KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movie Versus Forum » Wonder Woman & Aquaman runs the gauntlet

Wonder Woman & Aquaman runs the gauntlet
Started by: HumbleServant

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

Why can't the submarine be quarantined?

Old Post Dec 4th, 2020 01:06 AM
NotAllThatEvil is currently offline Click here to Send NotAllThatEvil a Private Message Find more posts by NotAllThatEvil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

what?

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Last edited by Silent Master on Dec 4th, 2020 at 01:35 AM

Old Post Dec 4th, 2020 01:23 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FrothByte
Nailcutter Massacre

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NotAllThatEvil
But water provides resistance so moving stuff underwater is much more difficult. And the propulsion comes from kicking their feetsies with super strength. Why you think he can't lift a submarine out of water. Dude briefly held off superman.

Before ragnorok upgrade, thor was a little weaker than hulk. With it he was kicking hulk's butt. Ergo, pre ragnorok thor was significantly weaker.

What makes you think aquaman is less skilled than Thor? Both took out several nooks at once. Both defeated skilled opponents. You can argue thor has more experience being older, but that doesn't necessarily mean more skilled

Water resistance does make things a bit more difficult to move but it's nothing compared to the weight of the submarine. In other words, I've personally tried dragging/pulling a 300 pound man through the water but I definitely could not lift a 300 pound man on land.

Now the submarine was not floating at the top of the water but it wasn't completely sunk to the bottom, which means buoyancy was lifting a good portion of it's weight. Whatever water resistance was present when Aquaman pushed that submarine is extremely minimal when compared to the weight that buoyancy was counteracting.

As for Thor, he never fought Hulk after his upgrade. He fought Hulk twice, once in Avengers and once in Ragnarok BEFORE his powers were fully unlocked. Ergo, it's the same Thor without an upgrade. The most you can argue is that he's a bit more experienced.

Now when it comes to skill, Thor has fought and defeated higher caliber opponents than Aquaman and in less ideal circumstances. That makes him more skilled.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2020 03:51 AM
FrothByte is currently offline Click here to Send FrothByte a Private Message Find more posts by FrothByte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

Water resistance is huge considering the surface area of the sub, especially since he lifted it straight up. Overcoming the drag at that speed is way more impressive than if he just lifted it on land.

He fought hulk in avengers 1, and was losing until he summoned mjonir, and in ragnorok , where he was losing until he turned on god mode. Both times his strength alone was not enough to beat hulk.

Has he though? He beat loki in thor and avengers, and the dark elf guy whose name escapes me. Neither, I would argue, is as impressive as ocean master. Aquaman has the disadvantage of only being in 2 movies, but he was really impressive in those 2

Old Post Dec 4th, 2020 05:25 AM
NotAllThatEvil is currently offline Click here to Send NotAllThatEvil a Private Message Find more posts by NotAllThatEvil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Not true at all. Drag from water resistance is also based on velocity. And Aquaman is pushing the sub pretty damn fast. I would expect that the drag was far greater than the force of buoyancy making the feat for more impressive than if he just lifted it on land.

Edit: Beaten to the punch I see.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2020 05:30 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FrothByte
Nailcutter Massacre

Water resistance is huge considering the surface area of the sub, especially since he lifted it straight up. Overcoming the drag at that speed is way more impressive than if he just lifted it on land.

He fought hulk in avengers 1, and was losing until he summoned mjonir, and in ragnorok , where he was losing until he turned on god mode. Both times his strength alone was not enough to beat hulk.

Has he though? He beat loki in thor and avengers, and the dark elf guy whose name escapes me. Neither, I would argue, is as impressive as ocean master. Aquaman has the disadvantage of only being in 2 movies, but he was really impressive in those 2

I'm not completely disregarding your points, it would be nice to get some numbers so we can see if the drag is more than the buoyancy. Still, overcoming that drag due to speed isn't quite as difficult for him since, as I mentioned, underwater he's able to launch himself at torpedo-like speeds so he clearly gets a huge speed boost underwater.

I rewatched the scenes where he was swimming, he wasn't moving his feet when he did that torpedo-swimming thing. And that's what he used to push the submarine to the surface. He doesn't have this power while on land, so it's not quite that transferrable to this match unless this takes place underwater.

