rocket. Or it could have been 2% thor and 90% rocket and 8% rings. All we know is thor couldn't do it alone.
The submarine, however, is 100% aquaman

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2020 04:34 PM
h1a8

Same is true for Aquaman and Wonder Woman's feats.
Some of their feats can be quantified to a certain degree of accuracy. Most importantly, it is about whether we can PROVE a lower bound for a feat (prove that a feat exceeds a certain amount).

For example, it can be proven that WW lifted more than 10 tons in her tank feat. Therefore 9tons is a lower bound and we can use 9 tons to argue her minimum strength in a forum.

In general, Any amount that can be proven is less than the actual amount is a lower bound. For example, If I can prove 1000 tons is less than the actual amount then 1000 tons can be used as a lower bound as argued for a character's minimum strength.

This is how we quantify feats (with lower bounds).

Last edited by h1a8 on Dec 3rd, 2020 at 06:46 PM

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2020 06:43 PM
Silent Master

"Certain degree of accuracy"

Translation: They can't actually be quantified. but you'll handwave it because it helps your side.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2020 12:19 AM
h1a8

"Certain degree of accuracy"

Translation: They can't actually be quantified. but you'll handwave it because it helps your side.
You are moving the goalposts. The argument is about accuracy, not exactness.

But all that is irrelevant in light of the lower bound rule I gave.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2020 12:28 AM
Silent Master

Nope, using the same "h1" standards for both. if you can't accurately quantify the feats, they can't be used.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2020 12:32 AM