As for Thor and Hulk, I think you're getting off track now. Originally you claimed Thor's upgrade also increased his strength and used his fight against Hulk to back it up. I pointed out that he never fought Hulk post upgrade. Are you willing to retract your statement now about his strength upgrade?

Thor beat Loki twice, beat Surtur, beat the Destroyer, outfought Hela in the throne room but lost due to her healing factor, managed to give Hulk a good fight despite being weaker than Hulk, was beating up Ironman before they were interrupted, has easily taken out various superpowered fodder like frost giants, dark elves, Surtur's minions, etc.

Now let's get to Aquaman. The fodder he easily takes out were usually massively weaker than him like human pirates or parademons. When Aquaman fought superpowered fodder like other Atlanteans, he couldn't quite steamroll them like Thor did frost giants stuff. He only ever fought two opponents who were stronger than him who were Superman and Steppenwolf, and he failed to give as good a showing against those opponents as compared to how Thor fought stronger opponents like Hulk, Hela, Malekith w/ Infinity stone, etc. Aquaman fought his brother twice but only won once (whereas Thor beats his brother everytime they fight).

Old Post Dec 4th, 2020 06:07 AM
FrothByte is currently offline Click here to Send FrothByte a Private Message Find more posts by FrothByte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
h1a8

Originally posted by Silent Master

If you can't prove a lower bound then you can't assign a value to the feat

Correct. As that's the universal standard here.

-General Zod: Superman II

Old Post Dec 4th, 2020 02:02 PM
h1a8 is currently offline Click here to Send h1a8 a Private Message Find more posts by h1a8 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
h1a8

Originally posted by FrothByte
I'm not completely disregarding your points, it would be nice to get some numbers so we can see if the drag is more than the buoyancy. Still, overcoming that drag due to speed isn't quite as difficult for him since, as I mentioned, underwater he's able to launch himself at torpedo-like speeds so he clearly gets a huge speed boost underwater.

I rewatched the scenes where he was swimming, he wasn't moving his feet when he did that torpedo-swimming thing. And that's what he used to push the submarine to the surface. He doesn't have this power while on land, so it's not quite that transferrable to this match unless this takes place underwater.

As for Thor and Hulk, I think you're getting off track now. Originally you claimed Thor's upgrade also increased his strength and used his fight against Hulk to back it up. I pointed out that he never fought Hulk post upgrade. Are you willing to retract your statement now about his strength upgrade?

Thor beat Loki twice, beat Surtur, beat the Destroyer, outfought Hela in the throne room but lost due to her healing factor, managed to give Hulk a good fight despite being weaker than Hulk, was beating up Ironman before they were interrupted, has easily taken out various superpowered fodder like frost giants, dark elves, Surtur's minions, etc.

Now let's get to Aquaman. The fodder he easily takes out were usually massively weaker than him like human pirates or parademons. When Aquaman fought superpowered fodder like other Atlanteans, he couldn't quite steamroll them like Thor did frost giants stuff. He only ever fought two opponents who were stronger than him who were Superman and Steppenwolf, and he failed to give as good a showing against those opponents as compared to how Thor fought stronger opponents like Hulk, Hela, Malekith w/ Infinity stone, etc. Aquaman fought his brother twice but only won once (whereas Thor beats his brother everytime they fight).

The force of drag
F = 1/2pAc * v^2

Where A is the cross sectional area, p is the density of the fluid, c is the drag coefficient, and v is the velocity.

I gave you the force equation in my other post. I guess you guys didn't read it.

Total force = drag + inertial acceleration + weight - buoyant force

> 1000v^2 + mass*acceleration

You guys can find a lower estimate for the velocity and acceleration.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2020 02:10 PM
h1a8 is currently offline Click here to Send h1a8 a Private Message Find more posts by h1a8 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Originally posted by h1a8
Correct. As that's the universal standard here.

Then by all means, accurately quantify Aquaman's feat.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2020 05:18 PM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
h1a8

Originally posted by Silent Master
Then by all means, accurately quantify Aquaman's feat.
You mean prove a lower bound?

Old Post Dec 4th, 2020 06:45 PM
Silent Master

I mean, accurately quantify Aquaman's feat.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2020 07:16 PM
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2020 08:36 PM
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

We see in the flashback that aquaman does the propulsion thing by doing a big kick that sends him rocketing in the water. If he wasn't kicking for the submarine, that means he did it with just one kick. Which is more impressive.

Thor was losing to hulk. turned on his god mode, then started beating hulk. I don't know how you can argue he wasn't stronger when using it? He literally upgraded mid fight.

Surtur is impressive, but surtur was also losing to hulk, so....I wouldn't say loki or the frost giants were particularly impressive since SIF and loki were taking them down...with small daggers.

I think you're downplaying aquaman's fodder. Every atlantean is roughly as strong as he is. Heck, even a no name cop was able to beat him down. By the end of the movie, aquaman was taking out several at once. Plus black manta, who had an atlantean war suit with lasers that could destroy islands. If you want to bring up aquaman not doing great against Clark or stepp, I would like to remind you thanos, with no stones, humiliated thor in infinity war, and kurse as well. Superman is the strongest being in the DC verse currently.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2020 08:49 PM
FrothByte
Nailcutter Massacre

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pU1kngVYIh0

Nice. Now we know that Aquaman is massively stronger than Superman after all.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2020 09:00 PM
FrothByte
Nailcutter Massacre

We see in the flashback that aquaman does the propulsion thing by doing a big kick that sends him rocketing in the water. If he wasn't kicking for the submarine, that means he did it with just one kick. Which is more impressive.

Thor was losing to hulk. turned on his god mode, then started beating hulk. I don't know how you can argue he wasn't stronger when using it? He literally upgraded mid fight.

Surtur is impressive, but surtur was also losing to hulk, so....I wouldn't say loki or the frost giants were particularly impressive since SIF and loki were taking them down...with small daggers.

I think you're downplaying aquaman's fodder. Every atlantean is roughly as strong as he is. Heck, even a no name cop was able to beat him down. By the end of the movie, aquaman was taking out several at once. Plus black manta, who had an atlantean war suit with lasers that could destroy islands. If you want to bring up aquaman not doing great against Clark or stepp, I would like to remind you thanos, with no stones, humiliated thor in infinity war, and kurse as well. Superman is the strongest being in the DC verse currently.

So what you're saying is that, with a single kick of Aquaman's legs while under water, he was so strong that this was able to propel him with enough force to push that submarine hundreds of meters up towards the surface? That with a single kick of his legs he was able to push, according to your video link, 579,283 tons of force?

Well sh!t dude, with strength like that I guess Aquaman would solo the entire Avengers and Justice League roster on his own. Heck, he must have been holding back something fierce to not simply turn Steppenwolf to paste with a single punch. You've convinced me, Aquaman is now physically the strongest comic movie character we've seen.

As for Thor, he turned on his "god-mode" by activating his lightning and blasting Hulk with it. I fail to see how this amped his strength like you claimed earlier.

And sure, if you want to ignore the fact that Thor was completely out of shape when he fought Thanos go for it. That's obviously not lowballing or anything right? Definitely the same thing as Aquaman being in his physical prime.

I also seem to recall Thor being made the equal of a human in the first Thor movie. He didn't seem to struggle with the SHIELD agents as much as Aquaman struggled against the Atlanteans but whatever. Guess every Atlantean is roughly strong enough easily push 579,283 tons with but a single kick of their legs so they're clearly much tougher opponents.

Last edited by FrothByte on Dec 4th, 2020 at 09:11 PM

Old Post Dec 4th, 2020 09:08 PM
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

Thor wasn't out of shape at the beginning of infinity war?

Old Post Dec 4th, 2020 11:10 PM
FrothByte
Nailcutter Massacre

Thor wasn't out of shape at the beginning of infinity war?

I certainly didn't see Thanos fighting a fit and healthy Thor at the beginning of Infinity War.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2020 11:12 PM
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

You're right, it was much closer to a massacre

Old Post Dec 5th, 2020 05:24 AM
ares834

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pU1kngVYIh0

Absolutely retarded. He's not lifting any water, it does move to the side and that's accounted for with drag.

Nice. Now we know that Aquaman is massively stronger than Superman after all.

Even if the video was accurate, Superman stomping of Steppenwolf and his manhandling of Aquaman shows him to be far stronger.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2020 06:40 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FrothByte
Nailcutter Massacre

You're right, it was much closer to a massacre

That was performed against an unfit, unhealthy Thor.

Old Post Dec 5th, 2020 09:41 AM